1. 1. How long is your commute?

• 1 - 10 minutes
    • 10 - 30 minutes
    • 30 minutes - 1 hour
    • 1 - 1.5 hours
    • 1.5 - 2 hours
    • 2+ hours

How long is your work commute?

If it's a long commute, how do you manage it?

I'm curious because I a company has contacted me with interest, but if I hypothetically got the job, it's 1 hour and 49 minutes each way. I don't know if I could do that 5 days a week. If you have a commute like that, how do you manage it? :wacko:

My current Phoenix area commute is about 25 miles each way....about 35 min in the morning, 40-50 min in the afternoon. Quite easy, mix of city/freeway/suburbia on 3 freeways. I listen to NPR or music. I usually work from home 1 day a week.

In the last 13 years, I've had a wide mix of commutes, some shorter, a couple longer.

My worst was about 65 miles each way from Colorado Springs to the Denver suburbs in 2002.. I did it for about 2 1/2 months before moving from the Springs to Denver (which was my plan when taking that job). It was tolerable in the late spring/early summer, but I couldn't imagine doing it in winter weather. Though I know a number of people that are rooted in one metro area or the other that have been doing this commute year round for years. I don't think I could do it.

A long commute that is tolerable in dry weather can be intolerable in incliment weather.

Right now it is 45 km, about 43 km of that being on the 401. Traffic slows it down, but it's still not that bad. 35-50 mins each way depending on traffic. That length of commute doesn't bother me at all.

My worst commute was back after first year University, when I was living at home in Brantford and commuting to eastern Mississauga. Bad traffic both ways, pretty much all the time. Anywhere from 1.5 to 3 hours each way, depending on how bad the jam was that day. I dealt with that through the knowledge that it was not forever - just for the summer, and it was a really good opportunity for me.

If it's a long commute, how do you manage it?

I'm curious because I a company has contacted me with interest, but if I hypothetically got the job, it's 1 hour and 49 minutes each way. I don't know if I could do that 5 days a week. If you have a commute like that, how do you manage it? :wacko:

They'd better be paying you for the commute, or paying you a heck of a lot of money, or paying you very reasonable money for short hours. An 8 hour work day turns into 12 hours. You'd be surrendering a lot of social and/or family life for work. Hard for any job to be worth that.

5-10 minutes by car, 35 minutes by bus at Location A; Location B is 25 minutes by car, 80 minutes by transit (25 is walking to the damn station).

Now in your case, look at how much you'll be getting paid and decide if it's worth it...then decide if you want the job. And then begin the search for housing that is closer to your work.

Edited by Croc

Roughly 20 minutes each way.

However, my job is on a two-lane road in a rural part of the county, and they've been doing construction recently, which has resulted in them having to close one lane at a time. :angry:

Mine is about 15-20 mins, depending on traffic. I go against the gridlock, thank God.

In terms of your job, Dodgefan, I would recommend taking it even if the pay isn't that great. Jobs are few and far between, experience is always good, and you can keep looking for better opportunities.

It's 1 hour and 49 minutes each way. I don't know if I could do that 5 days a week. If you have a commute like that, how do you manage it?

I drove from Oil City MI to Grand Rapids MI every day for a year and a half. 2 hours each way in good traffic. Went through one engine on the Grand AM and countless $$$ in gas.

You actually get used to the drive, but it is a HUGE drain on personal/family time. I would not do that again unless it was for a boat load of money.

My old job was a 35 mile drive that took about 45 minutes (all highway against rush hour since 98 percent of people head towards NYC in the morning and I headed away and vice versa at night.) It was a relaxing drive for the most part with only about 2 miles of non highway total. Cost me about 150 a month in gas.

My new job is only about 20-25 miles but about an 50-60 min. 15 min walk to the train station, 30 min traind raide then 10-15 walk to the office. The train ride is relaxing as long as they arent short a car. The monthly ticket from New Rochelle to Grand central in NYC is 186 bucks but I pay for it pretax so it saves me a little money (actually kept my adjusted income down just enough to avoid the next tax bracket!) The only time this commute sucks is when its raining out or fridgid cold in the winter. I usually tough the cold out but I hate getting soaked so I usually end up paying for cabs.

Either way I don't think I would would want to take on a commute over an hour long term if I had a choice. Still, a jobs a job and you can always move on if a better one comes a long.

35 minutes for 10 miles? Is that Phoenix? Must be terrible traffic...

Sounds like it...I've never had to commute on the 17...it's the worst, along w/ the 10 thorough the downtown and to the west, I think.

I commute on the 51, the 10 east bound to the 202 Santan in Chandler..since I'm going reverse of the heavy flow, it's usually mild...worse in the afternoon/evening around the 10/51/airport area. I used to commute on the 51 N to the 101 out to N. Scottsdale, that usually took longer though shorter than my commute now.

My best commute was when I worked downtown, just surface streets all the way..

It all depends on how 95 is. With no delays either way (something that is becoming increasingly rarer), my 12 mile drive takes 20 minutes. When 95 is backed-up, it can take an hour to make the same trip.

My current commute is about 20 minutes. A few years ago I had a 2-hour commute each way, for about a year. The way I did it was that I stayed overnight at a hotel at the city of employment two days a week, normally Monday and Thursday nights. I look back and I was tired all the time that year.

I'm just glad I don't have to fly every week...I don't know how people do it. My sister is a management consultant, and many of her gigs over the last 10 years have involved weekly travel...4000 miles a week the first 3 months this year between AZ and SC. At her current client in Michigan, there is one consultant that drives back and forth from Pittsburgh every week--over 400 miles each way.

I just don't think I could physically do it, living out of hotels, a different rental car every week, and anywhere from 4 to 12 hrs a week flying, plus time in airports, delayed flights...

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar