NewsFeeder

Rumormill: Buick wagons, hatchbacks and diesels, oh my!

Filed under: Sedan, Wagon, Europe, Hatchback, Buick, Opel, Rumormill, Luxury

buick-regal-630-1275064760.jpg
2011 Buick Regal - Click above for high-res image gallery

A fresh batch of rumors kicking around the web are claiming that General Motors is seriously mulling bringing hatchback and wagon versions of the all-new Buick Regal to the States. In the brand's ongoing quest to shed its status as a synonym for all things elderly, the Tri-Crest has raided the Opel parts bin, slipped a waterfall grille on the nose of the Insignia and called it a day. We were simply glad to hear that the car would be available with a turbo mill and a third pedal, but according to Car and Driver, things are about to get even more interesting.

It turns out the Insignia is available as a hatchback and a wagon in more civilized portions of the world. Jim Federico, the man who led the Regal to the fountain of youth, told C/D that the U.S. will be getting at least one of the other body styles within a few short years, and that there's a good chance that both of them will show up on dealer lots at some point in the near future. Chances are that's not exactly ground-breaking news by anyone's standards, but it gets better. Federico has said that since American wagon buyers are suddenly smitten with the likes of the Jetta TDI Sportwagen, the Regal long-roof will boast an oil-burning powerplant.

Needless to say, our eyes are dish-plate sized at the news. Could Buick possibly offer an all-wheel drive diesel wagon with a six-speed manual transmission? We want to believe, but our skeptical side is in full go-mode on this one.

Gallery: 2011 Buick Regal

x11bu_rg004_thumbnail.jpgx11bu_rg005_thumbnail.jpgx11bu_rg007_thumbnail.jpgx11bu_rg006_thumbnail.jpgx11bu_rg010_thumbnail.jpg

[source: Car and Driver]

Rumormill: Buick wagons, hatchbacks and diesels, oh my! originally appeared on Autoblog on Fri, 28 May 2010 13:31:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=I5vUPTtkWZg:zi0gZhX_liQ:wF9xT autoblog?i=I5vUPTtkWZg:zi0gZhX_liQ:V_sGL
I5vUPTtkWZg

View the full article

I have no doubt that at least one of those two body styles will make it over, both would be even nicer.

and the only new Jettas I see these days seem to be wagons.

Wagon would be preferable here. Five-doors and hatches don't usually do as well above the compact segment.

I think both will sell in small numbers but with this being sold already in Europe and China both could be sold here in small numbers at a profit.

The is just little market for each but the option would be nice for those who want either.

This kind of program may get people to buy A GM or Buick that normally would not even test drive one. Even if they sell only a few. Those who do buy that tell their friends how much they like their cars can sell more sedans.

Might as well do both since many new GM cars are practically fastback in profile anyhow... Look at the new Lacrosse for example, where does the backlight end and the trunk begin? A styling feature I am not a fan of.

This is one good thing about Buick as it can take risk on cars that may or many not sell and give them a shot on the US market. If this was a North American model only they would never try it.

IF this works good if it fails they still sell them in China and Europe and recoupe the cost. No coupe pun intended.

I do think we will see a coupe at some point but they need to get the higher volume money maker out first.

Opel is spoonfeeding Buick its lifeline with two whole new vehicle lineups.

It may be in their interest to leverage that little gift and reinvent themselves in the process. It might be Buick's only chance.

I may not be wowed by this car, but I wholeheartedly endorse the idea of offering multiple bodystyles and drivetrains.

It is a time-tested, and successful, approach.

I may not be wowed by this car, but I wholeheartedly endorse the idea of offering multiple bodystyles and drivetrains.

It is a time-tested, and successful, approach.

Camino you I think get the wrong idea of how most of us feel about this car. While it is not a car most of use will rush out and buy it is a car that will help change GM and make Buick a functioning profitable division again.

When we speak we get exited that this car is a good car for GM. GM needs to go in new directions in styling and quality. This car puts them on the same plain as the others. The future cars will hopefully move them to the next level and become the bench mark.

Cars like this make a profit and become in demand it will let them later bring better cars and offer the things like AWD and 325 HP Turbo V6 engines.

Right now GM can get away with selling people in trying a $26,000 Buick but few have the trust yet to shell out near $40,000 for a AWD GS with a V6 yet. GM needs to start out and build their trust to earn the publics dollar.

Every move needs to make a dollar. Building image cars at no profit is over. The Volt is the only one that can get away with that but it too must earn it's keep once on the market for a couple years. That is why they are working to drive down cost to build them.

Edited by hyperv6
  • Upvote 1

I'm not so sure, Hyper.

A number of folks around here seem genuinely jazzed by this car.

Good for Buick, good for GM, but I just don't see it that's all.

But this thread is about something I can endorse: variety under a single nameplate.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook