Ford Announces End of the Road for Mercury

Ford To Expand Lincoln Lineup And Brand Emphasis; Mercury Production Ends In Fourth Quarter Of 2010

• Ford is expanding its Lincoln lineup with seven all-new or significantly refreshed vehicles in the next four years – including its first-ever C-segment vehicle
  • Lincoln’s plan accelerates with more investment and attention on standout product design, class-leading technology and powertrains delivering top performance and fuel efficiency
  • Lincoln product development, marketing, sales and service resources expanding as the brand competes with Cadillac and Lexus in the marketplace
  • Ford will end production of Mercury vehicles in the fourth quarter of this year to fully devote its financial, product development, production and marketing, sales and service resources toward further growing its core Ford brand while enhancing Lincoln
  • Existing Mercury owners to receive continued access to parts and service support at Ford and Lincoln dealers; current Mercury vehicle warranties and Extended Service Plans will be honored; special offers available on new Mercury vehicles through the summer
  • Affected dealers to receive specialized support during the transition, as the company continues its transformation to a more profitable dealer network

DEARBORN, Mich., June 2, 2010 – Ford Motor Company will expand and enhance its Lincoln brand lineup with seven all-new or significantly refreshed vehicles in the next four years as part of an aggressive growth plan focused on standout product design, class-leading technology and new powertrains – all aimed at competing with Cadillac and Lexus in North America.

Ford also will end production of Mercury vehicles in the fourth quarter of this year to fully devote its financial, product development, production and marketing, sales and service resources toward further growing its core Ford brand while enhancing the Lincoln brand.

“We have made tremendous progress on profitably growing the Ford brand during the past few years. Now, it is time to do the same for Lincoln,” said Mark Fields, Ford’s president of The Americas. “The new Lincoln vehicles will transform luxury for North American premium customers through an unexpected blend of responsive driving enjoyment and warm, inviting comfort. We will also offer our customers a world-class retail experience through a vibrant retail network.”

Lincoln’s hallmarks will be refined, modern design, the most fuel-efficient premium powertrains and industry-leading technology that create a unique driver experience both in the cabin and on the road.

“Profitably growing Lincoln in North America is an important part of our One Ford plan,” said Alan Mulally, Ford president and CEO. “Our Ford brand is gaining momentum and winning customers around the world. Now, we are going to use the same laser focus to further strengthen Lincoln and deliver even more products luxury customers really want and value.”

Foundation Set

The future of Lincoln is building from a strong base that includes the all-new flagship MKS large sedan, the all-new MKT seven-passenger crossover and a significantly refreshed MKZ mid-size sedan – all now in showrooms. The hybrid version of the MKZ will reach showrooms later this year and is expected to be the most fuel efficient premium sedan on the market.

Lincoln’s product actions continue later this year with the debut of the significantly refreshed 2011 MKX crossover, the first vehicle to feature MyLincoln Touch driver connect technology.

This will be followed by another six all-new or significantly refreshed vehicles within four years developed with Lincoln’s DNA of standout design, precise and confident driving experience, class-leading technology and powertrains delivering top performance and fuel efficiency.

Lincoln will be led by expanded product development and marketing, sales and service teams to support the brand’s growth plan and ensure it has a strong cadence of distinct products that are well positioned in the market. Plans for Lincoln include:

• Lincoln’s first-ever C-segment vehicle
  • New Lincoln-exclusive powertrains, including an all-new V-6 engine and advanced fuel-efficient transmissions
  • EcoBoost engines available in all Lincolns – from the Navigator full-size SUV to the new C-segment Lincoln
  • Fuel economy leadership with each new vehicle – leading to Lincoln emerging as the most fuel-efficient luxury lineup on the market
  • More useful technology and features than any other competitor – with a special focus on comfort and convenience. New advanced features include: fully retractable glass roofs; adaptive computer-controlled suspensions; electronic, push-button gear-selectors; active noise control; and exclusive MyLincoln Touch driver connect technology

“Lincoln vehicles will reward drivers with smooth, effortless power complemented by agile handling and responsive steering,” said Derrick Kuzak, Ford’s group vice president, Global Product Development. “The cabin is a sanctuary with segment-leading quietness, genuine materials and intuitive, useful technology.”

Lincoln has started gaining traction with customers, as evidenced by market share gains during the past five years. Lincoln’s share of the retail U.S. luxury vehicle market has grown from 4.5 percent in 2005 to 6.3 percent through the first quarter of 2010.

In addition, Lincoln’s reputation with consumers has risen, with favorable opinion and purchase consideration reaching its highest level in the past five years. Lincoln’s long-term durability was second only to Porsche’s in the 2010 J.D. Power and Associates Vehicle Dependability Survey.

Mercury

Mercury originally was created as a premium offering to Ford and was an important source of incremental sales. However, the continued strength of the Ford brand – particularly during the past three years – has accelerated the migration from Mercury to Ford for many customers.

Today, Mercury’s customer profile, pricing and margins are almost identical to Ford, but Mercury’s incremental sales have been declining.

The majority of current Mercury sales are to fleet buyers and customers purchasing through employee, retiree and friends and family discounts, which Ford anticipates largely can be satisfied by Ford brand vehicles.

Of Ford Motor Company’s 16 percent market share in the U.S., Mercury accounts for 0.8 percentage points, a level that has been flat or declining for the past several years. That contrasts with the Ford brand, which has increased market share by 2.2 percentage points so far this year on the strength of new products and improved quality, fuel efficiency, safety, smart design and value.

Ford’s strengthening financial position – including the return to profitability and positive cash flow – allows the company to absorb short-term costs associated with the discontinuation of Mercury and to consolidate future product investments into Lincoln.

Today, there are no stand-alone Mercury dealerships in North America. Ford is working closely with dealers to maintain properly located stand-alone Lincoln or Ford-Lincoln dealers, which will offer dealers and the company the greatest opportunity for long-term profitable growth.

New operational standards developed with the company’s dealers will facilitate a Lincoln customer experience that exceeds the expectations of North American luxury customers.

Personal Attention

Ford will work closely with Mercury dealers and customers during the transition, including providing existing Mercury owners with continued access to parts and service support at Ford and Lincoln dealers and by honoring current warranties, including Ford’s Extended Service Plans.

“We are 100 percent committed to supporting Mercury owners through Ford and Lincoln dealerships and working hard to keep them as valued customers in the future,” Fields said. “At the same time, we will work closely with our dealers to phase out Mercury franchises and continue to build a healthy, growing Lincoln with strong new products and a profitable dealer network that delivers a world-class customer experience.”

Mercury owners will receive additional details in the coming days explaining the transition and assuring them that Ford and its dealers will continue to provide all necessary parts and service support for Mercury products.

Ford has notified Mercury dealers of the decision and provided details of a financial package that includes payment in exchange for resigning the franchise.

Ford today also informed dealers of special offers on new Mercury vehicles that will be available through the summer to support the sell down of current Mercury inventory and remaining Mercury vehicle production.

“We are taking decisive action and moving into the future with the right plan to deliver profitable growth for all stakeholders,” Fields said. “These moves position us to continue building momentum through strong brands, great products and an unwavering focus on the customer.”

Too bad.

The last of the brands that were aimed at the sweet spot I prefer is now dead. First Plymouth, then Pontiac, and now Mercury.

All three were starved to death by their parent companies.

We now have a near-complete dichotomy with luxury on one side, and basic transportation on the other.

I care for neither.

I guess this shift represents our populace these days, divided into two camps with no tolerance for middle ground.

• Agree 4

Too bad.

The last of the brands that were aimed at the sweet spot I prefer is now dead. First Plymouth, then Pontiac, and now Mercury.

We now have a near-complete dichotomy with luxury on one side, and basic transportation on the other.

The reality is that the 'mainstream' brands now cover a wide swath...I definitely wouldn't label vehicles such as a Mustang GT, Taurus Limited or SHO or Flex as 'basic transportation'. The Taurus Limited is what a Sable would have been in the past, for example. The middle ground has moved down into the mainstream brands (and somewhat up into the premium brands)...GM covers the mainstream with 2 brands now (Chevy and Buick), Ford will w/ one, Chrysler w/ one-- Dodge covers the lower end where Plymouth used to be plus the middle ground.

Basically, the Detroit 3 are moving towards the 2 track model (mainstream and premium) that has been successful for the Japanese Big 3.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Chicagoland, that market share decline was engineered by FoMoCo by starving the brand... it was largely orchestrated by the parent company at the expense of loyal customers and dealers. A ruthless, cold and calculated puppetmaster move.

And furthermore, the current Lincoln lineup sucks ass. Milquetoast at best with all of their latest entries.

Edited by ocnblu

Chicagoland, that market share decline was engineered by FoMoCo by starving the brand... it was largely orchestrated by the parent company at the expense of loyal customers and dealers. A ruthless, cold and calculated puppetmaster move.

And furthermore, the current Lincoln lineup sucks ass. Milquetoast at best with all of their latest entries.

True on all counts.

one-- Dodge covers the lower end where Plymouth used to be plus the middle ground.

Plymouth was NOT the middle ground. Dodge (and Desoto) was. In fact, in the beginning, Dodge was positioned higher than DeSoto, as well. Plymouth was always Chrysler's Chevrolet, high production, low cost, mainstream brand. It only stopped being mainstream when starved of product and when Plymouths and Dodges were identical in appearance, cost and features, roughly post 1984.

According to various sources (in retrospect), Daimler looked at its purchase of Chrysler and asked them "Why do these guys have 3 cheap, crappy, competing brands?!? (Dodge, Plymouth and Chrysler) " So, Daimler killed Plymouth because at the time, it had the fewest models and sales.

Plymouth was NOT the middle ground. Dodge (and Desoto) was. In fact, in the beginning, Dodge was positioned higher than DeSoto, as well. Plymouth was always Chrysler's Chevrolet, high production, low cost, mainstream brand. It only stopped being mainstream when starved of product and when Plymouths and Dodges were identical in appearance, cost and features, roughly post 1984.

According to various sources (in retrospect), Daimler looked at its purchase of Chrysler and asked them "Why do these guys have 3 cheap, crappy, competing brands?!? (Dodge, Plymouth and Chrysler) " So, Daimler killed Plymouth because at the time, it had the fewest models and sales.

While what you say about Plymouth is true as far as pricing goes, the brand had a knack for hitting the recipe I like in a car that Dodge often missed - so I include it in my list. A 'Cuda was far more interesting than a Challenger for example.

Also, the starvation by the parent is the key factor in all three cases. Otherwise, I would have mentioned Oldsmobile.

The current Lincoln lineup brings to mind a quote by the venerable Flybrian...

True on all counts.

See...even Camino has the good sense to agree with us!

Camino ~ >>"A 'Cuda was far more interesting than a Challenger for example."<<

A matter of grille/taillight preference, no? ;)

Not disagreeing.... I saw much validity in Plymouth prior to the '80s. Plymouth hit it's peak in the late '50s when it defied Corporate directive and did what it thought best, and the (streamlines) Fury upended the vaunted 300 at Daytona. The Corp soon clipped Plymouth's wings, and by '60, the Corporate Engine Hammer fell.

There definitely was something there in numerous models over time. I was quite shocked when Plymouth's discontinuance was announced, tho part of me expected it when the PT went to Chrysler.

Edited by balthazar

It is truly a sad day for automotive enthusiast who have grown up with the Mercury brand. Although I'm part of a very small demographic, I see the Grand Marquis as the best deal on the road today. A tough, old fashion V* RWD sedan that kept its buyers very happy for decades.

At the same time I feel the same way I feel about Oldsmobile and Pontiac. Mercury is a brand I love, but if the parent company does not have the money to do it right, and I don't think Ford does, then why continue to drag the brand through the mud behind the rest of the corporation? I don't think Ford intentionally tried to kill Mercury, just a few years ago when the Taurus/Fusion/Fiesta/etc were in development, Ford was in rough shape not unlike the GM of 2008/9. Ford made a strategic move to invest in their volume brand for the good of the corporation and to give the brands a fighting chance in years to come. This was made worse because like Plymouth/Dodge, Mercury no longer had any product that was unique. Out side of the Cougar of the late 1990's/early 00's Mercury has not had a unique product in 20 years and even that product (Capri) was crap.

When GM ran out of money for Pontiac they killed the brand with G5's and G3's that watered down the brands already damaged reputation for performance. Why would we want to see the same thing happen with Mercury over the next few years as FoMoCo struggled to find the cash to pay down their massive debt, redesign Ford and Lincoln vehicles, and compete in new markets? I don't see Ford as following the foreign competition into a two brand set-up, I see Ford as being smart and making a hard yet wise choice to continue investing in the two brands that have and will continue to turn the entire company around.

In short there is no way to slice this other than if Mercury can only get 0.8% of the new car market even with just a few models remaining yet Chrysler.....Chrysler the builders of the PT Crusier and Sebring can get more sales....hell even Audi outsold them and this is just one of many markets that Audi sells in and their cars sell at higher transaction prices.

Maybe its me, but I'm one Mercury fan that isn't sad to see this happen.

It is truly a sad day for automotive enthusiast who have grown up with the Mercury brand. Although I'm part of a very small demographic, I see the Grand Marquis as the best deal on the road today. A tough, old fashion V* RWD sedan that kept its buyers very happy for decades.

At the same time I feel the same way I feel about Oldsmobile and Pontiac. Mercury is a brand I love, but if the parent company does not have the money to do it right, and I don't think Ford does, then why continue to drag the brand through the mud behind the rest of the corporation? I don't think Ford intentionally tried to kill Mercury, just a few years ago when the Taurus/Fusion/Fiesta/etc were in development, Ford was in rough shape not unlike the GM of 2008/9. Ford made a strategic move to invest in their volume brand for the good of the corporation and to give the brands a fighting chance in years to come. This was made worse because like Plymouth/Dodge, Mercury no longer had any product that was unique. Out side of the Cougar of the late 1990's/early 00's Mercury has not had a unique product in 20 years and even that product (Capri) was crap.

When GM ran out of money for Pontiac they killed the brand with G5's and G3's that watered down the brands already damaged reputation for performance. Why would we want to see the same thing happen with Mercury over the next few years as FoMoCo struggled to find the cash to pay down their massive debt, redesign Ford and Lincoln vehicles, and compete in new markets? I don't see Ford as following the foreign competition into a two brand set-up, I see Ford as being smart and making a hard yet wise choice to continue investing in the two brands that have and will continue to turn the entire company around.

In short there is no way to slice this other than if Mercury can only get 0.8% of the new car market even with just a few models remaining yet Chrysler.....Chrysler the builders of the PT Crusier and Sebring can get more sales....hell even Audi outsold them and this is just one of many markets that Audi sells in and their cars sell at higher transaction prices.

Maybe its me, but I'm one Mercury fan that isn't sad to see this happen.

The neglect of the brand is decades-long, and like Plymouth, there was little left to even call a brand. So, this was, perhaps, inevitable. But the blame lies with the parent company in each case.

Pontiac's story is slightly different, like Olds there was still life in the brand if not money in the budget.

I've been down most of the day. This was not the news I was wanting to hear, especially after I had high hopes for a rejuvinated Mercury with Euro products.

Here's what I don't understand: Why in the hell is Lincoln wasting time with a C-segment vehicle? If you combine A3, 1-series & C30 sales for May, the premium C-segment market only sold 1,700 units. Lincoln would be so much better served with a legit 3-series or CTS competitor.

In 2000, had you told me that Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Saturn, Hummer, and Mercury would be gone within 10 years, I would have called you crazy. What odd times we live in.

^ But could you tell them apart in the dusk ? ;)

Aware of the (minor) wheelbase difference, but the cars were unquestionably twins all the same.

-- -- -- -- --

'stang84 ~ >>"In 2000, had you told me that Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Saturn, Hummer, and Mercury would be gone within 10 years, I would have called you crazy. What odd times we live in. "<<

Olds & Pontiac: agreed.

Edited by balthazar

Aware of the (minor) wheelbase difference, but the cars were unquestionably twins all the same.

I believe that I could...

Plymouth always had a bad-assedness that Dodge often failed to muster.

It was that attitude of going your own way that I admired in both Plymouth and Pontiac (and Mercury after a fashion) that I lament today rather than the Milan and Mountaineer etc.

Keep in mind that the mainstream brands have grown much much larger these days.

Back in the 50's most brands would consist of a "large" and a "small" with multiple body styles of each... occasionally a sports car like the Corvette or Thunderbird would be thrown in as a halo. In the 60's, most brands added a "New Smaller" below the previous "small" with then became "medium". Wash, Rinse, Repeat for the '70s, '80s, and '90s.

For example, in 1955, you could buy an Oldsmobile from the 88 line or 98 line.... and that was it. By the early 60's Oldsmobile added the F85/Cutlass and Toronado lineups. In the 1970's brought two new compacts. The '80s saw the addition of multiple FWD mid-sizers. The '90s saw the addition of a mini-van and an SUV. By 1996, Oldsmobile was fielding more nameplates (10) than there were available body styles in 1956. (8) Mercury followed a remarkably similar path.

In order to keep the number of brands that we had in the past, we'd need to knock every brand down to just two cars with multiple body styles and have them all (with the exception of the high lux) sold under one roof. But it costs a lot of money to do that for advertising and making sure the brands each have their own DNA... at least visually.

But also, we'd have to stop caring about market share completely.... which just isn't going to happen in this world.

While what you say about Plymouth is true as far as pricing goes, the brand had a knack for hitting the recipe I like in a car that Dodge often missed - so I include it in my list. A 'Cuda was far more interesting than a Challenger for example.

I wasn't trying to single out anybody, just point out that it wasn't a midrange brand, as you ware not the only one to group it in there... and this is not the only thread where Plymouth's position in the food chain has been incorrectly placed. The same thing goes for people who transpose Buick and Olds places in the GM hierarchy.

That said, I preferred many of Plymouth's designs... most notable, the Cuda over the Challenger and the Road Runner over the Charger. Same goes for Mercury... I usually preferred the Cougar or (2nd gen) Capri design over the Ford version... even on the crappy designs (Sable vs. Taurus, Topaz vs Tempo).

In 2000, had you told me that Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Saturn, Hummer, and Mercury would be gone within 10 years, I would have called you crazy. What odd times we live in.

I would have believed Mercury. To be honest, I'm surprised it outlived the rest, even if by months. Mercury's demise has been rumored since the early '90s.

And in 2010 when we say Buick, GMC, Opel, Chrysler and Dodge will be goners, we're just as crazy, I suppose. See ya in 2020. ;-)

Of course, depending on your feelings about Dec 21, 2012, even Chevy, Ford, Mercedes and Toyota might be gone by 2013... but we wouldn't be here to gloat. LOL.

Just to pick nits, I didn't actually name Plymouth as a midrange brand.

I know where it was placed within Chryco, though it sometimes acted as though it was above Dodge. Things were a bit more clear cut within GM.

At any rate, these are generic times. Brands with individuality appear to be out of fashion.

I hate fashion.

I wasn't trying to single out anybody, just point out that it wasn't a midrange brand, as you ware not the only one to group it in there... and this is not the only thread where Plymouth's position in the food chain has been incorrectly placed. The same thing goes for people who transpose Buick and Olds places in the GM hierarchy.

I never said Plymouth was the midrange brand. It was Plymouth then Dodge then Chrysler. Go back and read what I posted.

I believe that I could...

Plymouth always had a bad-assedness that Dodge often failed to muster.

Plymouth hadn't had any 'bad-assedness' since the early '70s. Dodge was equally 'bad ass' during the muscle car era.

Of course, the sheetmetal was completely different...the '70-74 Barracuda/Cuda and Challenger shared the E-platform, but were not badge engineered. Much more different from each other styling-wise than the same era Camaro and Firebird, were, for example.

You think &#036;h&#33;boxes like the Volare, Aries, Sundance, Breeze, etc were 'badass'?

Of course not.

However, the 'Cuda and Roadrunner were. Plymouth once made performance on a budget their mantra and the cars looked the part. The Dodges didn't always pull that off so well.

Don't get me wrong, there are some Dodges of that era I can go for - it's just that Plymouth often got the recipe just right.

Just to pick nits, I didn't actually name Plymouth as a midrange brand.

But you grouped it with Pontiac and Mercury (both clearly midrange) and later mentioned that there was no tolerance for the middle ground. Reading between the lines one can get the wrong idea.

I never said Plymouth was the midrange brand. It was Plymouth then Dodge then Chrysler. Go back and read what I posted.

I must've misread it the first time. Did you rephrase it after the edit and I got a stale copy? I dunno... losing my mind, I guess.

For both of you, the prosecution withdrawn.

I must've misread it the first time. Did you rephrase it after the edit and I got a stale copy? I dunno... losing my mind, I guess.

No edit..I wrote 'Dodge covers the lower end where Plymouth used to be plus the middle ground'. Pretty clear.

Of course not.

However, the 'Cuda and Roadrunner were. Plymouth once made performance on a budget their mantra and the cars looked the part. The Dodges didn't always pull that off so well.

Don't get me wrong, there are some Dodges of that era I can go for - it's just that Plymouth often got the recipe just right.

They always seemed interchangeable to me...same drivetrains across both brands, often the same interior designs, just interior trim differences and subtle exterior differences...Road Runner vs Super Bee, GTX vs Coronet R/T (& Charger R/T), 'Cuda vs Dart GTS , 'Cuda vs Challenger R/T, Duster vs Demon..(with the '60s A- and E- bodies being the most differentiated). There were some pretty incredible cars from Dodge and Plymouth from the mid '60s to early '70s.

Not to be nostalgic, but sometimes I wouldn't mind being 20 years older (like my brother is) so I could have experienced the cars (and music) of that era when it was new...

But you grouped it with Pontiac and Mercury (both clearly midrange) and later mentioned that there was no tolerance for the middle ground. Reading between the lines one can get the wrong idea.

No worries.

I did make an implication that might lead to the conclusion you reached, but it was more directed at society in general.

Suffice it to say that prcing was a minor factor in my affinity for those brands.

There were some pretty incredible cars from Dodge and Plymouth from the mid '60s to early '70s.

On this bit we agree completely!

The Big Three gave up the luxury of selling many different cars with many different models when they lost 50% of the US new car market as well as market share in Canada and other markets.

I'm currently reading Alfred Sloan's "My Years with General Motors", the Detroit companies are in a very similar position to GM in the late teens and early twenties and this is how they are going to fix the problem. If a division can nolonger benefit the corporation then what is the purpose? Mercury had no stand alone dealers, did not exist outside the US, had carbon copy models for 40 years, and had no brand image. Even Pontiac and Oldsmobile had something of a tattered image left when they were discontinued, Mercury like Plymouth was a exercise in badge engineering for the majority of its life. Just take a look at the sales figures from FoMOCo this month and see how Lincoln-Mercury is the weak part of the chain. Ford is doing very well and both Ford cars and trucks are doing well in consumer perception but Lincoln still struggles to compete with Cadillac, Audi, Acura, etc dispute recent attempts to build the brand. Mercury is simply lost between Eco-boosted Taurus SHOs and Hybrid MKZs.

I'm curious to hear what Lincoln-Mercury dealers think about this and to see what products Lincoln has in the pipeline following the MKX. I think the MKZ-Hybrid will do well because it will nolonger have to compete with the Milan Hybrid. I also see Lincoln becoming slightly sporty like many had wished for Mercury. If this move turns out to be a major win for Lincoln then this may have been the best move Ford has made since not taking government funds.

Too bad.

I care for neither.

I guess this shift represents our populace these days, divided into two camps with no tolerance for middle ground.

I'd say the answer is the Hyundai Genesis. Rear drive, V8, $33-42,000, full size interior. There is still the Chrysler 300, but that is a rather dated car with a uncompetitive interior. Other than that, the Americans are quickly giving up on rear drive and V8s. The in between brands are quickly dying, but when a Taurus is $27-40k, and a Lincoln or Cadillac can be had for $35k, there isn't much room in the middle.

I don't believe Mercury will be missed that much, they don't have a big market presence, don't have a passionate customer base, and the same product is on sale at the Ford lot across the street, just with a horizontal grille.

They stressed that Lincoln will have "fuel efficient powertrains" I interpret that as underpowered. A Prius has an extremely fuel efficient powertrain, that is about the last car in the world I'd want, aside from one of those electric G-Wiz things. "Fuel efficient" almost always means slow and underpowered. Strap the 5.0 V8 in an rear drive Lincoln sedan and they could be on to something. And why not Ecoboost the V8.

i like mercury, but it really needed a new sable to continue.

i kind of wish they would continue the milan and mariner another year. i like the grille and interior differences.

if Pontiac is gone, then i guess mercury gone isn't so hard for me either.

wouldn't it just be nicer if most of the other Asian brands would go away so we could bring back Olds, Pontiac, Mercury?

i like mercury, but it really needed a new sable to continue.

i kind of wish they would continue the milan and mariner another year. i like the grille and interior differences.

if Pontiac is gone, then i guess mercury gone isn't so hard for me either.

wouldn't it just be nicer if most of the other Asian brands would go away so we could bring back Olds, Pontiac, Mercury?

It sure would.

Hopefully whatever the C-segment Lincoln turns out to be, it will have totally unique metal and trim and not just a Focus w/ Lincoln grille and taillights. The line about an Ecoboost engine is the Navigator is interesting...Ford hasn't done a RWD/AWD Ecoboost model yet. I'm assuming the Navigator (and Expedition) will remain BOF, RWD/AWD SUVs--Ford and Lincoln already have plenty of FWD/AWD CUVs.

There are no more middle class car or middle car brands anymore. Your choices are now limited. These are your American car brands you can now purchase:

Chrysler:

Dodge or Chrysler or Jeep or Ram( truck brand)

Ford:

Ford or Lincoln

GM:

Chevrolet or Buick or Cadillac and GMC truck

Then if you just list the car brands and remove the truck and suv brands:

Dodge, Chrysler

Ford, Lincoln

Chevrolet, Buick, Cadillac

The Big Three gave up the luxury of selling many different cars with many different models when they lost 50% of the US new car market as well as market share in Canada and other markets.

THIS, completely. And sadly.

Well, that is just the way it is...I'm not sure if the automakers are completely to blame or if the market is to blame...'mainstream' or entry brands have moved upscale, premium brands have moved downscale, crowding out the increasingly redundant middle.

Buyers want premium content in their mainstream models..the market for stripper basic models isn't there anymore..thus, the mainstream brands have broad ranges of trim within their models, overlapping where the middle brands previously were. With loaded models like the Taurus Limited available (and pushing into MKs pricing), what's the point in a Sable? Likewise at GM, with the Regal coming, what's the point of Pontiac and Saturn between it and the Malibu? No room.

In recent years, other than the Solstice, G8 and Sky, what did Pontiac (or Saturn) offer that Chevy and Buick didn't? Nothing. What did Mercury offer that Ford didn't have? Nothing.

In recent years, other than the Solstice, G8 and Sky, what did Pontiac (or Saturn) offer that Chevy and Buick didn't? Nothing.

G6 coupe and convertible. And the Vibe! (*shutter*)

So, lets flip this...

Other than the ____, what did GMC have that Chevy and Cadillac didn't?

Other than the ____, What did pre-2010 Buick have that Chevy and Cadillac didn't?

In these cases, there is nothing to even put in the blanks!

G6 coupe and convertible. And the Vibe! (*shutter*)

True..I was thinking the G6 and Aura as equivalent to the Malibu--FWD midsize sedans w/ 4 and V6 versions..the coupe and convertible seemed to be barely on the radar. Forgot the forgettable Vibe.

That certainly lays it out in stark fashion, 98.

I remember when people used to say hateful things about getting over Oldsmobile all over the internet. Well they kept killing brands. Then it hit home when other people's brands were killed. Then the market share for the imports kept increasing. Volkswagen is buying up everything they see in their quest to be number one, Toyota who was untouchable falters, and Hyundai has become the shining star.

Here is the scary part. Back in the day the GM brands had fewer models and sold more cars. Do you realize Lincoln had three cars and sold more cars than they have now with the fleet they have. Fords are now overlapping with Lincolns in price and I read where a Lincoln executive said he cannot advertise the Lincoln MKS like he needs to as a luxury car because Ford is comparing the Ford Taurus SHO to Audi.

I think the thing is none of the American car companies knows how to market or manage their brands. All of them have rich history and do not use it. It sometimes seems like they have conceded the fight to the imports.

Why does every car have to be import in appearance in performance and in ride and in the size? People want American cars that look, act, and drive and feel American.

I guess it comes down to marketing, money and the globalization and the times we live in. Just like the middle class got the squeeze so it happened in the car market. I remember when I used to look forward to the new cars. You got exciting to see what the next model was like.

You can also predict it now:

four cylinder engine maybe a V6

seats five people

has bucket seats

rides like Euro sports sedan

looks European or Asian

between 186-194 inches long

front wheel drive

They have become predictable appliances. It just seems people do not care about cars or have the passion anymore. It was obvious Mercury was starved. As much as I am fan of the Grand Marquis, they kept making it look uglier and cheaper recently. It was like they did it on purpose.

Look at this:

1988 Grand Marquis:

2009 Mercury Grand Marquis:

Notice it looks stripped and not as luxurious as the 1988 even though it is a loaded LS?

I've been down most of the day. This was not the news I was wanting to hear, especially after I had high hopes for a rejuvinated Mercury with Euro products.

Why on earth would anyone expect Mercury to get Euro products?

Ford is going to sell the same Fiesta, Focus, and Mondeo/Fusion in Europe and in North America.