Sign in to follow this  
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Report: Chrysler Sebring name to live on, at least until all-new model arrives

Report: Chrysler Sebring name to live on, at least until all-new model arrives

by Sam Abuelsamid (RSS feed) on May 13th 2010 at 10:58AM

Despite the fact it adorns one of the most derided cars on the U.S. market today, the Sebring badge will apparently survive for at least another couple of years. Recent reports had indicated that Chrysler wanted to make a clean break with its refreshed mid-sized sedan later this year by applying the name Nassau, last used on a 2007 concept car.

However, the cost of launching an all-new brand, which is estimated at $100 million, convinced the staff in Auburn Hills and Turin that it might be better to hold off until an all-new car was ready to hit the streets. Unfortunately, that's still some time off. This isn't the first time we've heard of an automaker retaining a tainted brand because of the high cost of marketing a new one. General Motors opted to keep the Aveo name for its new B-segment Chevrolet that's arriving next year for that very reason.

Frankly, we'd rather see $100 million spent on creating a better car that can sell itself than on trying to market a new name.

link:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/05/13/chrysler-sebring-name-to-live-on-at-least-until-all-new/

Sebring Name Survives

Chrysler thinks twice about Nassau name change.

by Joseph Szczesny on May.10, 2010

Chrysler apparently will stick with the Sebring name despite the failures of the current model, shown here at its 2007 model-year launch.

Chrysler Group LLC has apparently had some second thoughts about replacing the Sebring name. Despite a flurry of speculation in the press that the name was history, the change from Sebring to Nassau has been scuttled.

Instead it now appears, after some internal debate, Chrysler is prepared to keep the Sebring badhr around for at least a little while longer, according to one inside source with first-hand knowledge of the naming debate.

“As of last week, the name was still Sebring,” the source said.

The proposed name change was widely reported but was never confirmed officially by anyone at Chrysler after the stories first appeared. Insiders indicated that the “new” Chryler had hoped to make a break with the past, a strategy that seemed simple and logical considering the abject failure of the latest-generation midsize sedans and convertibles, a product of a now-abandoned joint venture between Chrysler and Japan’s Mitsubishi.

Even if it does survive the launch of a restyled model, in the months ahead, the Sebring name probably is on its last legs but Chrysler officials appear to have decided. The real question is more a matter of timing than anything else.

Going to Nassau could have been a costly fix, as the all-new version, now under development using a Fiat platform, might get yet another name. Industry analysts contend that the effective launch of a new nameplate into the U.S. market costs as much as $100 million more, on marketing, than it would to promote a new vehicle using the old name.

Nonetheless, even though the Nassau name has been set aside, at least for now, what will likely still be called Sebring gets a significant update in styling, especially on the interior, for 2011.

link:

http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2010/05/sebring-name-survives/

Names can be turned around. I bet Aveo will turn around, as will Focus, as Lacrosse already has, as Equinox already has.

Chrysler could even keep the Sebring name forever as long as the car they attach it to blows away the competition.

Names can be turned around. I bet Aveo will turn around, as will Focus, as Lacrosse already has, as Equinox already has.

Chrysler could even keep the Sebring name forever as long as the car they attach it to blows away the competition.

i would tend to agree. i actually think Chevy can really build on the new Aveo if its a huge improvement. Lots of people began to know what an Aveo was.

Sebring is a good name and has been around a long time. Nassau would have caused confusion and they would have been back at square one.

Look at Sonata, LaCrosse, Equinox, the Kia Sportage and Sorento and Optima.....Taurus..........Fiesta, Focus

I was really excited about the "Nassau" name, but I can fully understand why Chrysler may decide to stick with "Sebring". I would rather see the money they would have invested in trying to launch a new model name used to actually improve the car instead. It would be cool if Chrysler can transform the "Sebring" name like Ford has done with "Fusion", Chevrolet with "Malibu", and Buick with "LaCrosse". I am anxious to see how the significantly revised version turns out.