NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Is This the Next Cadillac Escalade?

Is This the Next Cadillac Escalade?

By Ed Hellwig | June 7, 2010

Photo illustration: http://www.theophiluschin.com/

Doesn't really look much like an Escalade, does it? Well, that's because it's not the Escalade you've grown to love, or hate as the case may be. This is an illustration of the Lambda-based Cadillac crossover that's headed for dealers soon, at least according to a high-ranking GM executive who recently spoke to told Inside Line. But will it replace the current Escalade or merely introduce a new model to the lineup?

Speculation about such a vehicle has been rampant ever since GM iced the plans to revamp its line of full-size SUVs. With more stringent fuel-efficiency standards on the way, the prospect of meeting the new targets with three different versions of the massive Escalade didn't look feasible.

So what's the plan now? Look for this Lambda-based Cadillac to replace the standard-size Escalade in the current lineup. It'll have more space on the inside and should tow enough to satisfy most owners in the class. For those who absolutely must have more capability, a more traditional body-on-frame Escalade ESV will remain in the lineup. GM knows there's still going to be a market for full-size SUVs, so it will most likely continue to produce the Chevrolet Suburban and its Cadillac variant well into the next decade.

link:

http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2010/06/is-this-the-next-cadillac-escalade.html

I went to the TheophilusChin site. They appear to chop every vehicle they possibly can.

InsideLine whiffed.

I went to the TheophilusChin site. They appear to chop every vehicle they possibly can.

InsideLine whiffed.

Edmunds is a smut of auto industry. I love their one liners, "What does it mean to you." :rolleyes::facepalm:

LOL. So some dimbo at Edmunds thinks Cadillac is going to create a new crossover-based Escalade but keep one trim of it as a BOF truck? ROFL.

My hope is that there won't be a new Escalade.

I don't think it will look like that. I do wonder, however, if a Lambda Cadillac would supplement or replace the BOF Escalade altogether.

love the front, not so much the back, WAY to anonymous

and i do think they should definetly keep the ESV in production

Edited by CanadianBacon94

It's been confirmed already that the Escalade is going to remain BOF. The Lambda Cadillac is going to be a new model altogether.

That looks horrible, all I can think of is Saturn Outlook. Hopefully, it is just a bad photo shop. It as to be, although if the Cadillac Lambda looks a lot like a rebadge, it wouldn't really surprise me all that much. But that illustration quite bad, there is no way they can make it look like that.

• Downvote 1

I think the ESV and EXT will remain in production for as long as the Suburban and Avalanche do.

How many EXT's and ESV's are sold per year? Compared to the equivalent GMC Yukon XL Denali? I think the EXT should be given to GMC, where both regular and Denali versions can be offered (increasing $profits$) and the ESV could remain if it sells enough. A Lambda-based Escalade may do much better in sales than the BOF GMT-900 Escalade though.

Doesn't matter. It costs GM almost nothing to keep them in production, but they still command a premium price over their Chevy counterparts. I appreciate you like GMC, but giving GMC an Avalanche at the expense of Cadillac would be a move backwards. GMC does command some premium over Chevy on the higher end of things, but not like Cadillac can.

Remember, Escalade is almost a brand in itself like the Pruis is at Toyota or the Mustang is at Ford.

Changing Escalade to Lambda would redefine the essence of what the vehicle is. Even if (not much of an "if") most Escalade owners don't go off pavement or tow, buyers spending that much money want what they want, and don't want someone else telling them what they "should" buy. Changing the essence of the Escalade would be a serious gamble. Would-be buyers might be turned off by the less macho image of a crossover design. GM is probably wise not to risk turning a Caddy cash cow into a dud. At the same time, I think a well done Lambda Caddy might be a worthwhile effort, and agree with creating it under a different name. I could possibly see the crossover being an Escalade with a particular trim level, like the EXT, etc, but it may just be too different from the other BOF models.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook