Sign in to follow this  
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

BREAKING: New 2011 Volkswagen Jetta leaks ahead of official unveiling

15 posts in this topic

BREAKING: New 2011 Volkswagen Jetta leaks ahead of official unveiling

by Jeremy Korzeniewski (RSS feed) on Jun 14th 2010 at 4:12PM

Thanks to a leak from the boys at Auto Express in the UK, we can show you these few shots of the 2011 Volkswagen Jetta, along with a couple of salient details. Unlike all previous versions of the compact sedan, Volkswagen didn't just graft a trunk to the Golf hatchback to create the Jetta; instead the platform was stretched between the wheels to create a roomier package and more real estate for distinctive styling.

Our European friends will reportedly be getting their choice of a 104-horsepower 1.2-liter TSI, a slightly larger 1.4 TSI with 121 horses or a 200-horsepower 2.0-liter TSI, all burning gasoline. On the diesel front, a 104-horsepower 1.6 TDI kicks things off, followed by a 2.0-liter TDI with 138 ponies.

Stay tuned for more information as VW officially releases the rest of the details on its next-generation Jetta, and in the meantime check out the three leaked images in our gallery below.

link:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/14/new-2011-volkswagen-jetta-leaks-ahead-of-official-unveiling/

ZL-1    160

We will probably see a 160hp version of the 1.4L here in Europe in addition to the 120hp one.

FAPTurbo    1,078

They've eliminated everything that made the current Jetta look somewhat distinctive in its categ - ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz

pow    106

It looks more expensive than a Corolla, Civic, or Cruze, but indeed it is very boring. This has been designed specifically for the North American market, and as such, VW hopes it'll sell much better than the current model. It's supposed to be less expensive and suit US tastes better - larger cupholders, a lever instead of a wheel for backrest adjustment, etc.

Ironically, Ford of Europe is doing the opposite, designing the Focus to be a global car, with little differentiation between markets. It also looks more exciting than this Jetta. Maybe the GLI model will be better. And perhaps there will be a coupe...

volkswagen-new-concept-coupe-side.jpg

Croc    268

Personally, I think it looks cheap. Those A and C pillars are way too thin and spindly, especially in proportion to the veritable bathtub lower body. The character line along the rockers is also way too deep...exaggerated.

VW usually has very classic, timeless designs, and this just doesn't cut it for me. Maybe it looks better in person? Did they hire GM's photographer or something? Lol...

cire    2

I guess I'm in the minority here because I actually like it (the exterior at least). Like the new Touareg, it has a conservatively handsome, tailored look to the exterior that I think is totally appropriate for the brand. It's definitely not as exciting as the new gen Focus and new gen Elantra sedans, but it has an upscale look that elevates it above Corolla/Civic/Sentra blandness.

I do agree that the interior is rather dull. It looks like a less than imaginative evolution of the current Jetta interior. That being said, I think most European car interior designs fall on the bland side.

ocnblu    733

I like this WAY more than the blobby Mk V. It has edges! And it is purposeful and spare, as a VW should be. Good on them.

The general shape reminds me of the one from 2 generations back (early '00s) but with more side surface detailing..

bobo    91

Clean, purposeful, and modern, if a bit boring. Agree with 'blu that the last version was too blobby.

cire    2

After seeing additional pictures there is one minor item that I would change on the exterior. I would put a chrome surround around the side windows. This minor detail can make the exterior look even more upscale. Other than that, I really like the exterior. It's a crisp, clean, Germanic looking design that is completely appropriate for VW.

I hope a coupe version joins the sedan. The New Compact Coupe Concept was very sharp looking. A production version of this concept would be cool.

Edited by cire

ehaase    18

I find the new Jetta more appealing than all the small cars out now or the Cruze and new Focus, but it may be because I am 46 and have more conservative tastes.

Drew Dowdell    4,988

From the front:

"Honey! I shrunk the Passat!"

From the rear:

"Honey! I shrunk the Pheaton!"

The very first impression of the beak actually gave me a current gen Impala impression... but then my eye focused.

PONTIAC06    22

It also seems like the lines between Audi and VW designs are being further blurred.

The interior and tail lights give me that feeling as well. I'm almost positive that interior is directly from the early 00's A4

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this