Sign in to follow this  
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Europe loves the Astra: Over 150,000 orders already received

Europe loves the Astra: Over 150,000 orders already received

2010-05-25

Rüsselsheim. European orders for the new five-door Astra have surpassed the 150,000 mark just five months after the new Opel’s market launch. This puts the Astra on track to outperform the planned sales volume of 180,000 units in its first full year of sales in Europe.

The success is also reflected in registration figures for Europe: registrations of the new five-door Astra increased by over 54 percent from January to April 2010 compared to the predecessor model during the same time last year.

To meet the strong demand for the Astra, which has been awarded the “Golden Steering Wheel” and the “Red dot design award”, the Opel plant in Gliwice is currently running extra shifts. The five-door Astra accounts for around 50 percent of total Astra sales volume in Europe.

„We are extremely satisfied with our new five-door Astra’s start. Now we are eagerly awaiting this year’s launch of the highest-volume model in the Astra line-up, the Sports Tourer,” says Alain Visser, Vice President Sales, Marketing & Aftersales.

The newest member of the five-door Astra family is the Astra 1.3 CDTI ecoFLEX (70 kW/95 hp). With CO2 emissions of just 109 g/km and combined fuel consumption of only 4.1 l/100 km, it sets new standards in efficiency and once again improves the new compact class car’s already impressive standing. Prices for the Astra 1.3 CDTI ecoFLEX start at 19,390 euros in Germany.

LINK:

http://media.opel.com/content/media/intl/en/news/news_detail.brand_opel.html/content/Pages/news/intl/en/2010/OPEL/05_25_astra_europe_orders

They tried it here, it bombed. But it could have gone to the wrong brand. All these cars GM imported like the G8, Astra, etc, or the specialty stuff like the Solsitce would have sold better as a Chevy. It is better to give the good products to Chevy where they will get the most exposure.

Europe also likes that Volkswagen Polo Bluemotion thing, what sells there may not sell here. They could do a Cruze hatch instead of the Astra. That would be a better idea, then GM's hatch is off a well known brand and car, not an unknown import like the Saturn Astra was.

chevy won't do a cruze hatch. but a cruze wagon is possible. the cruze wagon makes a better business case than a buick baby wagon IMO. the cruze also wouldn't get a hatch because the aveo gets one. no reason why they couldn't ship 20,000 astra hatches over to sell in the US in a buick showroom. 3 and 5 door.

cruze wagon MIGHT be why the orlando was cancelled. or put at bay in the US.

saturns one price deal, lack of leasing, and lack of incentives, and bad option packaging, lack of interior colors, lack of certain options, is why astra failed in the US.

for example, no sunroof on the 3 door. 2, only one engine choice, without too much power. no armrest. no mp3 jack. poor automatic.

if they do bring the hatch here they CANNOT put the baby buick sedan grille on it. its too big. they should just replace the Opel grille with a similarly generic grille and a creatively inserted Buick badge in there so literally you can barely tell the opel and buick apart.

since i shopped the hell out of astras when they were around, i always recall things like, 'why can i get an Astra XE without stabilitrak, and with hubcaps, but it has a panaramic moonroof on it?' Or, why doesn't a 20,000 dollar compact have an armrest and cupholders?

the astra could possibly be GM's best overall car line worldwide, and they wouldn't have it here. dumb

Edited by regfootball

That 3dr hatch is slick....I could see that as a Chevy or Pontiac...but never as a Buick...I just can't see a 3dr hatchback working w/ Buick's current NA image and customer base...

that's why i would say if Buick does bring this over as a hatch, the 3 and five door at least, i would not put the buick grille on it. i would keep the astra grille cutout to differentiate it from the sedan and (wagon). you could probably import the 3 and 5 door and build the sedan and wagon here. you could even badge the 3 and 5 door as the astra. I know Buick Astra sounds weird but you'd keep its market position and identity somewhat unique from the sedan.

i really think Buick is contemplating running the astra line here similar to the Golf/Jetta with VW....which makes sense since they are euro competitors.

that 3 door is too nice looking to leave on the shelf.....

if they put the 220hp 2.0 turbo in that 3 door and handed me the keys I think I might have some fun.....

when you think 3 door hatch, that astra rendering is quite stunning actually and makes the Golf 3 door look tired in comparison....you'd ruin it by putting the bigger Buick grille on it....

Edited by regfootball

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook