Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

New Info 2007 LaCrosse

buickguy

From the Wall Street Journal

ORLANDO, Fla. -- General Motors Corp. (GM) announced some additions and subtractions to its Pontiac and Buick lines to dealers here a few days after its sales chief vowed a "renaissance" for the two model lines.

Buick will get an "uplevel version" of the Buick LaCrosse sedan that will include new exterior trim and a new engine, Buick spokesman David Darovitz confirmed Tuesday. He said no price has been decided.

Wait, I thought the LaCrosse Super was supposed to be a 2008 model?

Maybe for 2007, the 3.6 is standard and on the CXS and/or uplevel trim, a new engine?

I hope the interior gets the new radio.

I mentioned this "Super" to my father and we entered a 15 minute discussion about Buicks from his day. Compare that to ones I have with him about Nissans or Toyotas that are about 15 seconds and are pretty much "They had a GT or something and that Z. Those were great. But all that crap they have now is junk."

Just a nice little thought I suppose. :)

I suppose this is a 5.3l V8 shoehorn a la GXP and SS? Man, would I love for it to be a blown 3.6l, but I'm deaming too much.

Who else hopes for ventiports?

I mentioned this "Super" to my father and we entered a 15 minute discussion about Buicks from his day. Compare that to ones I have with him about Nissans or Toyotas that are about 15 seconds and are pretty much "They had a GT or something and that Z. Those were great. But all that crap they have now is junk."

Just a nice little thought I suppose. :)

I suppose this is a 5.3l V8 shoehorn a la GXP and SS? Man, would I love for it to be a blown 3.6l, but I'm deaming too much.

Who else hopes for ventiports?

I'd like ventiports and a grille change please.

I agree 100%.  That's all the exterior needs, IMO.  I really like the rear.

The rear grew on me A LOT in the past year. Illuminated, it looks pretty classy in my opinion--when illuminated, it looks NOTHING like a Taurus.

Hopefully this will result in lower pricing throughout the LaCrosse range. Currently there's just $2000 between a Lucerne CXL V8 and a LaCrosse CXS V6.

I agree with the pricing. I feel the LaCrosse CX should start at around 22,500, CXL around 23,995, and CXS at 25,500.

Portholes are a must! I'm sure there'll be portholes, hopefully it will get an engine upgrade!

Well, with the 3800 on its way out, maybe 2007 will be the year o change? And with the engine upgrades, I'll assume the 6-speed auto will be thrown in. Put in some of that Lucerne plood on the dash... new radio/hvac, car's good to go :)

Say more about the LaCrosse Super.  I am clearly in the dark on this one.  It sounds interesting.

Refreshed front end with Velite style grill and probably new head lights. 5.3 DOD V8 from Grand Prix GXP and Impala SS. Quiet tuned interior and hopefully Magnaride. Maybe a small change in interior, like the 06 GP got.

I think 2007 will be a good year for this car. That is if they usher in the 3900, 6 speed auto, new grille and headlights and that new V8 Super version. The things keeping me from purchasing the current LaCrosse is the lackluster 3800/4 speed auto 2.86:1 axle combo which in my weekend rental of one just left a bad taste in my mouth, the way too light seat fabrics and the bland wimpy looking front end treatment. Also the CX and CXL need steering like my 02 Intrigue which is far superior and precise to the darty vague setup in the LaCrosse. All they need to do is fix a few simple things with this car to make it a success.

Here's what I think Buick should do with the current LaCrosse: drop the CX trim, turn CXL into Reserve (make cloth and/or velour upholstery standard, drop the price a little, leather a low-cost option, front split-bench seat standard-buckets no charge), make CXS the Super with the 4.6-liter DOHC Northstar 280hp V-8, 3 portholes per side on both models, revise the rear taillamps to look like those of the 1998 Signia concept, maybe add a lightly indented sweepspear bodyside curvature, reduce the overall length a little bit without any passenger or cargo room sacrifice, and you have a nice updated LaCrosse. And keep adding the standard equipment and options!

I think 2007 will be a good year for this car. That is if they usher in the 3900, 6 speed auto, new grille and headlights and that new V8 Super version. The things keeping me from purchasing the current LaCrosse is the lackluster 3800/4 speed auto 2.86:1 axle combo which in my weekend rental of one just left a bad taste in my mouth, the way too light seat fabrics and the bland wimpy looking front end treatment. Also the CX and CXL need steering like my 02 Intrigue which is far superior and precise to the darty vague setup in the LaCrosse. All they need to do is fix a few simple things with this car to make it a success.

There is no plan at GM to EVER put a 6 speed auto in a W body. It would be nice if they put some work into the 3.6l V6 to get it to a competetive 300 HP (see Lexus 3.5l)

All this car really needed was a better front end.  So if Buick is putting money into cleaning things up, I hope that is at the top of the list.

Well, the LaCrosse will get a revised grille as we've seen from the LaCrosse Super spyshot pinned at the top of this forum. I definitely want to see a few other changes... just some simple changes will go far. Out with the radio/hvac, in with the new tranny. Out with the plood, and in with the Lucerne's plood. Lower each trim's price by between 1000-1500. Then, I think we're talking.

There is no plan at GM to EVER put a 6 speed auto in a W body.  It would be nice if they put some work into the 3.6l V6 to get it to a competetive 300 HP (see Lexus 3.5l)

Thats strange because GM was reportedly going to offer the 6 speed auto on the Impala next year which is a W-body. Although knowing GM you are probably right in that the 6 speed won't ever see the engine bay of a W-body. Time will tell.

Thats strange because GM was reportedly going to offer the 6 speed auto on the Impala next year which is a W-body. Although knowing GM you are probably right in that the 6 speed won't ever see the engine bay of a W-body. Time will tell.

If GM has to pick vehicles to dedicate the six speed to, I would prefer it show up in the Lucerne, DTS, and the Epsilon cars. The rumor is that the next Pontiac GP will be on a different chassis, possibly RWD. Don't waste money on the current GP. Also, it is also rumored that the next Lacrosse will be on the Epsilon II platform - which will get a six speed for sure.

Just updating the grill and interior combined with GM's proven 5.3L V8 would do enough to boost sales.

Put the six speed autos in the cars that have the most future:

All GMT900s

All Lambdas

All Epsilons

Lucerne

DTS

This is very strange! Where did you see a that GM "reported" that the '07 Impala will have a 6 speed auto? They have not even done the engineering to modify the W body to accept the FWD version of the 6 speed, much less the engineering for the engine/drive train management software. If it was coming out on the '07 they would have to be in final testing.

Please state the report this was in!

sounds good to me. It would be nice if they did a minor overhaul to all Lacrosse but maybe its not worth it when developing new platforms are of greater importance. Still a new facia, how much could that cost ? It would be inline with Buicks new look rather than having two very different appearences.

the lacrosse ultra will use the same 5.3L V8 as the impala SS.. the W body cars will only last a few more years.. so they arent going to drop alot of money in them.. most of the current W cars will shift to the new RWD platform or the Epsilion II platform.. we will soon start to see the 6 spd auto in the epsilion cars.

A little sprucing of the exterior won't do anything to make the LaCrosse appealing to non GMers.

Dump the whole design and start with a clean palette. It's the only way in my opinion.

Well, I think it'll help make it appealing to a few more. I know though with the addition of the 5.3, reviews will STILL boast the almighty HEMI in Chrysler's cars and call it inferior. Especially if it stays with the 4-speed auto.

I'm 34 years old and I recently test drove the 2006 Buick LaCrosse CXS and it looked and felt too sedate for my tastes in a way even the previous generation Regal didn't

I'm glad they are updating it, it could use several changes. The 3.6L engine is great and a faster engine option along with new shaped grille are great ideas. However, they need to revise the appearance of the center console and steering wheel, add an optional navigation system (sister car Grand Prix GXP has one), and add side impact airbags, in addition to the roof-rail air bags, as standard equipment to make it more competitive.

To me an ideal setup would be that the Lucerne CX/CXL would have the DOHC 3.6 VVT engine, the Lucerne CXS Northstar V8, and LaCrosse CX & CXL models would come standard with the CTS’s DOHC 2.8 VVT engine, and they should offer a supercharged/high output version of the 3.6 with like 270+ HP in the LaCrosse CXS with the 6-speed auto tranny (wishful thinking). It would compete better with the new 06 Camry (268 HP) & Acura TL (270 HP) then. Considering GM's current financial situation, they'll probably put the GrandPrix GXP and Impala's SS 5.3 V8 in there and call it a day.

I used to lease a 2002 Olds Intrigue GLS. The Intrigue was the best executed W-body car GM built. GM please hire back the Intrigue's designers to help fix the LaCrosse's suspension and steering feel. I now have a corporate lease on new 05 Grand Prix GTP, but I miss the Intrigue and probably would have chosen a LaCrosse CXS if it already had a just a few of these changes.

However,  they need to revise the appearance of the center console and steering wheel, add an optional navigation system (sister car Grand Prix GXP has one), and add side impact airbags, in addition to the roof-rail air bags, as standard equipment to make it more competitive.

Side impact and side curtain airbags are standard on all LaCrosse trims for 2006.

I agree about offering Nav though.

I agree. The Intrigue was the best W-body execution.

I own one and couldn't be happier. It's the only GM mid-size sedan I like right now. Maybe the Saturn Aura will change that when it comes out. I like think of the Aura as Intrigue v2.0.

I would have loved to see what Oldsmobile was going to go with the Intrigue.

Thats interesting, I went straight from my 91 Regal Limited 2dr. into a Intrigue for a test drive and felt it was less. There was another car on the lot I was more interested in so maybe I didnt give it enough chance. The Intrigue was a car I wanted, to bad that 50th Eighty Eight was there, it just robbed the show. Maybe the Intrigue was heavier than the old Regal and that changed the feeling.

I enjoyed my drive in the CXS but that felt like a downgrade from the LSS which it would be naturally. I imagine a G2 Aurora or something really sporty like a GTP or comp G or Bonneville GXP would be our next car. I can see it is going to be hard to downgrade.........so we wont.

Thats how I felt looking at the .......ahem........imports.........serious step back for more money...........no thanks!

I agree. The Intrigue was the best W-body execution.

<_< No freakin' way! The Olds sucked and its sales numbers prove it.

A LOT of factors contributed to the poor sales... it had little to do with the product, which, was actually good.

Olds was going through a transitional point--much like where Buick is now, and unfortunately (which Buick isn't making the same mistake), they changed their product so radically, it abandoned their faithful customers before it had a new customer base to support it.

Combined with some quality issues, and a few other things going on, as well as the declared demise of Olds, and there you have your craptacular sales.

As a current 2002 Intrigue owner, I can testify that this IS the best W-body ever produced by a long shot. Those that say they aren't must not have driven one. They have a much different feel than any Impala, LaCrosse/Regal and Grand Prix. The seats fit you like a glove. The steering is super precise and sporty. The Shortstar is a 3800 series II and III killer both in performance and smoothness/quietness as I can routinely blow away my buddies 01 Impala LS 3800 or anyone who races me and I often see 26-30 mpg with it and thats not all highway driving. The interior had nice padded dash surfaces and two tone hues without all this silly new satin nickel silver that flakes off and quality control is very good. The only problem I have had in 65k miles is the flickering headlight problem which turned out to be the alternator. No big deal there. The only thing I could wish for is a trip computer and outside temp guage as mine is the base model. The current LaCrosse could learn a thing or two from the Intrigue series like making the 3.6 std across the board like Olds did with the 3.5 Shortstar and making a sporty suspension std across the board and not just in super expensive 32K models!

I went onto Buick.com and I cannot find anywhere it states that the LaCross has side impact airbags. I know it has standard side head curtain roof rail ones, but I'm referring to the torso protection side air bags that either come out of the doors or the seats, they really make a difference in crash test results. If Buick wants to make the LaCrosse more competitive this would be a no brainer to add.

Also I remember reading a Car & Driver or Automobile mag article where the Intrigue beat the Camry & Accord back in 1999 or 2000, so its products weren't inferior. The Intrigue and Aurora would have much sold better if GM had spent some money properly advertising them and given them model names that meant something special and their customer base was used to such as Cutlass and Regency or 98. Just like the G6 isn't selling at the same numbers the Grand AM did. GM has an identity crisis so it has abandon some of its heritage and be viewed as more Euro/Global/Asian. GM wanted to eliminate a division and since they had a hardon for Saturn, they deliberatly setup Olds to fail.

On another note, all the W-bodies lost rear leg room and comfort in the latest refresh. This is the 21st century and with all the advances in technology and space effiencieny over the last 8 years , I can't help but wonder why the rear seat of new models are more cramped than the old ones. Especially evident in the rear seat of the Impala and GP.

The Intrigue's steering was a high water mark for GM. But they had to replace a lot of columns under warranty, I believe because the splined intermediate shaft fitted for improved feel had problems. (My wife's '98 had a steering column replaced when it started binding.) Maybe this is why all their current systems feel vague in comparison?