Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

C&G Spy Shots: Zeta Commodore!

Guest Josh

Check out our 2nd spy pic. The REAR of Zeta featuring MASSIVE quad exhaust pipes and Holden Torana like styling!

http://www.cheersandgears.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=659

To build on the excitement of General Motors worldwide products C&G has obtained the rights to publish this image of the 2007 Holden Commodore. What's so special about this vehicle? It is based upon the hottest of hot architectures General Motors currently has to offer.

No, I'm not talking about in terms of sales, but rather speculation and rumors that have spread rampant around the 'net since C&G first broke the story some three years ago on the old boards of Zeta.

There have been many rumors on not if but when the new Chevrolet Camaro would return and if it will be on this architecture. We'll try our best to dispel rumors and put this program into full perspective as best we can.

The spy shot is obviously that of the Holden Commodore, the four door sedan for use in the Australian market as well as other Middle Eastern markets as various rebadges and renames.

What C&G Knows About Zeta

- Zeta was created by General Motors Holden division as a means to replace its "V" model vehicles for the '07 MY.
- GM North America quickly caught wind of this program and immediately began to look into it for the North American market.
- The vehicle was deemed too expensive for the NA market thus the reason it was ditched.

What vehicles can the US expect to see?
- Rumors still state the Pontiac G8 is still set for release on Zeta
- We know the Pontiac GTO will be coming in '08 with a nose that is said to look slightly like that of the Commodore
- Buick may also be receiving a version from Australia, most likely a RWD two seat roadster, sedan OR BOTH.

While General Motors has done an excellent job with the disguise you can clearly tell the camo job in the rear is just that, a camo job. There's no hatch there. Just a vehicle being moved by the correct set of wheels.

Posted Image

**CheersandGears.com has paid for rights to publish this image on-line. Do NOT LINK TO the image or take any information from this story. Simply "Copy" & "Paste" a link to this news story.**

The pictures evok posted look like chops, but they probably will look close to that if evok posted them, and they are obviously all slightly different Toranas, and they all look close to the camoed shot. Regardless, the things Josh and CD/BP said give me great hope. Josh, you aren't just leading us on right? Will Buick and Pontiac really get this great product you speak of? Buick deserves a convertible like I deserve a convertible, really badly, and Buick's should be a 4-seater to maximize its potential. In an ideal world it would be the Velite vert, and start at around 27k with the 3.2L, with a beautiful interior and melodious sounds and ride. Enough of that. CD/BP said: "the first car in GM's RWD revival" That is some quote. Sounds like the beginning of a great story, great chapter in the history of GM. Hopefully you mean American RWD revival too.

Has there been any news of what the powertrain might be?

[post="6825"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

In Australia is will be 3.6 HFV6 and 6.0 LS2. Using GM's new 6 speed auto on the V8 at least.

It kinda looks really tall... but at least it isn't gigantic like the 300. A midsized RWD car makes the most sense, IMO.

[post="6785"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

If there are gonna be mid-sized rear-drivers, they should be on Epsilon II. Leave Zeta (or whatever the hell it will be) for big cars. Edited by LosAngeles

Has there been any news of what the powertrain might be?

[post="6825"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Bet money on 6 speed autos, rwd with awd optional on some models. 6.0 ls2 V8 and HF v6 that is in the current Holdens. 6 speed manuals will also be around on some models.

wildman: The 3.6L Alloytec V6 (same as our 3.6L HFV6) will probably be standard, with V8 options coming from the LSx family.

If there are gonna be mid-sized rear-drivers, they should be on Epsilon II.  Leave Zeta (or whatever the hell it will be) for big cars.

[post="6851"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Epsilon II is FWD/front bias AWD. It is NOT RWD.

Also the 300 is about the same size as the Lacrosse but it is shorter in length. It appears to be a much bigger car but it really isn't all that big.

Epsilon II is FWD/front bias AWD.  It is NOT RWD.

[post="6860"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Are you one of the famed insiders they look to here?

I was hoping Epsilon II would be flexible.

Those rims look awesome! Although looks to be just camo.

I'd LOVE to have that exact wheel with the same color on my G6! Silver or white with rims :wub:

[post="6876"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You could probably get them for your Cavalier, if you changed the bolt pattern. Check TireRack of American Tire.

You could probably get them for your Cavalier, if you changed the bolt pattern. Check TireRack of American Tire.

[post="7002"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Nah, don't really feel like doing anything to my car given that it'll be gone next year. It's only a leased car which I won't keep.

Thanks for the idea though!

This post just confuses things and appears to reopen questions about what is coming that have already been answered. The Holden vehicle is not very helpful in understanding the North American environment as we already know what is under the skin engineering-wise from previous announcements, and the exterior is not going to be duplicated here anyway. GM have already announced their rear-wheel drive plans in the post of August 15th by Mark Phelan of the Detroit Free Press - "GM plans rear-drive family". Why are we going around and around on decisions which have already been made? They have said there will be at least 7 offerings - Chevrolet Caprice/Impala, Chevrolet Camaro, Chevrolet Monte Carlo, Pontiac Grand Prix/G8, Pontiac GTO, Buick Roadmaster, and Buick Velitte. The key questions left are: 1. The dates and sequence of the roll-outs (which will probably now require up to 2011 to complete versus 2010 before the Zeta development delay), and 2. How has Lutz managed to overcome the problem he had when he first announced the Zeta delay - namely that the original Zeta designs were not price-, quality-, and performance-competitive with the Chrysler 300/Dodge Charger competition? How does Lutz plan to beat out a Charger SRT-8 with a quarter of 13.2, and a top speed of 173 mph, all at under $ 40 large?

My compliments all around...

to C&G for the photo

to Evok for the uncovered images

to CD/BP for their input

to Rear-Wheel Drive for some excellent questions

and to everyone else for your enthusiasm!

Now, please, GM, give Buick something out of this!

I just want to rip off all that canvas and tape and have sex wiht this thing. I hope it spawns at least two RWD models for each American GM division. Buick, Pontiac, Chevy & Saturn!

Great pic. :) Hmmmm... but (as others have mentioned) it does appear smaller than what I thought a Zeta vehicle would be. Will Zeta still be in SWB & LWB versions? Because Torana was suppose to show off the potential of a "Beta" platform... Why my concern? A Zeta vehicle should not be close enough in size to cause confusion between it and the up-coming (smaller... almost compact) 2008 Cadillac CTS. That just seems to be "Beta" territory. Maybe a SWB Zeta can be small enough to cover the compact/midsize segment?

Are you one of the famed insiders they look to here?

I was hoping Epsilon II would be flexible.

[post="6897"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

No I am not an insider. But Epsilon II will be Ep I based and that means transverse engine mounting which means FWD biased if AWD shows up and there is NO chance that a transverse RWD car will come out of GM.

Guest YellowJacket894
Here comes the product, oh yes! The camo makes it look like a next-gen Prius, but, meh, who cares!? What lies underneith is what will become a great car. Go GM!

Sixty8panther: Why does Saturn need two RWD vehicles?  Isn't that once again invading Buick and Pontiac territory?

[post="7182"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Perhaps you're right. I just thought as long as we have to put uip wiht the bastard chiold they might as well offer RWD to the masses.

• 1 month later...
Because the journo's in Australia are looking high and low for photos of the new VE Commodore, my guess is that GM has decided that the car may be a bit more inconspicuous being tested in the US. I can't wait to get this into our showroom next September / October, and I am just drooling over the thought of the HSV modified versions shortly thereafter.

In Australia is will be 3.6 HFV6 and 6.0 LS2. Using GM's new 6 speed auto on the V8 at least.

[post="6850"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Wishfull thinking by power-mad Australian journalists. The base V8 engine will not go from a 328 hp LS1 to a 400 hp LS2, especially when the top V6 has only 255 hp. There are other options. The 3.6 L V6 is also available in a unique 235 hp base variant with intake VVT like the turbocharged 2.8, instead of the LY7s dual-VVT.

• 1 month later...

This post just confuses things and appears to reopen questions about what is coming that have already been answered.  The Holden vehicle is not very helpful in understanding the North American environment as we already know what is under the skin engineering-wise from previous announcements, and the exterior is not going to be duplicated here anyway.

GM have already announced their rear-wheel drive plans in the post of August 15th by Mark Phelan of the Detroit Free Press - "GM plans rear-drive family". Why are we going around and around on decisions which have already been made? They have said there will be at least 7 offerings - Chevrolet Caprice/Impala, Chevrolet Camaro, Chevrolet Monte Carlo, Pontiac Grand Prix/G8, Pontiac GTO, Buick Roadmaster, and Buick Velitte.

The key questions left are:
1. The dates and sequence of the roll-outs (which will probably now require up to 2011 to complete versus 2010 before the Zeta development delay), and
2. How has Lutz managed to overcome the problem he had when he first announced the Zeta delay - namely that the original Zeta designs were not price-,  quality-, and performance-competitive with the Chrysler 300/Dodge Charger competition?  How does Lutz plan to beat out a Charger SRT-8 with a quarter of 13.2, and a top speed of 173 mph, all at under $ 40 large?

[post="7049"][/post]

Hey??? How do you think the Holden with Zeta wont beat a 300 dodge?
Right now the 300 dodge is here in OZ. And it doesn't give a Stock SV6 a scare really. The VZ SS the old Holden will splash it's parts all over the place.
Now think what a HSV Clubsport would do to the SRT-8. HSV With it's 6lt .0-100 kp/h in under 5seconds. low 13 quarters. Just wait till the VE it will be better by far.
If you guys can get the Monaro(GTO) For just over $30,000 or under USD When we pay $60,000 AUD for it you will be getting cheap cars from us for sure.
To be honest i don't know why you guys don't have this imported by GM..
VZ Commodore SS. 5.7lt 250kw 4 speed auto or 6 speed man. Firm suspension for some good fun good handling and comfort RWD and got some little goodies in it also.
If you can get the Monaro(GTO) in the U.S for half what we pay then this would be around $25,000 or under USD easy.
Posted Image Posted Image