Which name do you prefer?

Which name would you prefer?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which name would you prefer?

• G6
    • Tempest
    • Grand Am
    • Phoenix

This should be in the Pontiac forum, but since there's more traffic here I'll make it here. If admins think so, I'm OK to move it. OK, if you were to choose a name to for the G6, same car, what name would you choose? I took some names that would mostly related to a Pontiac compact car.

Fiero?

[post="6918"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

A cat is dying again :P Fiero should NEVER go on cars with a front engine.

I bet BV went for Grand Am, because he has one.

I like Tempest, since it goes nicely with other names like Torrent, Solstice. Although as I mentioned before it's polluted up here in Canada as a rebadged Corsica. Edited by ToniCipriani

See, I had to choose between Grand Am and Phoenix. I figured Phoenix would be a change, and the legend behind the "fire" always makes me think of the red gauges inside Pontiacs.

Maybe the Grand thing is over and there are so many. Grand Caravan, Grand Prix, Grand Am, Grand Cherokee, Grandpapa, Grand Vitara, Grandma, Grand Carnival(new Kia)...it's been done to death. Maybe just call it a Pontiac Arrow....you know the Pontiac emblem is an arrow........

No, the Grand theme is perfectly fine... It's not Pontiac's fault all these other automakers have used it after them. It's not about the Grand theme, though. It is the racing theme. Grand Am, Grand Prix, Bonneville, LeMans, Trans Am.... All racing inspired. And yes, I know the Pontiac emblem is an arrowhead. But, Pontiac Arrow sounds retarded.

As for the other names... They don't belong on this car. It's a Grand Am. It's obvious. That's the only name it should have other than the crappy alphanumeric.

Of those listed, I like Tempest the best. Sounds powerful and dangerous. On the downside, it isn't exactly PC to talk about tempests right now.

G6 is a soulless alphanumeric, and we've been over that a million times.

Grand Am has always just sounded like a stupid name to me, for two reasons: 1: Pontiac has another car called the Grand Prix, and it often causes confusion. 2: There's no way to say "Grand Am" without it sounding like you said "Damn".

Phoenix would make a lot of people remember the original Phoenix... not a good thing. It'd be a great name, if only it hadn't been tarnished.

Well honestly GM brought the current G6 to win customers back from the Japanese manufacturers, namely Toyota and Honda. I doubt this crowd know jack about Pontiac's history, or would really care about it. Don't forget we're enthusiasts here, so we have a slight difference compared to the general public. The name Grand Am is recent and is almost synonym to problems (no offense, BV, but this is what the service tech told me when I took my car to service at a Pontiac dealer last time. That's what I hear from a lot of people as well). One of my friend says he won't even consider the G6 if it was called Grand Am. He's lived a mostly a Honda life. Edited by ToniCipriani

Out of the listed names I chose Phoenix because of it's story (the actual story in mythology), it's relation to the Firebird and it's overall cool and 'new' sound. Other names I would suggest: REV Le Mans (Maybe) I dunno....I think Grand Am does kinda have a negative connotation with it (Although I always liked the Grand Am) LOL, maybe GSX type 6. Then the media would've loved it, hell we could even flip the Pontiac arrowhead upside down so it looks more like the "awesome" and "snazzy" and "cool" (sarcasm) yet mundane "A" that adorns all Car and Driver pay check writers...er... I mean Acuras

I picked none of the above-Grand Am evokes bad car to me, G6 I'd like to ditch, Tempest leave for a mid-size, and Phoenix says to me forgettable car, I'd pick the one-time Can Am, which of course was a limited-edition, special-edition 1977 LeMans Sport Coupe.

It's nuce to see that everyone thinks of Phoenix as the 80-85 cheeseball, as opposed to the 75-79 Nova-based car with the interesting nose and infinite possibilities. Grand Am began as an A-body car based on the 73-77 LeMans....almost like a GTO trim level, without using the GTO name on such a big car (around this time was when it was moved to the Ventura, I believe) It's also nice to know that Canadians can influence us to hate the Tempest name because it got stuck to a rebadged Corsica out there.... LeMans might have been the best for this car, as one could have drummed up a GT1 version of the coupe and made things really interesting. But oh well, it's a G6, and I can live with that.

Tempest reminds me of a mountain.
Phoenix reminds me of a bird on fire. Cool. (especially since Pontiac always had sunbird and firebird and stuff)
G6 reminds me of a boring ass car. That's what it is.
Grand Am's okay, but it has been worn out. Good choice though.

Overall, Phoenix first, then Grand Am. The others don't even compare.

I would have voted but none of the above was not offered. I am a long time Pontiac fan and feel that too much is made about calling the new car a Garand Am. There are many still upset that the name was used on a FWD in the 80's. I just feel this car was suited for a new name but G6 was a lame cop out. Pontiac has not had many good name of late so G6 may not be all that bad ofter all. I would like to see Pontiac use names they had in the past on show cars and use them today. They have a heritage but with out the production past stigma. Banshee is a goo example of this. Also the Fiero name came from a Pontiac Firebird show car of the late 60's. Also I am sure they could find some Native American names that would fit there heritage and not offend anyone. Phoenix was a good example. Are car companies are so lame today they have to rely on retro to style their cars or use old name and numbers to sell cars. If you do a great looking and performing car you could name it the Pope mobile or Solstice and it would sell. So few have good original thoughts today or willing to take a chance on something new in the Auto industry and television industry. Lets face it how many more reality shows or carbon copy cars do we need.

Fiero?

[post="6918"][/post]

LMAO :lol:

But seriously great thread. I voted for Grand Am. I like Phoenix & Tempest just as much but since it's not about me but about sales G/A is the way to go. After all, just a few years ago Grand Ams accounted for over 60% of total Pontiac sales. Firebird/TransAm, Sunfire, Grand Prix, Bonneville, & Trans Sport Montana all togeather were less than 40%.

You don't mess wiht that kind of sucess. <_<

Here's that cartoon I made for this kind of thread on the old C&G.

Posted Image Edited by Sixty8panther

Well, keep in mind the GA sold really well because they were dumped en masse into rental fleets. Yeah, it moved on its own, but that helped.

And 60%? I think you're pulling that number out of your ass. Grand Prixs sold a heck of a lot before the '04 redesign as did the Bonneville when it debuted in 2000.

The G6 should of been the new Grand Prix.

[post="11278"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

No it shouldn't have...that thing is simply too small.

It also shouldn't have been where the GTP nameplate was moved to.

[joking + sarcasm]

Eh... after reading all the posts, it seems Pontiac has two naming traditions:
Prefix = Grand
Suffix = Bird

To uphold tradition, why not have Pontiac rename the G6 to Grand Bird. Instead of the "Screaming Chicken" painted on the hood, Pontiac can put an extended middle finger. However, there could be a Grand Bird SC package that includes the Screaming Chicken on the hood, trunk, and side doors... but the added ground effects and wheel covers would have to remain body colored to follow previous Pontiac sport package tradition. :P

[/joking + sarcasm]

I voted for G6... The other names just don't fit or carry too much baggage. I view the G6 as a transitional name/vehicle to help Pontiac break away from its tarnished image. It should work if Pontiac would just upgrade the interior.

• 3 weeks later...
Grand Am was a decent name. At one time the Trans Am and Grand Am were related. After the Trans Am name faded I guess the Grand Am name became a leftover from the 70s. GM can still bring it back on Epsilon 2 but, I wouldn't be shocked if all Pontiac's main cars get the G? names. Its a shame but, I guess it will work out eventually. Remember that the Pontiac 6000, 3000, etc. were dropped in favor of promoting the Sunbird, Grand Am, Grand Prix, & Bonneville in the early 90s.

Well, keep in mind the GA sold really well because they were dumped en masse into rental fleets. Yeah, it moved on its own, but that helped.

And 60%? I think you're pulling that number out of your ass. Grand Prixs sold a heck of a lot before the '04 redesign as did the Bonneville when it debuted in 2000.

[post="8805"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I don;'t feel like arguing and looking it up at this moment. IN the late 90s when the new N-body came out the Grand Am was said to comprise 60% of Pontiac sales. It was either MOtor trend or R&T. I get like 15 car magazines so it's hard to keep them straight. Either way I know for a FACT it was over half. It also struck me as bizzare.

And why is the G6 not selling well to fleets then?

OK, Canucks, here's what should be done...you guys can keep the G6 name, and we'll kindly take Tempest ourselves. Because hey, we can't help that you guys didn't get the Tempest name until the 80s, when it was thrown on the crappy runabout Chevy known as the Corsica. Don't blame us, we didn't start the trend....we were too busy enjoying a Tempest that was a REAL Pontiac in the 60s, when y'all were forced to deal with the regrilled Chevelle and the name Beaumont. It is what it is, Canada, it was what it was...now get over it.

Exactly... Tempest isn't right for the G6. Everybody would complain that it isn't RWD (especially Sixty8). Save it for something else... maybe another Corsica. :lol: But seriously, it needs to be called what it is; a Grand Am. That's why anyone who voted for anything other than Grand Am needs to be shot. :D :P