regfootball

FORD EDGE

Where does the Edge fit into Ford's lineup? Is it inbetween the Freestyle and the Escape? It's starts with 'E'...does that make it a SUV, like Explorer, Expedition? But it is car-based...but so is the Escape. Me sleepy. :huh:

the Edge will sell like hotcakes, bland interior and all.

people like Muranos, but buying one is risky. CVT + Nissan sure to = disaster. The Edge will cut into Murano sales and also take sales from RAV4 and Escape and CRV. The Edge will have no problem selling 100,000 units. I forget, where are they building the Edge?

Edited by regfootball

Better have some defribrilators at the dealerships because you know there's going to be sticker shock at a $27,000 stripped pricetag for a Ford.

My fully-loaded Edge with AWD came out to $37,940...yikes. But if you think about it, the Duratec 35 is standard, and a stripper Explorer starts for around the same price as the Edge. I think the Edge is going to end up hurting the Explorer more than the Escape, since the Explorer is much more expensive and many people are shifting away from truck-based SUVs.

You can't get the sunroof and rear DVD together, I think that's going to be a bad decesion by Ford. Something like the SRX or Maxx has would have been a smarter choice. Lots of people with kids will want the glass roof but also want a DVD player for entertaining the kids.

My fully-loaded Edge with AWD came out to $37,940...yikes.  But if you think about it, the Duratec 35 is standard, and a stripper Explorer starts for around the same price as the Edge.  I think the Edge is going to end up hurting the Explorer more than the Escape, since the Explorer is much more expensive and many people are shifting away from truck-based SUVs.

I tired my best to similarly-equip an Edge SEL and an Explorer Eddie Bauer (AdvanceTrac, backup assist, V8 on the Explorer, safety canopy) and the Edge was a mere $700 less than the Explorer.

Still, its clear to see whose sales this will take...

The more I look at the Edge the uglier it gets. I agree that it will mostly take up Explorer sales (which have collapsed anyway).

How is this different than the failed Malibu Max?

I've seen plenty of Malibu Maxxes priced close to 30 on the sticker.

The Maxx is a car/hatchback. The Edge is an SUV/Crossover.

Better have some defribrilators at the dealerships because you know there's going to be sticker shock at a $27,000 stripped pricetag for a Ford.

wow, you're in GM fan denial. this thing will sell huge. I suspect Pontiac may want to rethink the sticker prices on many of their embarassing 30k china engined Torrents and 30k Lucernes with 3800 motors.

Ford's brought this thing to market with excellent styling, good powertrain, great pricing and ok interior.

empowah, I'm curious to know why you think 35k for a loaded SUV is expensive. Have you priced many of the larger ones with AWD and leather and sunroof etc? The Highlander and Murano are right up there in that exact spot, if not more.

If you really want a good laugh, price a Rendezvoux Ultra on the sticker........40 grand?

I will say this though...if one can find a greatly discounted SRX v6 AWD with no sunroof, it would be a great alternative to this. Assuming you can stomach the questionable looks of the SRX.

Edited by regfootball

You can't get the sunroof and rear DVD together, I think that's going to be a bad decesion by Ford. Something like the SRX or Maxx has would have been a smarter choice. Lots of people with kids will want the glass roof but also want a DVD player for entertaining the kids.

you are correct to say that, however, in most cases I've checked, the automakers will not make the dvd available with the sunroof. So they are still being complete idiots about it. AS USUAL.

empowah, I'm curious to know why you think 35k for a loaded SUV is expensive.  Have you priced many of the larger ones with AWD and leather and sunroof etc?  The Highlander and Murano are right up there in that exact spot, if not more.

It just seems confusing in their hierarchy of SUVs. It's smaller, but more expensive than the Freestyle, which is also a crossover.

That site is a test site. They are testing out different pricing, and guaging interest on future options, just like they did on the Fusion. As a comparison, when the Fusions actual pricing came out............ it was very much on the low end of the test models.

Some on other sites have had prices as low as $24,500 come up. Try it at different times, and you will get different prices.

I don't remember which plant gets the Edge and MkX, but I believe it is Oakville.

It just seems confusing in their hierarchy of SUVs. It's smaller, but more expensive than the Freestyle, which is also a crossover.

when the freestyle gets the new powertrain they will jack the price some

Edited by regfootball

I wasn't aware the Maxx was "failed"...

It was announced that Maxx will not be produced in the future but the Malibe sedan will be. The comment "failed' refered to that and in no way represents my opinion of the vehicle. Another posted replied that the Maxx was a sedan/hatchback and thie edge a suv/crossover. This difference is lost on me and I suspect most purchasers as well. In their base form, they are both FWD, unibody construction, wagon-like vehicles. There is more in common than not.

I tired my best to similarly-equip an Edge SEL and an Explorer Eddie Bauer (AdvanceTrac, backup assist, V8 on the Explorer, safety canopy) and the Edge was a mere $700 less than the Explorer.

Still, its clear to see whose sales this will take...

Probably true. However I bet there will still be people that will appreciate the Explorer's optional V8, increased towing capacity, and more hefty, "truckish" feel.

GM will encounter similar challenges with the new Lambdas versus the Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade.

It was announced that Maxx will not be produced in the future but the Malibe sedan will be.  The comment "failed' refered to that and in no way represents my opinion of the vehicle.  Another posted  replied that the Maxx was a sedan/hatchback and thie edge a suv/crossover.  This difference is lost on me and I suspect most purchasers as well. In their base form, they are both FWD, unibody construction, wagon-like vehicles.  There is more in common than not.

I don't see them comparable at all.

Edge will have a higher ground-clearance, and it will be taller as well.....have optional AWD. Also, it doesn't resemble any other vehicle in the Ford lineup. Maxx is identical to a Malibu sedan with the exception of the hatch versus trunk.

Edge is will be viewed as an SUV.

Malibu Maxx has always been viewed as a CAR.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Today's Birthdays

No users celebrating today.
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook