Sign in to follow this  
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Spy Shots: 2011 Volkswagen Jetta

Spy Shots: 2011 Volkswagen Jetta

By Viknesh Vijayenthiran

Editor

May 27th, 2010

Sales of the new 2010 Volkswagen Golf (MkVI) is picking up pace all around the country and considering the car’s solid feel, classy styling and German engineering, it’s easy to understand why. Oh, did we mention that it’s also available with a dual clutch transmission and a frugal turbodiesel engine that returns more than 40 mpg on the highway?

It’s little wonder the Golf is such a sales success all around the world--but in a country that prefers sedans over hatchbacks, there’s one very important model in the Volkswagen lineup that’s yet to be released. Volkswagen’s new Jetta sedan is just around the corner and has been spied testing in Germany in prototype form.

The 2011 Volkswagen Jetta is expected to arrive in local showrooms early next year as a 2011 model. Previewed by Volkswagen’s New Compact Coupe Concept back at January’s Detroit Auto Show, the new Jetta will feature slightly different styling to the Golf hatchback on which it’s based. A more chiseled front end, sculptured flanks and a conventional trunk at the back will feature on the latest Jetta.

Powertrain options should mirror those of the Golf, which means a range of four-cylinder engines including the aforementioned 2.0-liter turbodiesel in a new Jetta TDI. A high-performance GTI model may also be offered for the first time, complete with a 2.0-liter TFSI engine packing 210 horsepower. A hybrid version has also been confirmed for launch and is due in 2012.

Look for the 2011 Volkswagen Jetta to make its world debut at the 2010 Paris Auto Show in October.

link:

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1045553_spy-shots-2011-volkswagen-jetta

all the pictures i have seen on this suggest the styling is a laid egg of boring and toyota dull. i heard the interior shares some bits with some of the current VW's. VW will have to demonstrate they can't cheapen the interior on this car because it may be their only calling card on the thing.

VW runs a risk here. Is this new Jetta the new midsize entry or is the new Passat the midsize? Is this Jetta a compact, a midsize, or a tweener?

Subaru learned. Look at what it did for Lagacy sales. Up huge. THing is, the Legacy is nicer to look at than this turd.

It's not like VW has reliability record to fall back on. Or low price. VW is treading dangerous water trying to mainstream and grab share. At least their perceived cache is higher than Toyota, but I can't see this Jetta out styling, outspacing, outpricing, outwarrantying, or outdoing the Sonata in reliability. It may not even outdrive it with a stupid 5 pot under the hood.

I guess as long as VW has their 'typical base' of fans that want the current Jetta a little bigger, than I guess they might be just OK.

At least this creates more room in the showroom for the Golf.

I have zero interest in this thing, at least until i can see the interior, or see if it drives worlds better than the competition. And even then the styling is a complete yawn and is majorly dated.

Also saw next gen Passat spy phots recently and they seem to be reverting back to the previous look, the upright audi thing. They might even kill the market for the Passat if they push it up too high.

Odd, I love the CC. Best excuse for a VW purchase out there right now. Current Passat is not bad but kinda pricey.

Edited by regfootball
  • Downvote 3

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook