Sign in to follow this  
NewsFeeder

Rearview Couture: Auto air freshners are $50M business

4 posts in this topic

NewsFeeder    9

Filed under: Etc.

Little Trees!

The cash register says $50 million dollars went into the car freshener business last year - an $8 million drop from the year before - and that means a lot of pine, rain, and cinnamon apple fragrance into car interiors. At an average price of $2.65, that put nearly 19 million air fresheners in circulation in 2009, and the between scent creators and scent removers, the olfactory onslaught won't be letting up this year.

Instead of more purchases being made, however, industry reps say the profusion of flavors are where the money trail leads. Little Trees' (pictured) site alone offers 97 different odiferous options. Black Ice, which replicates the scent of men's cologne - whatever that means - is the runaway hit in Michigan. We thought it odd enough that people wanted their cars to smell like pine trees, but men's cologne? Really?

[source: The Detroit News]

Rearview Couture: Auto air freshners are $50M business originally appeared on Autoblog on Sat, 15 May 2010 09:28:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=hAE6GP7LCJY:KBZ2gTT3KCU:wF9xT autoblog?i=hAE6GP7LCJY:KBZ2gTT3KCU:V_sGL
hAE6GP7LCJY

View the full article

Intrepidation    848

I keep my car clean, so I have no need for air fresheners.

Although my girlfriend's car has one of those Refresh dual scent fresheners which smell nice.

I can't stand those "Little Trees". They're super strong when you open them and then fade out after like, a day. Mom likes them, so she sometimes uses them in the Mercury. Makes it smell like an old person's car. I guess it compliments the wire hubcaps and landau roof. :P

SAmadei    224

I can't stand those "Little Trees". They're super strong when you open them and then fade out after like, a day. Mom likes them, so she sometimes uses them in the Mercury. Makes it smell like an old person's car. I guess it compliments the wire hubcaps and landau roof. :P

The Little Trees are not supposed to be completely removed from the wrapper. The design of the tree allows you to open the package slightly and leave the bulk of the tree wrapped.

That said, I hate car air fresheners... and if I use one, something in the car is appropriately more foul.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this