Ford Announces End of the Road for Mercury

Well, that is just the way it is...I'm not sure if the automakers are completely to blame or if the market is to blame...'mainstream' or entry brands have moved upscale, premium brands have moved downscale, crowding out the increasingly redundant middle.

Buyers want premium content in their mainstream models..the market for stripper basic models isn't there anymore..thus, the mainstream brands have broad ranges of trim within their models, overlapping where the middle brands previously were. With loaded models like the Taurus Limited available (and pushing into MKs pricing), what's the point in a Sable?

Basic brands moving upscale may have its roots in the 1965 LTD and Caprice, maybe even earlier with the first Impalas and Galaxie 500's of the late 1950's.

Why on earth would anyone expect Mercury to get Euro products?

Ford is going to sell the same Fiesta, Focus, and Mondeo/Fusion in Europe and in North America.

The thought was that Mercury would get some of the less mainstream models that would never sell in high volumes in the U.S. in the first place. Mark them up a bit and make them "premium". Things like the Focus Cabrio, Kuga, C-max, S-max, and Galaxy,

• Agree 1

Why on earth would anyone expect Mercury to get Euro products?

Ford is going to sell the same Fiesta, Focus, and Mondeo/Fusion in Europe and in North America.

Because Ford had been signaling in recent years that this was the plan; Euro Fords were considered to be too expensive to import, hence giving them to Mercury and justifying the "premium" market positioning.

• Agree 1

I would guess that Ford would have gone through with that strategy if Saturn's attempt hadn't failed miserably...

Saturn's attempt? What, you mean bringing the outgoing Astra to the States as a new model, a badge-engineered version of the Opel GT/Pontiac Solstice (not enough segment room for two from the same company), and an Antara/VUE released just months prior to the shutter? I don't really recall a real attempt to bring actual Euro vehicles to the US via Saturn, since promises and IOUs don't count in the real world.

I mean, I know what Ford is trying to do; they are trying to unify the global Ford brand. The problem that I see, however, is that the Ford brand will now house such a wide market, from very upscale Tauruses and F-150s to such tiny, entry-level vehicles as Fiestas and Focuses. Ford has their work cut out for them if they want to keep and attract both budget and mainstream premium buyers in the brand, while it would have been IMO a whole hell of a lot easier to bring the premium entries to Mercury.

Ford just didn't differentiate Ford brand and Mercury; the only differences were cosmetic. Had the Mercury companions featured some exclusive options, different tuning, different engines, and a higher base price, then I think it could have worked. Thing is, when you have two brands selling identical vehicles with identical prices, buyers go to the brand with more advertising and dealership ubiquity.

I wish Ford the best, but I think they've made the wrong call here and have wasted a potentially lucrative opportunity with the Mercury brand. Having no image is far different than having to rehabilitate a poor image, and Ford could have done whatever it wanted to Mercury to establish it as a brand with a new market position that filled whatever product gap the company perceives it needs to fill.

• Agree 1

I mean, I know what Ford is trying to do; they are trying to unify the global Ford brand. The problem that I see, however, is that the Ford brand will now house such a wide market, from very upscale Tauruses and F-150s to such tiny, entry-level vehicles as Fiestas and Focuses.

I really think they are trying to emulate the successful Toyota model--their wide mainstream US range goes from the tiny entry-level Yaris and Corolla to the upscale Avalon, with full size and compact trucks, minivan, etc in the mix. Lincoln is in the Lexus role, but at the lower price ranges. Will it work for Ford?

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

I really think they are trying to emulate the successful Toyota model--their wide mainstream US range goes from the tiny entry-level Yaris and Corolla to the upscale Avalon, with full size and compact trucks, minivan, etc in the mix. Lincoln is in the Lexus role, but at the lower price ranges. Will it work for Ford?

Unfortunately Toyota model is not the best model. Single product for one segment strategy is not ideal. That is the reason why the Germans are making X5,6, 7, 8 and 9 on the same platform to make people "feel" different and important. Brands can achieve the same thing for the same vehicle dressed in different fashion.

• Agree 2

Unfortunately Toyota model is not the best model. Single product for one segment strategy is not ideal. That is the reason why the Germans are making X5,6, 7, 8 and 9 on the same platform to make people "feel" different and important. Brands can achieve the same thing for the same vehicle dressed in different fashion.

Hard to argue against the Toyota model, though. Look at their US sales #s, profits, and market share over the last decade(recent recall issues not withstanding).

Not that I'm in favor of Toyota, but it's hard to argue w/ their success. Clearly, Ford has their sights on them w/ the goal of beating them in the NA market.

And Ford is doing plenty of model proliferation on platforms--Edge, MKX, Fusion, MKZ on the same platform, and Flex, Explorer, Taurus, MKs, MKT on the same platform...the NG Focus is supposed to have many variations worldwide.

The two wildcards of interest to me remain their last RWD models--the Mustang and the Aussie Falcon. With the end of the Panther, are RWD sedans done for in NA from Ford?

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

I mean, I know what Ford is trying to do; they are trying to unify the global Ford brand. The problem that I see, however, is that the Ford brand will now house such a wide market, from very upscale Tauruses and F-150s to such tiny, entry-level vehicles as Fiestas and Focuses.

They do that quite well here in Europe, and the only reason they stop at the Mondeo size class is that there wouldn't be a market for a Taurus over here.

I think Lincoln should be expanded to be a full line premium make. Lincoln should cover the compact premium segments and extend all the way through the fullsize premium segments. That being said, I think Mercury still had the potential to be effectively recast in a different role as a sporty and stylish niche brand.

If reports from Auto Express are true (which I fully understand could be "questionable" at best), Mercury could have become FoMoCo's Scion with the four products listed below. In fact, FoMoCo could have shown Toyota how to properly create a youth niche division with the 4 products listed below, since I truly believe they would have resonated much better with younger buyers than Scion's awkward offerings (the only Scion product that I see younger people driving is the tC; I usually see more "mature" drivers behind the wheel of xBs and xDs, when I see them at all). Since Mercury didn't have any image or identity left in the market, it shouldn't have been very difficult to recast it in a different role. All it would have required is choosing the appropriate foreign market Ford products with the right amount of "cool appeal" and a little marketing magic.

Mercury's lineup could have consisted of the following products:

* Verve: Subcompact 3-door liftback coupe built on Ford's B-platform. This car would be a spiritual successor to the Euro Ford Puma and be sold as the Ford Verve in Europe. The Verve would be much sportier in styling and feel than Ford's Fiesta line. Link: Auto Express: Future Ford Puma, Source: Auto Express.

* Capri: Compact 3-door liftback coupe built on Ford's C-platform. This car would be a VW Scirocco competitor and would be much sportier in styling and feel than Ford's Focus line. It would be sold as the Ford Capri in Europe. Link: Auto Express: Future Ford Capri, Source: Auto Express.

* Milan: Midsize 5-door liftback "coupe" built on Ford's EUCD-platform. This car would be FoMoCo's entry in the "4-door coupe" segment and serve as a competitor to the VW Passat CC. It would be sold as the Ford Scorpio in Europe and would be much sportier in styling and feel than Ford's Mondeo line. Link: Auto Express: Future Ford Mondeo Coupe, Source: Auto Express.

* Regatta: Compact utility coupe built on Ford's C-platform. This vehicle would be a 3-door liftback coupe variant of the next gen Ford Kuga. It would be sportier in styling and feel than the next gen 5-door Kuga CUV (which would align with the next gen Ford Escape in the U.S. market) and would be sold as the Ford Regatta in Europe. Link: Auto Express: Future Ford Kuga Coupe, Source: Auto Express.

The waterfall grille would go away. FoMoCo would simply apply the Mercury badge in the same places that the Ford badge resides on Euro versions of these vehicles (which would eliminate the expense of restyling the front end to incorporate a waterfall grille; I think that style of grille would look inappropriate on the types of products listed above anyway). The bodystyles and styling would set these vehicles apart from the Ford brand's more mainstream offerings in the U.S. (which would actually be a pleasant change from altering the front and rear styling and calling it a day). Satin nickel accents (which have come to sort of be a Mercury hallmark, at least to those who appreciate the brand) could be applied to the front and rear of the exterior to highlight some sculpturing details and further differentiate Mercury's products from Ford brand products.

If this strategy would have been implemented, FoMoCo would have had a strong high volume, high profile mainstream brand in Ford, a strong full line premium brand in Lincoln, and an incredible youth oriented brand in Mercury that would have blown Toyota's lame Scion brand out of the water.

Oh well, Mercury will soon be departing and the dream will be dead. It will be interesting to see what FoMoCo will do to strengthen Lincoln. I hope they invest more effort in working on Lincoln than they did in the neglected Mercury brand. So long Mercury...

• Agree 1

If this strategy would have been implemented, FoMoCo would have had a strong high volume, high profile mainstream brand in Ford, a strong full line premium brand in Lincoln, and an incredible youth oriented brand in Mercury that would have blown Toyota's lame Scion brand out of the water.

Mercury is the Grand Marquis division, and I don't think it could ever have been made into a youth oriented brand.

Ford to kill off Mercury after 72 years

Going gone: Ford's Mercury brand is set to fold, taking cars such as the Mercury Milan Hybrid with it.

Mercury to be axed by Ford as it gets set to expand Lincoln with first small car

4 June 2010

By TERRY MARTIN

THE Ford Motor Co has confirmed it will discontinue its Mercury brand after more than seven decades as a premium offering for the Blue Oval, consigning it to automotive history to join other defunct Detroit brands such as Pontiac, Oldsmobile and Saturn.

The American auto giant said its decision to end production in the final quarter of 2010 was based on a sustained sales downturn for Mercury, which now accounts for just 0.8 per cent of Ford’s 16 per cent share in the US.

It also said Mercury’s customer profile, pricing and margins were now almost identical to Ford.

In contrast, the Ford brand’s share has improved 2.2 percentage points in 2010 as a result of new products and “improved quality, fuel efficiency, safety, smart design and value”.

As a result, the company will throw more resources into the Ford brand and expand its luxury brand Lincoln with seven all-new or upgraded models over the next four years, including its first-ever small car.

Ford’s group vice-president of global product development Derrick Kuzak said the C-segment car would be based on the same architecture as the new-generation Ford Focus due in 2011, although it would have design and engineering attributes specific to Lincoln.

The confirmation that Lincoln would produce a small car comes almost two-and-a-half years after it presented the Lincoln C (for C-segment) concept car at the Detroit motor show in January 2009.

The aim is for Lincoln to be on an equal footing with Cadillac and Lexus in North America, with its share of the US luxury vehicle market continuing to grow. At the end of the first quarter of 2010, Lincoln held a 6.3 per cent share, up from 4.5 per cent in 2005.

To do this, Ford plans for Lincoln to offer advanced design and showcase its latest hi-tech and engineering achievements, including adaptive computer-controlled suspension, electronic push-button gear selectors, active noise control, fully retractable glass roofs and ‘MyLincoln Touch’ driver connect technology.

The latter will debut later this year with the updated 2011 MKX crossover, which will join recent showroom arrivals including the redesigned MKS large sedan and MKT seven-seat SUV, and a facelifted MKZ medium-sized sedan.

A hybrid version of the MKZ is also due in the final quarter, and Ford is already proclaiming it as “the most fuel-efficient luxury sedan in America”.

Lincoln will also receive new powertrains, including an all-new V6 engine and “advanced fuel-efficient transmissions”. EcoBoost engines will be available across its model range, and Ford is determined that Lincoln will emerge as “the most fuel-efficient luxury line-up on the market”.

More than 1700 dealerships will now begin to wind down their Mercury operations, although none of these are standalone retail outlets. Most are combined with both Ford and Lincoln franchises, although those that are combined only with Lincoln might be forced to consolidate with a Ford dealership.

Ford president and chief executive Alan Mulally said the company’s strengthening financial position – including the return to profitability and positive cash flow – allowed it to absorb short-term costs associated with the discontinuation of Mercury and to consolidate future product investments into Lincoln.

“Profitably growing Lincoln in North America is an important part of our One Ford plan,” said Mr Mulally. “Our Ford brand is gaining momentum and winning customers around the world.

“Now, we are going to use the same laser focus to further strengthen Lincoln and deliver even more products luxury customers really want and value.”

Ford claims that the continued strength of its own brand, particularly during the past three years, had accelerated the migration from Mercury to Ford “for many customers”.

It said most Mercury sales were to fleet buyers and customers purchasing through employee, retiree and friends and family discounts, which it anticipates “can be satisfied by Ford brand vehicles”.

Warranties and extended service plans for Mercury owners will be honoured, and run-out deals have already begun to shift cars from showrooms.

Ford’s president of The Americas Mark Fields said the company was “100 per cent committed to supporting Mercury owners through Ford and Lincoln dealerships and working hard to keep them as valued customers in the future”.

“At the same time, we will work closely with our dealers to phase out Mercury franchises and continue to build a healthy, growing Lincoln with strong new products and a profitable dealer network that delivers a world-class customer experience,” he said.

“We are taking decisive action and moving into the future with the right plan to deliver profitable growth for all stakeholders. These moves position us to continue building momentum through strong brands, great products and an unwavering focus on the customer.”

Mr Fields added that the time had come for the company to profitability grow the Lincoln brand as it had done with Ford.

“The new Lincoln vehicles will transform luxury for North American premium customers through an unexpected blend of responsive driving enjoyment and warm, inviting comfort,” he said.

“We will also offer our customers a world-class retail experience through a vibrant retail network.”

Mercury was established in 1938 and its first model, the Mercury 8 – complete with a 95hp V8 engine – went into production that same year. It retailed for $US916 and Ford sold more than 65,000 of them in its first year.

The height of Mercury’s success came in 1953 – three years after Ford had produced its millionth car under the brand – when it held a five per cent share of the US market.

link:

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/3F5D6D5728A73B74CA25773800191A27

Chrysler is supposed to be coming out with a new V6 engine, to be introduced gradually in most of their present V6 models, that they say will give 25% better mileage. Chrysler plans to introduce it next year (I think in their Jeep models first.) It is going to take improvements like this for them to seriously take on Ford and GM, let alone the foreign competition. I don't know what power this new engine will have.

Chrysler is supposed to be coming out with a new V6 engine, to be introduced gradually in most of their present V6 models, that they say will give 25% better mileage. Chrysler plans to introduce it next year (I think in their Jeep models first.) It is going to take improvements like this for them to seriously take on Ford and GM, let alone the foreign competition. I don't know what power this new engine will have.

From Allpar:

Power ratings for the Jeep Grand Cherokee will be at least 280 horsepower (209 kW) [a later release showed 290 hp] and 260 lb.-ft. of torque (353 N•m) @ 4,800 rpm

phoenix-engines.jpg

Maybe it is me and then again maybe it is just the fact that I feel what ever work is done on an auto should be done at the best capable level which does not always mean the most profitable.

QUESTION: Does that V^ look like a Plasticy POS or what?????

To me it looks very cheaply made. It looks like a union lazy built engine of the 80's. By now with all the new technology, I expect the molds to be far better looking than the plasticy looking air inductino system. Then again everything FIAT has made has always looked cheap and disposable in my book.

Not thrilled with the engine look at all.

Maybe it is me and then again maybe it is just the fact that I feel what ever work is done on an auto should be done at the best capable level which does not always mean the most profitable.

QUESTION: Does that V^ look like a Plasticy POS or what?????

To me it looks very cheaply made. It looks like a union lazy built engine of the 80's. By now with all the new technology, I expect the molds to be far better looking than the plasticy looking air inductino system. Then again everything FIAT has made has always looked cheap and disposable in my book.

Not thrilled with the engine look at all.

I think Fiat has had very little to do with the Phoenix/Pentastar V6 so far, this has been developed over the last few years..the induction system looks like a typical late model engine. Nothing to see on most modern vehicles under the hood.

Mercury is the Grand Marquis division, and I don't think it could ever have been made into a youth oriented brand.

I'm not so sure about that. When I see a Milan or Mariner out and about, it is usually piloted by a younger woman. I do agree that there are some people who still view Mercury as the Grand Marquis division, but I do think the brand was starting to resonate with younger female buyers who viewed Mercury as more fashionable than Ford (no matter how superficial the differences were to Ford products). That's why I suggested the strategy about transforming it into a youth division. I think most of the products in that strategy would have expanded the brand's appeal to younger female buyers. Since Mercury seemed to be headed in that direction already, why not completely dedicate the brand to this mission? All it would have required is installing the Mercury badge on the proper foreign market Ford products (assuming those products were actually being developed) and giving the division a little marketing push in the right direction.

Ford could have made Mercury something special with a little creativity but instead they KILL IT??---Stupid!! I am SICK of long standing American brands dieing while useless ones like the silly Acura remain!!

Ford could have made Mercury something special with a little creativity but instead they KILL IT??---Stupid!! I am SICK of long standing American brands dieing while useless ones like the silly Acura remain!!

They were saying the same exact thing online last night on Autoline After Hours. They said Acura and Infiniti have not lived up to their potential. They are stuck in the middle of nowhere. They said Honda instead of making Acura upscale and coming up with true rear drive luxury cars, and a true flagship sedan basically was trying to hold on to the Honda buyers after they were ready to move up out of their Honda phase. They simply have dressed up Hondas instead of changing the Acura totally. They said the same of Infiniti too. They called them dressed up Nissans.

They said what happened was Acura started with good intentions, and did not follow through. They said Honda has lost its mojo it once had. They have become complacent and afraid. They have not taken any chances. They said that Acura and Infinti have to step up or step out.

They said what happened in this country is the distinction between mass market brands and luxury brands has been lost due to luxury car makers building small cars, and mass market brands doing what Hyundai is doing with the Genesis.

They said there is a middle market in this country, but no car maker has figured out to say this is what we are and grow the segment. They said Buick and GMC are in an interesting position. Buick has two issues. It no matter what it has done still has a stigma attached to it as the old persons car. They said while LaCrosse and Regal are nice, they have done nothing to move the needle. They said Buick Regal was not a true Buick, but an Opel made into a Buick. This tells you nothing about the Buick brand or where it is headed. They said LaCrosse while nice is still not a full on premium luxury sedan. They said Buick needs a true flagship car. A Riviera or a Park Avenue. They said that on the other side Buick now is starting to turn Chevrolet Premium.

They said Buick in China is different from Buick North America. They feel that Buick is seen as a status car brand in China, but it has no association with that here. They said GM is in a dilemma. They could cut into two brands Chevrolet and Cadillac, but they would lose volume and sales. They said there many people out there who will not buy a Cadillac or Chevrolet. There are people with money who do not want to display their wealth. Buying Cadillac is not an option. They said GMC makes money, but they need cars to offset the trucks. Because Buick is in China, that is the only reason they still exist and they sell cars. They said really there is no reason for Buick to exist in the United States other than the Chinese connection.

They said even GM does not know what Buick stands for. Buick does not have a clear mission or focus. There is no cohesiveness with the new models.

In GM's case they said in reality, it makes sense to cut GM to Chevrolet and Cadillac. On paper financially when you see the real facts and figures it does not add up or make sense. In GM's position, it would hurt them to cut any more brands. It would not be a good thing for anyone to cut anymore brands.

They said with GMC, they serve a purpose. When they looked a buyers of trucks, the GMC buyers did not list Chevrolet Silverado as the next choice. It was a fully loaded Ford F-150 or fully loaded Dodge Ram after that. Silverado was not even on their list.

They talked about Mercury. What happened with Mercury is they were starved without products and updates. They said the issue there at Ford is can you get people to step up from Ford to Lincoln?

Lincoln is not a tier one luxury brand like it once was. While it is trying to do the Acura thing, that is not where they should be. They need to find a luxury niche and go head on with BMW and Cadillac etc. They said the current Lincolns look like gussied up Fords. This is what they are. While the MKS is nice, it breaks no new ground, and Lincoln needs rear drive cars. They need a new flagship contemporary Lincoln Town Car type car. They said the new look is not working. They said Lincoln has so much history they could work with. Lincoln has to get some direction. They said Lincoln dealers are going to have a hard time because there is no feeder brand.

The real issue is how to you market a middle brand? They said the carmakers are caught up with trying to be everything to everyone.

They said brands should focus on niches and grow the brands globally serving a niche than trying to cover every brand with every segment.

They said another issue is the definition of what premium is and what it should be is not clear.

That is what they said. Those are NOT my comments.

My opinion is there is room from middle brands and GM and Ford should have kept Mercury, Pontiac, and Oldsmobile and focused them.

They were saying the same exact thing online last night on Autoline After Hours. They said Acura and Infiniti have not lived up to their potential. They are stuck in the middle of nowhere. They said Honda instead of making Acura upscale and coming up with true rear drive luxury cars, and a true flagship sedan basically was trying to hold on to the Honda buyers after they were ready to move up out of their Honda phase. They simply have dressed up Hondas instead of changing the Acura totally. They said the same of Infiniti too. They called them dressed up Nissans.

They said what happened was Acura started with good intentions, and did not follow through. They said Honda has lost its mojo it once had. They have become complacent and afraid. They have not taken any chances. They said that Acura and Infinti have to step up or step out.

They said what happened in this country is the distinction between mass market brands and luxury brands has been lost due to luxury car makers building small cars, and mass market brands doing what Hyundai is doing with the Genesis.

They said there is a middle market in this country, but no car maker has figured out to say this is what we are and grow the segment. They said Buick and GMC are in an interesting position. Buick has two issues. It no matter what it has done still has a stigma attached to it as the old persons car. They said while LaCrosse and Regal are nice, they have done nothing to move the needle. They said Buick Regal was not a true Buick, but an Opel made into a Buick. This tells you nothing about the Buick brand or where it is headed. They said LaCrosse while nice is still not a full on premium luxury sedan. They said Buick needs a true flagship car. A Riviera or a Park Avenue. They said that on the other side Buick now is starting to turn Chevrolet Premium.

They said Buick in China is different from Buick North America. They feel that Buick is seen as a status car brand in China, but it has no association with that here. They said GM is in a dilemma. They could cut into two brands Chevrolet and Cadillac, but they would lose volume and sales. They said there many people out there who will not buy a Cadillac or Chevrolet. There are people with money who do not want to display their wealth. Buying Cadillac is not an option. They said GMC makes money, but they need cars to offset the trucks. Because Buick is in China, that is the only reason they still exist and they sell cars. They said really there is no reason for Buick to exist in the United States other than the Chinese connection.

They said even GM does not know what Buick stands for. Buick does not have a clear mission or focus. There is no cohesiveness with the new models.

In GM's case they said in reality, it makes sense to cut GM to Chevrolet and Cadillac. On paper financially when you see the real facts and figures it does not add up or make sense. In GM's position, it would hurt them to cut any more brands. It would not be a good thing for anyone to cut anymore brands.

They said with GMC, they serve a purpose. When they looked a buyers of trucks, the GMC buyers did not list Chevrolet Silverado as the next choice. It was a fully loaded Ford F-150 or fully loaded Dodge Ram after that. Silverado was not even on their list.

They talked about Mercury. What happened with Mercury is they were starved without products and updates. They said the issue there at Ford is can you get people to step up from Ford to Lincoln?

Lincoln is not a tier one luxury brand like it once was. While it is trying to do the Acura thing, that is not where they should be. They need to find a luxury niche and go head on with BMW and Cadillac etc. They said the current Lincolns look like gussied up Fords. This is what they are. While the MKS is nice, it breaks no new ground, and Lincoln needs rear drive cars. They need a new flagship contemporary Lincoln Town Car type car. They said the new look is not working. They said Lincoln has so much history they could work with. Lincoln has to get some direction. They said Lincoln dealers are going to have a hard time because there is no feeder brand.

The real issue is how to you market a middle brand? They said the carmakers are caught up with trying to be everything to everyone.

They said brands should focus on niches and grow the brands globally serving a niche than trying to cover every brand with every segment.

They said another issue is the definition of what premium is and what it should be is not clear.

That is what they said. Those are NOT my comments.

My opinion is there is room from middle brands and GM and Ford should have kept Mercury, Pontiac, and Oldsmobile and focused them.

Yes I know I watch it every week its GREAT!! I did not agree with them that there is no place for premium or mid range brands like Buick. And comparing Acura to longer standing and venerable brands was not fare. Infinity unlike Acura at least has something to offer the buyer with a luxury and sporty flair. It was a great show last night.

Yes I know I watch it every week its GREAT!! I did not agree with them that there is no place for premium or mid range brands like Buick. And comparing Acura to longer standing and venerable brands was not fare. Infinity unlike Acura at least has something to offer the buyer with a luxury and sporty flair. It was a great show last night.

I agree with you on the fact there is a place for midrange brands. They are needed. They have to market them and make them viable. No has done it properly.. They could have gone on hours with the topic.