Sign in to follow this  
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Video: 2010 Saab 9-5's First Commercial

Video: 2010 Saab 9-5's First Commercial

By Nelson Ireson

Editor

June 3rd, 2010

Freshly purchased by Spyker, Saab is preparing to launch sales of the first model under its new ownership, and the last designed under its previous GM overlords. As much as anything, the 2010 Saab 9-5 represents the transitional phase the brand is in. And this is the way they hope to sell it.

We've already seen the 2010 9-5 crashed head-on into itself, and since its debut at last year's Frankfurt Auto Show, we've all had ample time to memorize its specs. For those that might have forgotten: three engines will be available at launch, including a 2.0-liter turbodiesel, a 220-horsepower 2.-liter turbo four-cylinder gasoline powerplant, and a 2.8-liter turbo V-6 rated for 300 horsepower. And it's set to start below $50,000.

At just over a minute long, the video dispenses with the typical movie-themed voiceovers, flashy text, or any information on the car at all for that matter. Instead, we get a few still pans followed by uninterrupted driving footage shot in various urban locales from some rather creative angles. Expect to see the full version chopped into smaller pieces for most markets.

For the full run-down on the 2010 Saab 9-5, check out our preview.

link:

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1045811_video-2010-saab-9-5s-first-commercial

Totally the wrong music for the first commercial out of New Saab.

Just one look and I can hear a bell ring

One more look and I forget everything

Oh oh

Mamma Mia!

Here I go again!

My My!

How can I resist you!?

Mamma Mia

Does it show again?

My My!

Just how much I've miss you.

It's a very fitting song, talking about hope and brighter days [for Saab]

Like the way the gauge cluster fires up. Handsome vehicle overall. Hope it does well for Saab.

The car has some fancy lighting, but I think nearing $50k for a LaCrosse/Regal with LED tubes and turbine-like wheels is a lot. No one could ever convince me that this is worth more than a CTS, and it is nearing E-class pricing. This car won't save Saab, Spyker bought a dud.

• Downvote 1

The car has some fancy lighting, but I think nearing $50k for a LaCrosse/Regal with LED tubes and turbine-like wheels is a lot. No one could ever convince me that this is worth more than a CTS, and it is nearing E-class pricing. This car won't save Saab, Spyker bought a dud.

No one can convince you that the CTS-V has a superior performing engine and suspension setup than an M5 despite Cadillac smacking BMW all over the track..... so.... yeah.

I was very impressed with the 9-5 when I checked it out in NYC.

• Upvote 1

No one can convince you that the CTS-V has a superior performing engine and suspension setup than an M5 despite Cadillac smacking BMW all over the track..... so.... yeah.

Not only was I impressed with it at LAIAS, but so was my mother, and she's very hard to impress. She's a short driver, and was just gushing over the sliding lower seat cushion as so many cars have too-long seat cushions that force her into awkward driving positions.

The CTS-V has about 3 months left to brag, then the M5 will have 600 hp. And the M5 still sells for $90,000, the CTS-V has the motor, but not the luxury or technology the European cars have. But I was more referring to the CTS 3.6, at $40-45,000 compared to the 2.0 liter 9-5 for similar money. The 9-5 underneath and under the hood is still an Insignia/Regal, which to me is not worth near $50k. Then there is the reliability issue with Saabs. My mom had a 9-5 Aero which was a fun to drive car, but it broke down and needed towed 4 times in the first 4 years of ownership. A new car breaking down 4 times is inexcusable, needless to say she now has a German car.

If the 9-5 was $35-45k I could see it as being a possible contender, but Saab isn't giving you anything for $50k that Acura (or Lincoln) can't give you for $35-40k and the Acura won't break down all the time.

• Downvote 1

This car won't save Saab, Spyker bought a dud.

I (nor you) have seen SAABs books and business model without GM's 'unique' management accounting cost allocations, so perhaps Spyker did not buy such a dud. And perhaps Opel wouldn't need a rescue package without those management accounting gimmicks, but that's a whole different discussion.

Re the 9-5 and 9-4X, those won't save SAAB, and they are not supposed to save SAAB. They are supposed to keep SAAB afloat and give it a presence in a higher price bracket while SAAB works on a new 9-3 which will be the car that makes or breaks SAAB.

The CTS-V has about 3 months left to brag, then the M5 will have 600 hp. And the M5 still sells for $90,000, the CTS-V has the motor, but not the luxury or technology the European cars have. But I was more referring to the CTS 3.6, at $40-45,000 compared to the 2.0 liter 9-5 for similar money. The 9-5 underneath and under the hood is still an Insignia/Regal, which to me is not worth near $50k. Then there is the reliability issue with Saabs. My mom had a 9-5 Aero which was a fun to drive car, but it broke down and needed towed 4 times in the first 4 years of ownership. A new car breaking down 4 times is inexcusable, needless to say she now has a German car.

If the 9-5 was $35-45k I could see it as being a possible contender, but Saab isn't giving you anything for $50k that Acura (or Lincoln) can't give you for $35-40k and the Acura won't break down all the time.

Do you think that GM is doing nothing with the V-series? GM can announce 638hp tomorrow because the engine is already in production.

The 9-5 is not 2.0 liter in the US, it's a 2.8 turbo with 300hp and 295 ft/lbs of torque.

And going to a German car because your Swedish one broke down too much isn't moving very far up the ladder in reliability. Clearly there is a genetic indicator for willfully ignoring facts.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook