NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

2011 Buick Regal CXL Start Up, Engine, and In Depth Review

14 posts in this topic

smk4565    351

Well it has the tradition GM "bong" that bongs at you relentlessly, and a turn signal sound of a 1990 Fleetwood. The Ecotec sounds like a diesel, I could never own a 4-cylinder car.

The fit and finish looks solid, the build quality looks high, but the all black interior is rather monotone.

• Downvote 1

hyperv6    774

The noise is not the Ecotec but the High Pressure Fuel Pump on the engine. All DI engines have this ticking sound from the secondary High pressure pump on the engine. It is pretty powerful since it has to pump the pressure up a couple thousand pounds. This one is a little more noisy than others but you can't hear them inside. Mine has a insulating cap over it to kill most of the noise. The 3.6 and 3.0 DI engines sound the same as will the new V8 DI engine.

Overal this car should do well for Buick and give them a chance at new buyers who not only would not have considered Buick but also GM.

Drew Dowdell    5,159

Turn signals need to have a specific sound now? SMK, you're really running out of things to pick on aren't you?

And for your information, no they don't sound like a '90 Fleetwood. A Fleetwood has a metallic mechanical turn signal activator. Most modern GMs use an electronic controller.

As for the engine sound... listen to any DI engine today.... they all sound like that.

smk4565    351

I've driven the CTS, it doesn't sound as rattly as that. It is a 4-cylinder thing, doesn't matter if it is Honda, GM, Audi, Saab, Ford or Toyota, they all rattle to some degree.

Whether this car is a Saturn, Opel, Buick or whatever, I just don't see much to get excited about. $30,000 for a 184 hp 4-cylinder car, whoopity do.

• Downvote 1

Paolino    99

Well, still have to test drive it when I start looking in the fall, but I have a feeling I'm sold. Majestic Blue Metallic with a Cashmere interior, and I swear I'd be the happiest man on earth with this car.

hyperv6    774

I've driven the CTS, it doesn't sound as rattly as that. It is a 4-cylinder thing, doesn't matter if it is Honda, GM, Audi, Saab, Ford or Toyota, they all rattle to some degree.

Whether this car is a Saturn, Opel, Buick or whatever, I just don't see much to get excited about. $30,000 for a 184 hp 4-cylinder car, whoopity do.

If you would drive the Regal you would also not hear the noise. But if you stuck you head under the CTS hood you would hear the same sound.

At this point 70% pf the cars sold are 4 cylinders. This number will only increase. From your comments it sounds as if you have no seat time with a Eco Turbo. I think many of the people who have never driven one would find a great suprise with this engine. In fact if they did not know it was under the hood most would ever suspect a 4 cylinder was there. When meeting the HP sweet spot from around 2000-5000 it is amzing the pull of this engine and in a quiet car like the Buick you would hear very little of it.

Edited by hyperv6

Drew Dowdell    5,159

I've driven the CTS also. You can hear the injector click with the hood closed, but you can really hear it with the hood open. Can't hear it from inside the car though.

Paolino    99

I find it interesting there is no remote start button on the key fob.

Lamar    72

I find it interesting there is no remote start button on the key fob.

My guess is that remote start is an uplevel option. This didn't look like the top-of-the-line Regal CXL by any stretch.

Lamar    72

Yeah, I saw the other night when I decided to build and price one.

I just wonder how much content the forthcoming CX won't have.

Drew Dowdell    5,159

I don't think they can decontent it much without bumping into the coming Delta II Buick. As it is, the Regal is in line with the Volvo S40 and outgoing VW Passat in base price and base content.

Besides, remember that Buick is ditching trimlines soon.

Lamar    72

Well, it's not uncommon for a top-trim lower model to overlap with a baseline upper model (thinking 335i versus 528i).

I was thinking about keeping differentiation between this and the upcoming Malibu.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.