Sign in to follow this  
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Missed that speed-limit sign? Your GM car could see it for you

10 posts in this topic

Missed that speed-limit sign? Your GM car could see it for you

08:40 AM

As any traffic cop will tell you, it's the oldest excuse in the world: "Officer, I didn't see the sign." Whether true or not, General Motors has a technology on the horizon that could end the excuse -- and save some lives.

GM's Opel unit, along with BMW, is trying out a system in Europe that can read traffic signs and relay the information directly to drivers in the car. It tells drivers the speed limit on any road, and informs them of other warning signs as well, says Jim Federico, GM's chief of its midsize cars lineup. He talked about as Drive On was trying out the new 2011 Buick Regal, right. Right now, the car is devoid of techno-gimmicks. The sign reader could supply a bit of gee-whiz technology that could captivate buyers.

The system is still being perfected. It's having trouble reading digital signs. And the kinks are still being worked out. When drivers bring in their cars for service in Europe, the computerized system can be updated with better sign recognition software. It's coming to the U.S., but just when hasn't been determined. But when it does, drivers will have the latest speed-limit displayed right in front of them. No more excuses to the cops.

link:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2010/05/missed-that-speed-limit-sign-your-gm-car-could-see-it-for-you/1

hyperv6    774

Am I the only one or are you also getting Teched out with some of the electronic garbage in some of these cars.

What ever became of just getting there.

It is to the point no one will be able to repair some of this stuff once the electronics die.

Drew Dowdell    5,159

GM already sort of has this on some of the Buicks and Cadillacs but it's linked to GPS data rather than a camera snapping a pic. It displays a little speed limit sign in the center pod of the dash

Camino LS6    866

Am I the only one or are you also getting Teched out with some of the electronic garbage in some of these cars.

What ever became of just getting there.

It is to the point no one will be able to repair some of this stuff once the electronics die.

You are not alone.

What ever happened to actually paying attention while driving?

FAPTurbo    1,093

This is merely a symptom of the problem of inattentive drivers, NOT the cause. The only way to fix this problem is to get your state to funnel more money into better licensing programs like a graduated system, and constant retraining.

hyperv6    774

GM already sort of has this on some of the Buicks and Cadillacs but it's linked to GPS data rather than a camera snapping a pic. It displays a little speed limit sign in the center pod of the dash

If you want to get prehistoric the little red needle speed warning in the 70's was the low tech version. LOL! God My Mom could sure get that dash to buzz a lot driving her car. Mom likes to go fast.

hyperv6    774

You are not alone.

What ever happened to actually paying attention while driving?

What really rips me is the auto park. For Gods sake if you can't park the damn car then you should not be driving.

I have no use for GPS as I read signs.

Now we have the gas pedal over ride so kids will no longer know the joy of brake torquing. Donuts and rockford bootleg turns are out with cars you can not shut the Stability Control and Anti Lock Brakes off.

It is amazing how unskilled todays drivers will become. Many of the fun things like uncontroled RWD are what taught me car control that has not only helped me in racing but also may have saved my life.

Now all you can do is plant the foot on the pedal and and hope the whole thing works out. In some cases the electronic help in others well it is not so good.

I am affraid with the Playstation generation getting older electronics will run rampant. I am just affraid with the new MPG rules so many things will have to be used that the new cars will be a major issue to deal with as they get old. Electonics seem to be good for 10 years and then they start to fail. Once they do the cars will not be worth the repair bill. Or the Batteries in the case of Hybrids.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this