NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Spy Shots: 2011 Opel Astra Sport Coupe

10 posts in this topic

Spy Shots: 2011 Opel Astra Sport Coupe

By Viknesh Vijayenthiran

Editor

June 1st, 2010

2011 Opel Astra Sport Coupe spy shotsGallery

The current generation Opel Astra made its debut in Europe back in May of 2009 and ever since its release there have been hopes that the car could eventually make its way to the U.S. as a Saturn or even a Buick. While the Saturn route is no longer possible, the new Astra will be arriving on local shores, although not in its current guise.

You see, the platform underpinning the car--GM's Delta architecture--is shared with the 2011 Chevrolet Cruze and will also underpin a new compact sedan from Buick.

Considering that a new coupe bodystyle has been engineered for the Delta platform, as seen here in these latest spy shots of the next-generation Opel Astra Sport Coupe, as well as the included computer-generated rendering, there’s a strong possibility that similar coupe variants of the local Cruze and Buick compact may also be developed.

As for the Opel Astra Sport Coupe, the new two-door is set to go on sale in Europe towards the end of the year and will come with a similar range of four-cylinder engines offered on the regular hatch. The Astra’s engine lineup in Europe is vast, consisting of four gasoline units and four turbodiesels that range in output from 94 to 178 horsepower.

Expect a world debut at the 2010 Paris Auto Show in October.

link:

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1045728_spy-shots-2011-opel-astra-sport-coupe

hyperv6    774

I like the concept with the Turbo engine. If this is as good as the other Opel cars it will make a fine Buick or Chevy here.

ocnblu    776

Man, the term "coupe" is being played around so fast and loose these days. That's no coupe. It's a 2-door hatchback, and nothing special to my eyes.

PONTIAC06    22

Man, the term "coupe" is being played around so fast and loose these days. That's no coupe. It's a 2-door hatchback.

My thought exactly...still a nice car, but it's no coupe...

regfootball    250

Man, the term "coupe" is being played around so fast and loose these days. That's no coupe. It's a 2-door hatchback, and nothing special to my eyes.

'3 door' :)

cire    2

I think it looks cool, but I thought the current Astra 3-door was nice looking too.

I know I shouldn't pigeonhole Buick, but I really have a hard time imagining this car in their lineup. I even tried looking at pictures of the recent Riviera Concept (which I love, by the way) for inspiration, but it still seems like quite a bit of a stretch for Buick.

I tried to do the same thing with the new gen Astra 5-door, but it still seems sort of out of step with Buick. I love the new gen Astra 5-door and think its overall design is much better than the sedan counterpart that Buick will be using as a base for its new compact sedan. I even tried imagining the 5-door with the front end treatment of the compact Buick sedan (I really dislike the Chinese version of the 5-door where they simply tried to squeeze the Buick grille into the existing grille opening), but it still seems somewhat awkward. The compact sedan is a better fit for Buick because it has a conservatively handsome overall appearance that just seems to gel well with Buick.

That being said, I think both hatchback variants are cool and I would love to see both of them here in the U.S. Maybe the Regal's success will open new doors to what many people (including myself) think is appropriate for Buick. I will say that even though I have a hard time imagining it, I would probably consider buying a Buickized version of the new gen Astra 5-door if they would give it the same Enclave/LaCrosse inspired front end as the sedan.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this