Sign in to follow this  
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

PSA: Eating in the car increases risk of food poisoning

10 posts in this topic

PSA: Eating in the car increases risk of food poisoning

by Chris Shunk (RSS feed) on Jun 9th, 2010 at 6:31PM

Ever eat in your car? If so, we're thinking there is a good chance there is currently at least one french fry stuck between the driver seat and the center arm rest. That's pretty bad, but a study by researchers from British auto accessories retailer Halfords shows that there probably are a lot more disgusting things in your ride than some fried potatoes or a few chunks of shredded lettuce. Scientists swabbed the door handles, steering wheel, shift knob, radio and seats and found bacteria ranging from Staphylococcus to Bacillus Cereus. Those names just sound unhealthy, and in reality they are the germs that cause food poisoning, impetigo severe nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Those nasty germs enter your car through the soil you walk on, the pets you travel with, the passengers you transport and the very hands you use to eat all that food.

That's really bad news if you eat in your car regularly, and the study by Halfords shows that 70 percent of people do just that. Further, half of those study admitted to leaving food behind in the car, giving those bacteria the sustenance they need to help ruin your week. And don't think that since this is summertime that the sun will bake your interior to the point where the germs die off. Quite the contrary, the nasty little microbes multiply faster as your vehicle heats up, bolstering the little buggers for the impending fight against your immune system.

To protect yourself from these germs, the best defense is to keep your hands clean and leave the eating for a clean kitchen table. But if you must eat while driving, scientists feel that car owners should clean their vehicles as often as one would wipe down that kitchen table. We're not the type to shy away from every germ nature has to offer, but something as serious-sounding as Staphylococcus makes us want to make with the disinfecting wipes in short order.

link:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/09/psa-eating-in-the-car-increases-risk-of-food-poisoning/

Croc    268

Um, yeah...keep your car clean. Wash your hands regularly. Those viruses had to get into the car and onto contact surfaces somehow...uh derr

SAmadei    224

A small dose of germs keeps the immune system fit. I'm fairly concerned that our ultra sanitized living is leaving a growing portion of the population unprotected from sickness.

Intrepidation    848

A small dose of germs keeps the immune system fit. I'm fairly concerned that our ultra sanitized living is leaving a growing portion of the population unprotected from sickness.

LOL that's a funny way of thinking when you consider that there are germs everywhere, we encounter theme very day. Doesn't require living in filth. ;)

FAPTurbo    1,090

I have a self-imposed rule that no eating takes place in my truck, so no worries here. :P

Croc    268

I have a self-imposed rule that no eating takes place in my truck, so no worries here. :P

I have a rule that no eating takes place in my car, unless it's being done by me. That way, if a mess occurs, I can only get mad at myself. I will make an exception, though, for certain friends/family members, though, with the stipulation that if they make a mess, they're going to pay to have the entire interior detailed professionally, about $40.

I don't have many takers on that one, though...

Intrepidation    848

I have a rule that no eating takes place in my car, unless it's being done by me. That way, if a mess occurs, I can only get mad at myself. I will make an exception, though, for certain friends/family members, though, with the stipulation that if they make a mess, they're going to pay to have the entire interior detailed professionally, about $40.

I don't have many takers on that one, though...

I do something similar to that. :lol:

SAmadei    224

LOL that's a funny way of thinking when you consider that there are germs everywhere, we encounter theme very day. Doesn't require living in filth. ;)

I'm well aware there are germs everywhere, but only a small fraction of what we used to be exposed to when raw sewage was dumped into the streets on a regular basis.

We live in a world where the news media scares us on a regular basis, there is an antibacterial for every purpose and as time goes on, more people have immunodeficiency and autoimmune issues, and allergies (a form of immune reaction) are going through the roof.

I'm not advocating living in filth or dumping sewage into the streets in the name of health, and the original article is not suggesting you have quarter inch of food crust covering the interior in your car. Its suggesting you clean your car as often as your kitchen table. Unfortunately, your car is not your table... its full of permeable surfaces and little spaces which cannot be cleaned particularly well. So, the extrapolated suggestion here is to not eat in your car... and buy new cars, since you can never be sure with a used car.

For the record, I'm not into being superclean, but reasonably clean. Yeah, I eat in the car... clean as needed... wash hands as needed (sometimes without soap!) and bath daily (with soap). I have had a pretty good track record with health, considering my other vices and that I have been exposed to a couple of the food poisoning recalls with little effect (Peter Pan was the worst with fever and nausea). Yet, my friends with adult kids living the ultraclean life can't seem to stay healthy. But of course, my experience is nothing but anecdotal.

My feeling is this... I have bigger things to worry about. Sure, the car, my cellphones, and the keyboard are petri dishes of filth regardless of outward appearances of cleanliness. So are the trees, grass, rocks, benches, and everything outside since basically, birds/animals defecate on everything outside. This article/study is simply common sense. Don't eat the petrified french fry you find under your seat.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this