Sign in to follow this  
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Report: Dodge getting new badge to support sporty image

Report: Dodge getting new badge to support sporty image

by Jonathon Ramsey (RSS feed) on May 24th 2010 at 11:20AM

We first wrote about Dodge's new logo way back in January, when the Dexter-voiced commercials were coming out and a Dodge logo was showing up at auto shows with two stripes at the end. According to Automotive News, that graphic has been officially discussed and endorsed by Dodge CEO Ralph Gilles for a new logo, and we even have the reason: "it signifies our sporty character." How is that, you ask? Because "Most SRTs are Dodges," and those two red "slashes" are the sign of the SRT.

The slashes won't appear on Dodge vehicles, however – only on signage and print materials. As it is rolled out in dealer showrooms, it will first be used to promote the 2011 Dodge Charger arriving later this year.

link:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/05/24/report-dodge-getting-new-badge-to-support-sporty-image/

Unlike "R/T", "SRT" has no slashes. :unsure:

Me no likey... I don't even like it here, even as 'stripes':

l_263971db822e428aa51fbd847ec073db.jpg

Edited by balthazar

://

Phew, balthy, that is a hot looking Challenger.

• Upvote 1

://

Phew, balthy, that is a hot looking Challenger.

Ya...love the aftermarket redline tires and black wheels. Looks totally badass.

The // reminds me of BMW's M logos... like ///M3.

It's better than the Ram head logo, which seems appropriate on the trucks but out of place on cars, IMHO..

I wouldn't mind the red 3-piece triangle badge from the '60s-70s to come back (the one that kind of looks like a Klingon emblem).

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

I don't find the Ram's Head to be any more 'inappropriate' on a Dodge car than a prancing pony, a drunken cow or a leaping pussy on other cars. :P

Edited by balthazar

It is that time of the month to nominate a phrase of the week, and here's my nomination: "leaping pussy".:smilewide:

The // reminds me of BMW's M logos... like ///M3.

It's better than the Ram head logo, which seems appropriate on the trucks but out of place on cars, IMHO..

I wouldn't mind the red 3-piece triangle badge from the '60s-70s to come back (the one that kind of looks like a Klingon emblem).

Its a Fratzog!

And yeah, I'd like to see it back... it was cool.

The Fratzog looked decent spinning on hubcaps, but slapped on a decklid... not so much. It just looks too made-up; like the mitsu or mercedes emblems.

The Fratzog looked decent spinning on hubcaps, but slapped on a decklid... not so much. It just looks too made-up; like the mitsu or mercedes emblems.

Well, the Chevy bowtie is made up, too... I can't say I don't like the Mitsu or Mercedes emblems... only the cars attached to them.

Since they're trying to go for sporty image, they should use the logo that adorned the greatest Chrysler product of them all.

ViperLogo.gif

I rest my case.

I don't find the Ram's Head to be any more 'inappropriate' on a Dodge car than a prancing pony, a drunken cow or a leaping pussy on other cars. :P

It's a truck thing..Ram trucks, vans, Ramcharger. The cars aren't named after bulls.

Its a Fratzog!

And yeah, I'd like to see it back... it was cool.

I couldn't remember if the Dodge emblem or the Plymouth emblem was the Fratzog. I like the Fratzog--I saw a new Challenger a while back that someone had replaced the Ram badge on the nose w/ a Fratzog.

I couldn't remember if the Dodge emblem or the Plymouth emblem was the Fratzog. I like the Fratzog--I saw a new Challenger a while back that someone had replaced the Ram badge on the nose w/ a Fratzog.

The Plymouth emblems were more like stylized versions of the Mayflower-like boats.

Dodge could always bring back the Dodge Brothers' Star of David emblem... not real sporty, but popular in NYC. ;-)

Concerning the new emblem/logo... Its barely more than a fancy font... Once again, I ask... Since when does a fancy font make an emblem?

Edited by SAmadei

Last Plymouth 'Mayflower' was in '57 on the grille, a strange, head-on view.

Correct me IIR'ing inCorrectly...

Looking into my files.... in print ads (Pentastar aside) Ply primarily used just the word in their distinctive font, until the funny lil heart with the devil's tail from '67-70... then back to the word & the Corp Pentastar. In the '30s thru the '50s; no emblem/logo.

Somewhere, some wag has already crafted some brilliant, revealing piece as to how that was the downfall of the brand. :rolleyes:

Looking into my files.... in print ads (Pentastar aside) Ply primarily used just the word in their distinctive font, until the funny lil heart with the devil's tail from '67-70... then back to the word & the Corp Pentastar. In the '30s thru the '50s; no emblem/logo.

Somewhere, some wag has already crafted some brilliant, revealing piece as to how that was the downfall of the brand. :rolleyes:

Plymouth had a rocket-like emblem in the '60s-70s. That's one I know of.

rocket.jpg

On the cars; yes.

Here with Dodge, ChryCo seems to be once again separating print ad & vehicle ID- strange practice at first impression.

'57's last Mayflower emblem:

mvc-782s.jpg

I think they should just go back to simple D O D G E lettering on the vehicles.

Towards the end of the brand, they used a Mayflower/sailing ship... but it also may have been on a few models.

Plymouthemblem.png

Plymouth had a rocket-like emblem in the '60s-70s. That's one I know of.

rocket.jpg

Wasn't that for a particular line... Valiant or something...

Wasn't that for a particular line... Valiant or something...('60s-70s rocket emblem)

I think they used it at least on the big cars and Valiants and Dusters and maybe the Belvedere and Satellite. Though I don't recall (at least in magazine photos) ever seeing it on the Barracudas, GTXes, Road Runners, etc of the muscle car era.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

I'm not understanding why Dodge would adopt the 2 red slashes as its logo and then not place it on its vehicles. It really doesn't make sense. The 2 red slashes start behind the "E" in "DODGE". It seems like the word "DODGE" and the 2 red slashes could be incorporated into some sort of badge for the brand. Keep "DODGE" in chrome with the 2 red slashes, give it a shiny black background and surround the entire thing with a chrome trimmed trapezoid or rectangle (a trapezoid would be my preference; it has a little more character than a simple rectangle). Ford, Fiat, and Kia all have stylized versions of their respective brand names as their badges (trimmed in chrome ovals or circles); there is no reason why Dodge couldn't do the same thing as long as the 2 red slashes (the brand's new logo) is incorporated into that badge.

It is that time of the month to nominate a phrase of the week, and here's my nomination: "leaping pussy".:smilewide:

890e1f7b079e.jpg

leaping-mountain-lion_size_600x450.jpg

2872750730_a074331988.jpg?v=0

i really like leaping pussies.