Sign in to follow this  
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Buick Excelle GT – Naked and Exposed

Buick Excelle GT – Naked and Exposed

The Buick Excelle GT is based upon the Opel Astra sedan and will be launching in both the USA and China under the Buick guise, although it is likely to make it into certain sedan friendly Euro markets towards the end of the year. This is the first time that the Buick Excelle has been posted to CCT in such detail, and we can safely say that this car is going to prove to be a popular model when it launches in China later this year complete with the 1.6T engine and the 1.8 naturally aspirated model, and goes someway to show that Shanghai-GM really understands what its consumers need, rather than what the management think consumers needs:

link:

http://www.chinacartimes.com/2010/05/18/buick-excelle-gt-naked-and-exposed/

Fully exposed Buick Excelle GT spotted in China, coming here soon

by Sam Abuelsamid (RSS feed) on May 19th 2010 at 9:01AM

One of the cars that we were expecting to see at the Beijing Motor Show last month was the Buick Excelle GT sedan. Unfortunately, General Motors opted not to show the car there, perhaps fearing it would get lost in the shuffle. The Excelle GT is still going on sale in China this summer and it has now been spotted out in the wild completely free of all the camouflage that has been covering it until now.

This car will be coming to Buick stores here in the United States as well, although the exact timing is still unknown. The one thing we do know is that it will not retain the Excelle nameplate. Let's just hope that Buick doesn't bring back its Skylark or Century monikers. Either way, we're expecting the U.S. version to retain the 1.6-liter turbo inline-four that will power the Chinese model.

link:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/05/19/fully-exposed-buick-excelle-gt-spotted-in-china-coming-here-soo/

I do too, but I'd like it in another color...

Although, the silver does nicely hide those eyebrows over the tail lights

yup.... I thought the exact same thing.

So I guess this will be a Jetta and Tracer (or whatever the compact Mercury will be called) competitor? Looks like a decent addition to the Avis/National/Alamo/etc selection...

A bit of brand DNA in the front and rear ends, and the ventiports... but the midsection is on the bland side. Decent, I guess. Needs more bodystyles to lift it beyond "just another compact gray sedan" status. A snazzy little coupe, soft top convertible, and wagon would round out the lineup nicely. I agree with DF, it needs a sweepspear. The hockeystick just... doesn't evoke Buick to me.

Edited by ocnblu

Basically, this car will probably serve as the "real" smaller sibling to the 2010 LaCrosse. The Regal is intended to be the rebel of the lineup; the sporty Euro sourced game changer that is intended to bring in an entirely different demographic to the brand. I expect the new gen Excelle to be targeted at those buyers who are attracted to the 2010 LaCrosse, but can't afford it or simply wish to own something smaller and more fuel efficient. I think that's why the new gen Excelle sedan received an entirely different front end treatment from the new gen Astra while the Regal received a simple grille transplant. The Excelle's restyled front fascia mimics the flavor of the one on the 2010 LaCrosse while the Regal's front fascia has its own more integrated appearance. Hopefully, the U.S. spec version will be modified somewhat from this Chinese market version. Reflector beam headlights and mainstream spec taillight elements won't cut it in the near luxury class. Of course, a name change will also be a necessity. I hope GM doesn't undermine or damage the perception of this vehicle with skimping and cost cutting in an effort to advertise a low starting price point. Buick deserves better than that.

Edited by cire

i wonder if this and the new elantra freaked out honda to make them want to take a bit of extra time with delaying the new civic.

don't get me wrong, the civic will still suck.....

A bit of brand DNA in the front and rear ends, and the ventiports... but the midsection is on the bland side. Decent, I guess. Needs more bodystyles to lift it beyond "just another compact gray sedan" status. A snazzy little coupe, soft top convertible, and wagon would round out the lineup nicely. I agree with DF, it needs a sweepspear. The hockeystick just... doesn't evoke Buick to me.

I agree with the multiple bodystyle idea. Automakers used to do this quite a bit and I miss those days. It gave buyers much more variety in selecting what truly matched their needs, lifestyle, or style aesthetic.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I would love to see GM marry the new gen Excelle sedan's 2010 LaCrosse inspired front end with the 5-door Astra bodystyle. I would definitely be in line to buy one (although it would probably be a very short line).

i wonder if this and the new elantra freaked out honda to make them want to take a bit of extra time with delaying the new civic.

don't get me wrong, the civic will still suck.....

Have you ever driven a Civic? It may not be pretty but it's still cut above everything else currently on sale in this class besides the Mazda3.

Really the next Civic will almost certainly be a good car, it just may not ber a good looking car (with Honda's current track record).

I haven't been overly impressed with the Civics I've driven. They felt relatively solid, but road noise still plagues them, and I felt some obvious mold flash on some interior parts, including the door pull... something you touch every time you shut the door.

Civics are better than the Cobalts, Calibers, Focuses and Corollas that are on sale now. I spent more than enough time in a Cobalt to know how cheap and chintzy it is in there. I mean I liked the Cobalt, overall, but it wasn't anywhere near as nice a place to be inside as the Civic I spent time in. They also have better steering feedback (Cobalt had none and felt weird, Caliber didn't have much, Focus was ok, Corolla was lifeless) and something called an dependent rear suspension, as opposed to a steel girder out back. I don't like them enough to want to ever own one, but I can certainly respect their engineering.

And the crash results speak for themselves.

Civic

Focus

Cobalt

Caliber

Personally, I'd rather have a dash from Earth, but to each his own, I guess.

Have you ever driven a Civic? It may not be pretty but it's still cut above everything else currently on sale in this class besides the Mazda3.

Really the next Civic will almost certainly be a good car, it just may not ber a good looking car (with Honda's current track record).

haven't driven it but ridden in one. the interior is ghastly, even if the plastics are ok. i can't comment on the ride and handling. it didnt feel overly spacious like an elantra, nor was it super quiet. mechanically its a honda so it probably runs well, although if its like the fit or accord i was not terribly fond of either of those. the new mazda 3 doesn't do it for me either. i'd get a kia forte or an elantra before i would get a civic.

Edited by regfootball

Forgot about the Forte, although I hear it's meh to drive. As for the Elantra, I really like the new one, but it's not on sale yet. The current one is ghastly.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook