Northstar

GM plans rear-drive family

Exactly what I was thinking.

It's great to have C&G back.  Did everyone have to re-register?  I'm just wondering.

[post="571"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yep, we all had to re-register. After a 2.5-week long wait, its good to have Cheers and gears back! Fresh new start I think is what we may have needed on here. Bel Air, huh? That's interesting-I remember seeing Bel Rey and Del Ray trademarked awhile back on AutoReport, aka thegriffon's website. And I had no doubt in my mind that they were both Chevy names.

"I want both" Please read the article in detail. Will the RWD sedan possibly replace the W based Impala? {It should} It is getting long in the tooth, even with a re-skin [which is dull btw] With Buick and Pontiac practically merged, will they but heads over which brand get what car?

Bel Air sucks. It doesn't conjure up anything but fogeyism. Just like Malibu. Using the old names will not work to win new customers. Too much baggage. Heritage is great - if it's a product people remember and respect. (i.e. Invicta, Roadmaster, even ElDorado, etc.) GM is about to miss the boat. Again. Camaro needs to be here today and not as a retro charicature of itself or worse, as a reincarnation of the 1980's mullet-mobile. 3.6L High-Feature for the RS is a must too. No 3500 or 3900. Drive through L.A. or Miami - people don't drive US for a reason. Image is everything. Time is running out.

If anything, Roadmaster is "fogeyism", especailly in FL. And Invicta sounds like a disease, who outside of Flint Michigan remembers that as a car name? BelAir was the top trim on the classic 1955-57 Chevy, so I'd say that has more "respect" than Invicta or Roadmaster. Edited by Chicagoland

You're off base, mwaters. No one remembers the Invicta trust me; I own one. And Roadmaster would probably have more "baggage" than 'Bel Air' which --tho was in production thru '76 (IIRC)-- had it's heyday in the late '50s - mid '60s. No "fogeyisms" there either- it's all about hot rods & classics Tri-5s for the most part. The name is sound. In fact- all those you mentioned are sound & without baggage. "even Eldorado" ???????

Does Pontiac really need a big car? Given an agressive A8/Charger/Quattroporte/CLS character, I can see it working. Name? I'd still like Grand Prix for a personal long-wheelbase version of the intermediate, but Bonneville would be cool to return. Catalina makes me think of a land yacht or convertible. If it's going to be a true big car, leave the historicially intermediate names to the Epsilons. This car should be a low slung STS with a more personal feel, but better rear room dynamics. On the Buick front, length, wheelbase, and width is key....this car should be ready for the exec limo market, the seniors, the bling-bling crowd AND China/South Korea. Ready to replace the G/H-bodies and Royaum. No aggressive names like Wildcat. Roadmaster, Park Avenue, Sabre (without the "Le" preferred), Centurion, Spectre, Invicta all fine with me. Done right, it could easily steal LS430 and Crown sales. With Chevy, however, keep it basic for the families and the government fleets, but give it JUST enough flair for the muscle car guys and the street cruisers. Impala, Caprice, Biscayne even? That's OK (I think the former two names sell better here). Lumina for the Middle East and South Africa, Omega for Brazil? Cool with me. Bel Air? Too elegant for a Chevy. Chassiswise, I tend to think the Chevy should have a solid rear axle, but the Pontiac and Buick MUST be independent. Suspension tune, Chevy doesn't matter (as long as it's stable), but think smooth ride with Buick and taut handling with Pontiac. Atlas six for the base, and two sizes of V-8s to option up to. Give the Pontiac a stick and limited slip diff, but have semi-autos ready for all. What about Open and Vauxhall? Is the interest in executive cars totally out of the window in GM's EU stable? In basic, excuse my bias, but I think the Pontiac should be GM's baby of the entire group, with the Buick getting the luxury butter, and the Chevy being the basic trickle-down car.

Yeah I like your idea for the Pontiac LosAngeles. I'd prefer Grand Prix onto a lesser GTO coupe though, put LeMans on a sedan/SportSafari version. All models must be wider (74" IS NOT acceptable for a full-size car), and must have 20 cubic feet of trunk space for large cars; 16-17 for mid-size models, I expect no less-it could be done in the old days, it can be done now. The Buicks should be styled after respective 1998, 1999, and 2000 Signia, Cielo, and LaCrosse concept cars; Chevy's after 1967-69 (mainly 68-69) Camaro and 2003 SS concept; Pontiacs....hmm....I'd say the 1997-2003 Grand Prix and 2004-05 Bonneville GXP. They're tricky because they've had less decent concepts lately in the larger-car field, or decent, truly inspirational concepts (I am not referring to the 2003 G6 or Solstice-they don't stire much emotion with me). Balthazar- The Bel-Air name was dropped after the 1975 model year.

....It was Rick Wagoner who made the final call on dropping the B-Car platform in the first place in 1996, so I have my doubts he got religion in the meantime.

[post="662"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

First off let me say you have the coolest frikin username of all time! This is the 1st time I'm hearing that Wagoneer was responsible for cancelig the B-bodys. If I knew that I would have never stood up for him. Imbecil, Moron, Blind-sighted Fool and "Moon faced Simpleton" come to mind as apt descriptions of him! :angry:

The marketplace has not stood still these last 9 years.....

Very true but neither have GM's LS series pushrod V8s. ;)

*sighs*

Yet again...more talk about RWD coming.... I won't believe it until I actually SEE it in mainstream Chevrolet cars....

Cort, "Mr Road Trip" / soon2be ex-"Mr MC", 31swm/pig valve/pacer
MCfamily.models.HO.chdQB = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
MC Guide = http://www.chevyasylum.com/mcspotter/main.html
IL & area MCs = http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/imcog/
MC's future = http://www.projectmonte.com/petition/
"You've made a fool of everyone" ... Jet ... 'Look What You've Done'

I would LOVE to have a modern Bel Air 4 door, as long as it isn't bland-o-la like most of Chevrolet's current sedans.

[post="1880"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The problem with the Bel Air name is it hasn't been the top-of-the-line Chevy name since 1957... Caprice would be a better choice (assuming that the Impala remains a FWD fleet car).

According to today's "GM Future Models" feature in Automotive news. For the Buick RWD sedan: "GM was developing a Buick vehicle, code-named the Roadmaster, on the Zeta architecture for the 2007 model year. But after Zeta was canceled for North America in March, GM began studying other rwd options including a less-costly version of Zeta. Buick's flagship sedan could arrive for the 2010 model year at the earliest." Absolutely nothing was said of any new RWD Chevrolet Chevelle, Impala, Caprice, BelAir, Biscayne, DelRay,...you name it, no Chevy RWD sedan. Regarding a new Camaro, AN says: "Sporty rwd car: GM wants to offer a sporty, four-passenger car. But the automaker is still looking for a feasible, low-cost, rwd architecture. The Beta platform is under consideration. GM Daewoo is involved in the research." "The car would be targeted at the Ford Mustang. The timing is unclear, but insiders say GM is mulling unveiling a concept Camaro at the Detroit auto show. " No, I am not making this up, yes it does say "GM Daewoo is involved..". Finally for the Pontiac fans: "Grand Prix: ... After a freshening for the 2007 model year, the Grand Prix's next step is undecided. GM has targeted the 2010 model year for a major change. The successor might move to an rwd platform that GM is considering, or it could be based on a re-engineered fwd architecture, code-named Chi." "GTO: No immediate changes are planned for the GTO. Plans for the next-generation GTO are up in the air, given GM's indecision on rwd. " The earliest any new RWD GM car will see the light of day is maybe CY2009? And, even at that, AN says nothing is set in stone. GM is busy developing new trucks and "sport wagons", along with FWD Epsilon II cars. And all the BOF fans, sorry, but any new RWD car line-up will be unibody.

According to today's "GM Future Models" feature in Automotive news.

For the Buick RWD sedan:

"GM was developing a Buick vehicle, code-named the Roadmaster, on the Zeta architecture for the 2007 model year. But after Zeta was canceled for North America in March, GM began studying other rwd options including a less-costly version of Zeta. Buick's flagship sedan could arrive for the 2010 model year at the earliest."

Absolutely nothing was said of any new RWD Chevrolet Chevelle, Impala, Caprice, BelAir, Biscayne, DelRay,...you name it, no Chevy RWD sedan.

Who said the Buick and RWD Chevy would be on the same platform? It says looking at a cheaper version of Zeta. Camaro and its 4 door brother won't nesscisarily have any cousins.

Regarding a new Camaro, AN says:

"Sporty rwd car: GM wants to offer a sporty, four-passenger car. But the automaker is still looking for a feasible, low-cost, rwd architecture. The Beta platform is under consideration. GM Daewoo is involved in the research."

"The car would be targeted at the Ford Mustang. The timing is unclear, but insiders say GM is mulling unveiling a concept Camaro at the Detroit auto show. "

There is something coming and I doubt Daewoo would have anything to do with it. Holden is still the RWD homeroom. They are concentrating on the VE launch so there probably isn't any suspension research going on. GMNA could be working with what they already have from Holden on an offshoot from Sigma or Zeta but it is unclear at this point. The fact that they mention Beta, something that is PURELY internet fodder and has NEVER been used by GM means they don't have a clue and are just trying to fill space and gather a few Camaro readers.

everyone just needs to take a deep breath and chill out, as it stands RWD is ("is" is being used very loosely) coming, i think we should just sit back and bask in the radient glow of GM getting off its butt and doing something intelligent if not neccisarrily for intelligent reasons, give the whole thing a week or two, see if it pans out, then speculate and criticize all you want.

I hope those cars will be stylish unlike the boring 2006 Impala.
It would also be nice if they had more chrome than the 2006 cars

[post="547"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I agree, even if they just follow the example of chrome on the Lacrosse, that car in black looks HOT!

People here talk as if tomorrow, GM is going to switch time back to 1965 and have a full line of BOF RWD cars. Riiiiight! Since 2002, C&G has claimed that a new Camaro was "just around the corner". 2005, 2007, 2008, now when? Maybe 2012, in time for the 10th ann of last ones? And what plant is going to make this car and its "4 door cousins"? What platfrom? Maybe Holden will make 4 door Camaros and GM can point them against Chargers? No, Zeta is not coming, and no Kappa 4 seaters are planned either. Maybe when Mars is explored by humans there will be a new Camaro?

Maybe when Mars is explored by humans there will be a new Camaro?

[post="2676"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well, just ask Mr. Red Planet himself. He's made many a posts over at CZ28.com that the new Camaro is coming.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook