NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

GM to make high-performance Buick Regal GS

GM to make high-performance Buick Regal GS

Robert Snell and Scott Burgess / The Detroit News

General Motors Co. will build a high-performance version of the Buick Regal sports sedan, which could further the brand's success in luring younger, more affluent buyers.

The Regal GS, which debuted as a concept model at this year's North American International Auto Show, could hit showrooms next year.

Tom Stephens, vice chairman of global product development, confirmed exclusively to The Detroit News that the Regal GS has been approved for production but did not offer additional details about timing or volume.

The Regal GS likely will closely resemble the concept version, which featured an estimated 255-horsepower, turbocharged, 2-liter engine; six-speed manual gearbox; and all-wheel drive.

One possible change: The production version may not include Recaro high-performance front seats, which on the concept model sported four-way lumbar support and cushion extensions.

"That is the kind of excitement Buick needs to get a new cadre of buyers into their store," said autos analyst Joe Phillippi of AutoTrends Consulting in Short Hills, N.J. "Maybe Buick won't be a four-letter word anymore."

The GS is a high-performance version of the Regal, which is just reaching showrooms. The Regal is being imported initially from Germany -- about 25 have been sold so far -- but will be available in greater numbers within the next month.

The average age of a Buick buyer has fallen from 72 several years ago to 65. That figure was trending lower ahead of the launch of the Buick Regal midsize sport sedan.

The Regal GS is Buick's bid to offer a sportier vehicle attractive to younger customers, pushing the average age even lower and reversing perceptions that Buick is the brand of choice for senior citizens.

"Buick kind of lost its way. We built big, floaty, quiet cars -- what our customers wanted at the time. The GS would be the next step, more performance-based," Buick spokeswoman Dayna Hart said.

Thanks to the new Buick LaCrosse sedan, Buick sales are up 50.4 percent this year, the second largest increase industrywide behind the low-volume luxury automaker Maserati, according to Autodata Corp.

The Regal GS joins an expanding Buick lineup of four vehicles: the LaCrosse, Regal, Lucerne and Enclave crossover.

Buick will unveil a compact sedan in the next 17 months and, later, a smaller version of the Enclave.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20100520/AUTO01/5200352/1148/GM-to-make-high-performance-Buick-Regal-GS#ixzz0oTR4z7tj

Report: GM gives Buick Regal GS the green light

by Steven J. Ewing (RSS feed) on May 20th 2010 at 8:57AM

When General Motors debuted the Buick Regal GS at this year's Detroit Auto Show, they made it very clear that the car on stage, which looked production-ready, was purely a concept – nothing more. Even though the white show car with its beefed up appearance and 20-inch wheels looked like it was ready to roll (it was, after all, a rebadged Opel Insignia OPC), no final decision had been made about whether or not the automaker would actually produce the turbocharged version of the new pride-and-joy Regal sedan. Lest anyone forget, this is an important car for Buick, as it's charged with attracting a significantly younger crowd of buyers to the brand. The GS would certainly help do the trick, and now, it sounds like all systems are go for the hotter than hot Regal.

The Detroit News reports that Tom Stephens, Vice Chairman of Global Product Development for GM, has confirmed that the Regal GS has been approved for production and that it could hit showrooms at some point next year. If the specs outlined for the Detroit show car are anything to go on, this means that a turbocharged 2.0-liter four will be under the hood, likely producing 255 horsepower and 295 pound-feet of torque. What's most interesting, though, is that the show car routed this power to all four wheels via a six-speed manual transmission. On top of that goodness, the Regal GS uses a new system called Interactive Drive Control, which allows drivers to choose from normal and sport driving modes, as well as a top-thrill GS mode where the torque split has a stronger rear bias.

If the production car is largely unchanged from the concept we saw back in January, we'll jump for joy. And while we're definitely getting our hopes up, we'll wait until GM issues the official word before we start saving our pennies.

link:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/05/20/report-gm-gives-buick-regal-gs-the-green-light/

:booyah:

:yes:

8)

:hot:

:metal:

:cheers:

:bowdown:

Didn't feel like this for a while, did you?

You got your car, what is it gonna look like?

The idea of a Buick w/ a turbo, 6spd manual and AWD is mind-blowing. Looking forward to seeing it in person. I wonder what the price point for the GS will be? $35k?

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

The idea of a Buick w/ a turbo, 6spd manual and AWD is mind-blowing. Looking forward to seeing it in person. I wonder what the price point for the GS will be? $35k?

I heard one of the Buick guys say between 33-35K.

Do you all think they will offer a six speed automatic also? Because I just might know someone if the autobox is offered whom might be interested...

Do you all think they will offer a six speed automatic also? Because I just might know someone if the autobox is offered whom might be interested...

I would think so...I can't imagine a manual-only Buick.

I can totally see wife replacing the TSX with this one - metallic gray or black granite metallic. GM now put a Stage 2 kit for it.

Lets get a few thing out in the open before someone get upset.

Based on GM statments already given don't expect AWD... at least for now. They are trying to keep the cost down. With this said I expect this car to be under $35K with no problem.

The 4 Cylinder may gain the usual GM HP bump before release.

Also since 75%+ of these will be sold with a Auto Six Speed that is a sure thing.

I would expect a Brembo and LSD option on the manual tranny ala Cobalt SS.

GM has not stated anything but they have made the V6 AWD Opel available at the press drives. I would not be suprised if they may offer a Buick version of the OPC here in limited numbers later on.

I think they will see how this will do and what price people are willing to pay for a Buick like this before they bite off more than they can chew.

We here know that this is not the Buick that Buick has been for the last 30 years. The sad part is we are in the vast minority and GM will have to do a very good marketing job to get butts behind the wheel to show people this is not just another Century T type Fiasco.

I see GM starting these lines and gowing them carefully. We will see upgrades and options added with time. You need to get these people hooked on value and price then you offer the more expensve items on later cars once they know they are getting a world quality car.

Few non GM fans right now would pay $35K-40K for a V6 AWD Buick.

Earn their respect and then you will earn their money.

As for the Turbo Upgrade Kit I would not be suprised if we see it. Not only is it easy to install but a very good profit item for the Dealer. $500 to add 50HP or more is a great value.

Yes the FWD will handle it well.

This car will do much to change minds about Buick as soon as GM can get people to drive it.

Edited by hyperv6

Buick Regal GS Is Go, Possible Coupe In The Works?

By Nelson Ireson

Editor

May 20th, 2010

2010 Buick Regal GS ConceptGallery

The 2011 Buick Regal is really little more than a thinly disguised Opel Insignia. That's not a bad thing--the Insignia is a knockout in the midsize segment, and the Buick treatment doesn't mess with that. But soon we're going to get a hotter GS version sporting a turbo--and a coupe may be on the table as well.

The Regal GS is go for production, according to the latest word on the street. That means the all-wheel drive, 2.0-liter, turbocharged 255-horsepower four-cylinder version previewed at this year's Detroit Auto Show should head more or less unchanged to dealerships sometime next year. Oh, and it's available with a six-speed manual. An enthusiast Buick? It's not unprecedented. It's just a distant memory.

The one change that is mentioned from the concept is that the production car may do away with the Recaro sport seats in favor of more luxurious, adjustable options. We'd like to see the Recaros remain an option at least, as they'd shave weight and are generally still very comfortable despite fewer adjustments.

Also on the Buick docket today, in rumors at least, is the possibility of a Regal coupe. Opel is reportedly working on a successor to its Calibra, meaning a two-door version of the Insignia. While we aren't getting the wagon version of the Insignia here in the U.S., a coupe could make sense, especially as Buick works to reshape its image in a younger, sexier light.

The Insignia/Calibra coupe isn't expected in Europe until 2013, however, meaning it would wait at least that long before coming to America. One thing that could bode well for its arrival on our shores is that Opel would need to sell 30,000 units each year to make a business case for the car. That would be tough to achieve in Europe alone, but exporting them to the U.S. could bolster their numbers significantly. The idea of sharing the car out to North American GM brands was even floated by the "mole" sourced for the report.

We'll obviously have to wait and see on the coupe, but the Regal GS appears to be good to go. Promised changes are definitely afoot at Buick, and we're excited to see it--and even more excited to see what comes next.

link:

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1045325_buick-regal-gs-is-go-possible-coupe-in-the-works

"That is the kind of excitement Buick needs to get a new cadre of buyers into their store," said autos analyst Joe Phillippi of AutoTrends Consulting in Short Hills, N.J.

Well with Pontiac gone, BPG dealers need more EXCITEMENT!!!!

The article has a very loose definition of "high-performance." 255 hp is pretty much any V6 midsize family sedan. The Sonata turbo has 275 hp and is going to cost about $5,000 less than the Regal. And even at 275 hp, I wouldn't call the Sonata "high performance." The Regal is nearing low level G37, TL, and MKZ prices, so it could have a tough time.

We here know that this is not the Buick that Buick has been for the last 30 years.

Very true, and the question is, when Buick goes after the Euro-import crowd like Oldsmobile and Saturn tried to do, will Buick suffer the same fate?

Very true, and the question is, when Buick goes after the Euro-import crowd like Oldsmobile and Saturn tried to do, will Buick suffer the same fate?

Well, this car actually is an European import in Buick trim.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

I hope they can get closer to 300HP out of that DI TURBO I4 for production. :confused0071: That would be GREAT!!!

Not just yes, but hell yes...

GM is getting things RIGHT!

I was under the impression that AWD was going to be optional.

I saw where someone from GM stated that they would like to do the AWD but the cost and weight was just not in line with what they have in mind in the US market.

Either way the AWD was pretty much made out as not being in the GS at intro

I believe they want to retain cost to start to get people in the car and then later they may add things like a AWD or even the V6 as a higher cost option once the car is proven and people will pay for it. Keep in mind the GXP G8 was not out the first year nor many other performace models.

GM seems to be straggering all their models on a platform anymore not just a few. I see the Regal as no different. It is a good way of keeping a line fresh the entire time it is out vs the first 2 years.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook