NewsFeeder

NYC seeks Taxi of Tomorrow; is UniCab the answer?

24 posts in this topic

NewsFeeder    9

Filed under: Concept Cars, Work, Specialty, Design/Style

taxi-tomorrow.jpg

A couple of years have passed now since the New York Taxi and Limousine Commission (TLC) announced its search for a vehicle that would replace the taxis of New York City with something that better fits the times. The TLC created a website for creative types to submit ideas for the "Taxi of Tomorrow," and one of the more interesting proposals to come in over the last couple of years is something called the UniCab.

The groundwork for NYC's Taxi of Tomorrow is quite simple:
  • Meets highest safety standards
  • Superior passenger experience
  • Superior driver comfort and amenities
  • Appropriate purchase price and ongoing maintenance and repair costs
  • Smaller environmental footprint (lower emissions and improved fuel economy)
  • Smaller physical footprint (with more usable interior room)
  • Compliance with appropriate Americans with Disabilities Act requirements
  • Iconic design that will identify the new taxi with New York City
Born out of those guidelines, the UniCab looks nothing like a traditional taxi, aside from the yellow color. The UniCab features seating for four passengers, an automated ramp for those with disabilities, an infotainment center that displays intended routes and attractions along the way and outward sight lines that allow all of the passengers to get a great view of the glorious city of New York. Though nothing more than a design sketch right now, the UniCab could change our perception of taxis in the future and make hailing a cab the hip, green thing to do. Hat tip to Zelda!

[source: The Taxi of Tomorrow]

NYC seeks Taxi of Tomorrow; is UniCab the answer? originally appeared on Autoblog on Mon, 31 May 2010 16:54:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=92_7bF8lwNc:lGSP0OoIAf0:wF9xT autoblog?i=92_7bF8lwNc:lGSP0OoIAf0:V_sGL
92_7bF8lwNc

View the full article

thedriver    39

Where is the engine? Not in front, no room. Not in the rear, there is a cargo drawer. Not under the floor, that is where the ramp lives. An interesting idea, but needs work.

PurdueGuy    72

Where is the engine? Not in front, no room. Not in the rear, there is a cargo drawer. Not under the floor, that is where the ramp lives. An interesting idea, but needs work.

It's powered by rainbows & unicorn farts, duh.

ZL-1    160
unicorn farts

Won't the environmentalist crowd complain about greehouse gas emissions then? :P

67impss    89

True, other than trying to cut inner city fumes there are many vehicles that could work out fine as taxis minivans do well here.

Electric motors in each wheel hub? That would be appropriately futuristic.

I don't see why the city needs to dictate a new model?

They are trying to lead into the future rather than follow?

Maybe Fiat should build a US spec electric Multipla for the NYC taxi market. I've ridden in Multipla taxis in Italy and they are huge inside yet tiny outside.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

siegen    20

This is a taxi, not a police enforcer. It doesn't need to be special. A Honda Fit will work great.... oh, except for the fat people. Better make it a Suburban.

Looks kind of cool & quite "French" in a good way.

It also seems as production ready as the Carbon Motors Cop Car. In other words: not very.

Funny how the old, tired, BOF, RWD, V8 Panther Chassis, obsolete & way overdue for Euthenasia according to many, is still in need of a true viable replacement as far as a durrable, long-lasting vehicle and it seems that every nerd engineer or green-party dolt has an idea about how to design a vehicle that should fit the old Panther/B-body chassis buts somehow cost five times as much.

Kinda be cool to see Checker start back up with this project in mind.

Agreed.

Edited by Sixty8panther

FAPTurbo    1,090

At first, I thought it'd be powered by electric motors within the wheels. But then this makes no mention of it being electric.

Electric motor at each wheel: proposed by DeSoto, 1959.

Interesting that no one has produced something like that yet...maybe once electric cars take off, the technology will become a reality.

ocnblu    772

Croc blurs the distinction between taxi and bus, methinks. A taxi needs to be more intimate and private.

SAmadei    224

Interesting that no one has produced something like that yet...maybe once electric cars take off, the technology will become a reality.

I brought it up in a 'future car layout' post a few months back... but I stole the idea from the QED Mini... Here

Taxi with seating for 7?

When/where have you ever seen a 8-passenger taxi? (7+driver) :huh:

I honestly think 3 passengers + roomy luggage compartment is plenty for 99% of NYC taxis.

Camino LS6    866

They are trying to lead into the future rather than follow?

Nah, they are trying to legislate the future and take control of yet another aspect of life.

Stories like this just depress me.

Croc    268

Croc blurs the distinction between taxi and bus, methinks. A taxi needs to be more intimate and private.

No, I just recognize that many families number 3-5. If this new taxi is supposed to offer MORE seating than the Crown Vic, then it should...5 > 4 (3 in back + 1 up front). The London taxis seat 5...rear bench + 2 fold-out jump seats.

pow    106
* Meets highest safety standards

* Superior passenger experience

* Superior driver comfort and amenities

* Appropriate purchase price and ongoing maintenance and repair costs

* Smaller environmental footprint (lower emissions and improved fuel economy)

* Smaller physical footprint (with more usable interior room)

* Compliance with appropriate Americans with Disabilities Act requirements

* Iconic design that will identify the new taxi with New York City

Methinks a CNG Transit Connect will already fulfill those requirements... looks pretty sweet in concept form, too:

Ford-Transit-Connect-Taxi-001.JPG

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.