NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

New Buick Excelle GT Debuts in China, U.S. Version to Follow

New Buick Excelle GT Debuts in China, U.S. Version to Follow

2011-Buick-Excelle-GT-0.jpg

Shanghai GM, a joint venture between General Motors Corp and China's SAIC Motor Corp, has revealed the all-new 2011 Buick Excelle GT compact sedan that will go on sale in the country on June 23. It will be available in China with a choice of two petrol engines, a naturally-aspirated 1.8-liter with 108kW/145HP and a 1.6-liter turbocharged four-pot churning out 135kW/181HP.

The GT model expands Buick China's Excelle range that already includes the five-door hatchback XT model. And in case you didn't notice, both the Excelle XT and GT are based on the latest generation of the Opel Astra and share the same Delta II platform and mechanical hardware as the Chevrolet Cruze.

As we have already told you in previous reports, the four-door Excelle GT will be coming to Buick stores here in the States sometime next year, most likely with a different name but without any significant cosmetic changes.

Buick's new entry-level model will slot under the new Regal in the firm's U.S. range with the Volkswagen Jetta considered one of its closest rivals.

link:

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2010/06/new-buick-excelle-gt-debuts-in-china-us.html

that 1.8 turbo HAD BETTER be standard in this car in the US.

i think the rear pillar is a bit too upright. the wagon and 3, and 5 door are far sexier.

There's nothing about this car that would make the practical, rational part of me pick it over a Cruze... on the other hand the slightly less rational part of me would like the extra horsepower. Just like all of these new products I'll have to drive one. Once I get a chance to drive the Cruze, NG Malibu, Regal and this I'll have a better idea of what I'm going to get in 2012-13.

Not horrible... but not great. This is like Buick's version of the Jetta. I prefer the Golf (the Excelle hatchback, aka Astra 5-door).

I'm glad they're going back to 13" rims. Makes the tires cheaper to replace.

Not horrible... but not great. This is like Buick's version of the Jetta. I prefer the Golf (the Excelle hatchback, aka Astra 5-door).

That is what I was thinking, but at the same time, what makes this better than a Jetta? I think Buick is going the wrong route with this car, the interior looks like it came from the Equinox, and it isn't luxurious. Buick should be going for quiet, comfortable and luxurious, not techy/sporty like a Mazda or Nissan. The 1.6 turbo could be a base engine, that would do well against the Mini's 1.6 turbo or the Jetta's 2.5, but the Jetta has a diesel and the 2.0 turbo as well, so Buick needs an answer to that.

Where this car could fall flat is if it is too close to the Cruze (which the interior is) then it will get compared to the Civic, Corolla, Cruze, etc. Younger buyers aren't going to look at a Buick, they'll go with the mainstays. Jetta buyers are typically younger also, so Buick better blow away the Jetta to steal market share there. The easiest path to sales is to make the car like a downsized ES350 or LaCrosse, focus on soft, quiet luxury, and get 50-somethings that are downsizing out of big vehicles to buy it.

this lineup could distinguish itself easily.

good engine options, and all the body styles.

the 1.8 turbo should be a BASE engine.

the sedan, wagon, 3 and 5 door all should be sold. keep the 3 and 5 door with the opel grille slot. sedan gets the big gaping grille. i would sell the wagon with the opel grille slot. then the sedan could be the skylark. the other 3 could be imported, sold in popular builds. this whole lineup would be a great competitor to the VW products.

• Upvote 1

China's 2011 Buick Excelle GT Previews New Small Sedan

By Nelson Ireson

Editor

June 10th, 2010

There's a lot about Buick you might not know, including the fact that it sells more cars in China than it does in the U.S. But Buick has been hard at work refreshing its image here at home for a while now, with the LaCrosse, Regal and soon, the Excelle GT--though it's get a more U.S.-friendly name when it does arrive next year.

We've known for a while now what the Excelle GT looks like, so the photos revealed officially in China this week bring us no surprises. But the details that come along with the new photos include some powertrain info, including a pair of gas-burners likely destined for the U.S.: a 1.8-liter four-cylinder rated for 145 horsepower and a turbo 1.6-liter four good for 181 ponies.

Sized with the Chevy--oops, Chevrolet--Cruze and other Delta II-platform cars, the new Buick sedan will offer an entry point to the brand and potentially help bring down the average buyer age as well. Potential names for the car include Verano, a new name to the brand that's been under trademark since last summer, as well as Skylark, the spiritual ancestor of the new small Buick, and the last car Buick built in the segment. Production of the Skylark ended in 1998.

The next car expected out of Buick isn't a car, but a crossover based on the same platform that underpins the Cadillac SRX. Rumor has it that it will be named Encore.

With the Regal, Regal GS, LaCrosse, the new small sedan, the Enclave, and potentially the Encore crossover, Buick is set to have one of the freshest product lineups in the industry, and some compelling products to boot.

link:

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1046009_chinas-2011-buick-excelle-gt-previews-new-small-sedan

what sorta grates me a abit on this new astra look and its not so apparent on the 5 door. the front quarter window and rear window have chopped up the side profile and reduced the door openings so much.

on the previous gen astra the greenhouse had a nice flo to it. the windows here on the sedan version look too vertical. how many dang pillars and panels of glass do we need to look through?

i liked how on the last gen astra the door got wider towards the top. really helped with ingress and egress. these rear doors look very constricted. prob helps with safety cage design but still.

really helped with ingress and egress.

The Astras at the Opel dealership around the corner from my office don't appear to have any ingress/egress issues. Don't worry.

It's a conservatively handsome design, which I think is appropriate for this Buick. Still, GM needs to modify or upgrade some of the little details before they introduce this sedan in the U.S. market:

1) Projector beam headlights with blue ring accents should be standard.

2) The taillight elements need to be restyled with LEDs that look more modern and sophisticated than the late 80's/early 90's spec elements on the Chinese version.

3) I would like to see the rear fascia restyled or altered to accommodate a dual exhaust design similar to the LaCrosse CXS.

4) I would like to see the turn signal repeater lights relocated to the sideview mirror caps.

5) Foglights and alloy wheels should be standard (no modern Buick product should be without them).

6) The 1.6L turbo should be standard. This car should not be outpowered by the Cruze.

7) The name needs to be changed. "Excelle" doesn't cut it. Neither does "Verano".

I think this sedan will actually be marketed as a smaller sibling to the LaCrosse. The Regal will be the product that is positioned and marketed to bring in a whole different demographic to the brand. If GM doesn't cheap out on the details, then I think this new addition to the lineup will effectively expand Buick's success and market share in the U.S.

I would actually like to see the same front end applied to the Astra 5-door so that the 5-door can join the sedan in Buick's lineup. The sedan and 5-door would be sold under the same model name.

The 3-door (which looks to have a more rakish and daring design) and TwinTop roadster (which I assume will be based off the sportier looking 3-door) could be sold as a separate compact line. This line would keep its Opel "face" (with the Buick badge simply replacing the Opel badge) and be positioned and marketed as smaller siblings to the sportier Regal.

This way Buick would have 2 compact lines that represent the new split personality of the brand. The sedan and 5-door line would reinforce the elegant luxury side represented by the LaCrosse while the 3-door and roadster would reinforce the sportier side represented by the Regal.

Edited by cire

Well, I'm so grateful to see the current Jetta leave but after seeing the interior, holy generic! Now, if only the Buick came with some of the engine options the Jetta will offer.

Well, I'm so grateful to see the current Jetta leave but after seeing the interior, holy generic! Now, if only the Buick came with some of the engine options the Jetta will offer.

True.....

I wish they would convert the new Astra wagon into a Buick as well. It would look pretty nice. Also I think the Excelle GT sits to high on its wheels in the pics shown. Much higher than the Astra Wagon does, so I lowered it here and added the Astra wagon wheels and it makes a world of difference. These two would be a nice combo...

4706856781_1e392a7c0d_b.jpg

Edited by bostonspider

I wish they would convert the new Astra wagon into a Buick as well. It would look pretty nice. Also I think the Excelle GT sits to high on its wheels in the pics shown. Much higher than the Astra Wagon does, so I lowered it here and added the Astra wagon wheels and it makes a world of difference. These two would be a nice combo...

4706856781_1e392a7c0d_b.jpg

Very good job. I too like those Astra wheels.

I really hope that Buick sells more than just the sedan here...that wagon looks good witht he Buick fascia...I wonder what the hatches would look like

about the engines... the 1.4 turbo should be standard, and a 1.8T should be optional, to really differentiate it. of course the 1.8 might have to be power capped by the tranny choice.. i don't know what it's rated for.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook