NewsFeeder

Third Drive: 2011 Buick Regal makes even more sense on American soil

12 posts in this topic

NewsFeeder    9

Filed under: Sedan, Performance, Buick, First Drive, Luxury

01buickregal2d2011opt.jpg
2011 Buick Regal - Click above for high-res image gallery

It was cold and rainy last November when we first drove an early prototype of the 2011 Buick Regal in Michigan. The weather was lousy, but our short time with the car intrigued us. There were far fewer complaints about conditions last month when we spent time with the sport sedan on the famed Nürburgring in Germany - its home turf. As it moves closer to arrival, Buick's newest family member once again showed us its moves in the mountains of Southern California.

We spent the better part of a sunny spring day driving both the normally-aspirated and turbocharged models - each with automatic transmissions - in an attempt to see how the imported European challenger runs on clean and dry domestic pavement. How does the four-door sedan perform in this new arena? Is it tough enough to compete in the mid-size segment? Most importantly, is the Buick Regal good enough to accomplish its goal?

Photos by Michael Harley / Copyright ©2010 Weblogs, Inc.

Continue reading Third Drive: 2011 Buick Regal makes even more sense on American soil

Third Drive: 2011 Buick Regal makes even more sense on American soil originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 01 Jun 2010 11:58:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=sAEreXHg0FE:aTTXNn299iI:wF9xT autoblog?i=sAEreXHg0FE:aTTXNn299iI:V_sGL
sAEreXHg0FE

View the full article

Too bad this thing is Wrong Wheel Drive because it looks real sharp!

I bet it will sell quite well.

Buick has really come a long way in just a few short years, here's what should come next:

- 2 door Personal Luxury Coupe: (V8, RWD Boattail Riviera)

- Full Size, RWD Sedan with V6 & V8 power: Roadmaster / Park Ave. / Electra

siegen    20

Looks pretty good, though the front cut line looks goofy the way it runs through the hood. Lots of front overhang. Resembles an older Audi A6. Very clean lines.

hyperv6    774

THis car is what the market wants and likes. It should do well for a car done before the Chapter 11.

The AWD may come later but they should only do it if they can price it right. No reason to make a very expensive option few will buy.

Biuck needs to gain trust with quality and value and only offer the expensive crap when people know it is worth the extra money. The Trust is not there to make this a $38,000 car.

hyperv6    774

Stop thinking like the past. The average buyer has no love affair for these cars and too few Buick fans to buy this kind to make money.

Buick needs to make car that todays market wants and live in the present.

GM needs to sell this car to people who don't care for GM and make a car like they are wanting now.

The last thing Buick needs is a car that has a styling cue that contains the word Boat in it.

Traditional buyers will not save GM or Buick. THe people they need are in Honda's, Toyota's Lexus, VW, and other popular makes in this price range. Most traditional buyers are like my Dad in a nusing home or on the way to one.

I would love to see GM replace the Lacrosse soon with a bigger more advanced version of the Regal. Do it once Buick starts to earn the trust.

As for a Coupe the 2+2 they showed would be a very good fit for a younger age group. People may want a coupe but they do not want anything larger than the CTS coupe. Most want smaller and sporty.

Edited by hyperv6
  • Downvote 1

smk4565    351

Too bad this thing is Wrong Wheel Drive because it looks real sharp!

I bet it will sell quite well.

Buick has really come a long way in just a few short years, here's what should come next:

I like the wrong wheel drive line. Although I don't think Buick needs rear drive that much. They are going for Mercury, bottom end Acura, Volvo, Lincoln, and upper level Chevy and Toyota buyers. None of those consumers look for rear drive. Of course RWD would give Buick something to differentiate themselves on. But it is Cadillac that needs rear drive, not Buick.

balthazar    2,004

smk4565 ~ >>"They are going for Mercury, bottom end Acura, Volvo, Lincoln, and upper level Chevy and Toyota buyers. None of those consumers look for rear drive."<<

Don't forget bottom end BMW; where a full 80% believe they bought FWD (1-series), or the 30-40% who think the 3-series is FWD). :duh::P:rofl::butthead::roflmao:

Edited by balthazar

While I have a high level of respect for many of BMW's products I do realize that the average BMW driver is often times just a Tool / Ice Queen with a fat paycheck.

• Upvote 1

MyerShift    7

While I have a high level of respect for many of BMW's products I do realize that the average BMW driver is often times just a Tool / Ice Queen with a fat paycheck.

Indeed. Although I have never driven anything BMW, I do find their product mostly respectable but wouldn't neccesarily want to own one due to this observation I find all too often times true.

I am still stoked that they are going to offer a manual in the Regal. Especially considering the U.S. market.

regfootball    250

when i checked out the new regal i saw the other day, it was very striking. climbing inside for a bit, its well done.

to me, keeping it simple with fwd is the best bet. the car does not exude the persona of a rwd car or a balls out performance car.

awd may make sense for some in this car, but its not a large car. burdening it with all the weight of the awd, it would need big power to make it feel premium.

my favorite config of this car would be a 2.0 turbo fwd with 260/280 or something like that. most days i would prefer the stick if its snick snick.

I do feel like I have read where if it arrives as a wagon, AWD in more of them makes sense. On this i tend to agree.

this might be the car GM experiments with diesels on. Sure, why not.

I would say build the basic configs of the regal in oshawa and import the rare birds from russelheim. then we can have the sticks, and the diesels, and wagons and hopefully the coupes, hatches and stuff too.

Buick should be pleased that their ass is being saved by Opel and that they are getting spoon fed a couple new product lines for nothing to keep them from the reaper.

All CLX models are also just front-wheel drive (the upcoming performance-tuned "GS" will likely be fitted with all-wheel drive, but no manual transmission).

maybe a 'GNX' gets the stick.

Edited by regfootball

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.