Days After Getting The Cobalt Back From The Shop

Let me just say. F-U-C-K.

Since that is out of the way, here's the story. Myself, Dallas, and my brother Zack decided to hit up NYC for a day. We left around 3 am to be there early and give us as much time possible. Pa was a breeze. NJ was until halfway through. After that it was traffic, traffic, and more traffic. Lots of bumper to bumper with random bursts of moving. Mostly stationary with a bit of 2 mph for a good hour. Things started to speed up again right before I-280 started. A little lane changing to get through traffic quicker and then we merged onto 280. Not long after that we came to another halt. Sped up again... and then suddenly the cars in front of me stop. I stop and.... *bam-bam* I get hit from behind and pushed into the car in front of me. The guy who hit me is in a Mk4 Jetta and his is very clearly totaled. The couple in front of me is in a Lancer Sportback and didn't suffer much visible damage. Myself... So far, the rear end doesnt look as bad as it is. Unless you look closely, its just damage to the bumper cover. Open the no-longer-able-to-be-closed trunk and you see that the space for the spare tire and battery is all crinkled and pushed in. On the each side of the rear body there's very slight ripples in the sheet metal just ahead of the wheel wells. Up front, same story to a lesser degree. Front bumper cover is most visible, underneath, atleast the bumper support is bent. I can't really see much beyond that. Inside... we had orange soda and it went everywhere. No one was hurt, though.

001-6.jpg

005-5.jpg

002-2.jpg

101-1.jpg

106.jpg

093-1.jpg

094.jpg

095.jpg

098.jpg

007-4.jpg

104.jpg

109.jpg

111.jpg

I am so sorry. You can win for losing. I mean really. I do not know what to say. This went from bad to worse. I am so sorry Corey. I can understand your frustration. That car really took a impact this time. I just wish the bad stuff would stop happening to people on this website. I am just glad you and your friends and family were not hurt.

Man you have the worst luck when it comes to car accidents. Sorry to hear...doesn't look totaled though...your car is probably worth enough to cover the cost of pulling out the rear body and fixing it.

I'm looking forward to a response from Ocnblu. The fact that it still seems to drive fine has me thinking positively, but after I noticed the ripples in the body-sides, I'm not entirely sure. Here's to hoping.

I put a bunch of comments over on your Facebook album regarding this. The buckles in the quarters might pull out when the car is put on the frame machine to pull the rear (and front, likely) structure. But that hard kink in the trunk floor has me concerned... will it pull out? Can it be hammered back into pre-loss condition successfully? It's always hard to guess. You know it needs all parts for both bumpers, a rear body panel, frame rail repair at the rear and maybe the front as well, and the trunk floor is up in the air at this point, it is kinked over on itself hard, and it is ripped from the frame rail. If the quarter panel buckles do not pull out, that's more bodywork and painting (plus pulling out the quarter glasses for painting)... this is adding up quickly for a base model 2005 Cobalt, I have to say. *bites nails*

Which insurance does the other guy have? Not sure what the "rules" are for a PA resident hit in NJ by an NJ resident, insurance varies by state. I would be pressing for a rental car though, look at your battery, and with the trunk not closing, the car is not secure from thieves or weather. Plus it should be torn down to get a thorough estimate on the damages.

I would be checking your car's value on the NADA website. Check "clean retail", because that's what the insurance co will go by for value. NADA usually gives the most accurate value, but it is still a ballpark figure. The insurance company will place a value on the car, which you have the right to question.

It is going to be close. Good luck either way, Vipes, and keep us in the loop.

EDIT: when you go to the NADA site, choose "consumer", then "new and used car center", you will be able to go in and see.

Edited by ocnblu

I put a bunch of comments over on your Facebook album regarding this. The buckles in the quarters might pull out when the car is put on the frame machine to pull the rear (and front, likely) structure. But that hard kink in the trunk floor has me concerned... will it pull out? Can it be hammered back into pre-loss condition successfully? It's always hard to guess. You know it needs all parts for both bumpers, a rear body panel, frame rail repair at the rear and maybe the front as well, and the trunk floor is up in the air at this point, it is kinked over on itself hard, and it is ripped from the frame rail. If the quarter panel buckles do not pull out, that's more bodywork and painting (plus pulling out the quarter glasses for painting)... this is adding up quickly for a base model 2005 Cobalt, I have to say. *bites nails*

Which insurance does the other guy have? Not sure what the "rules" are for a PA resident hit in NJ by an NJ resident, insurance varies by state. I would be pressing for a rental car though, look at your battery, and with the trunk not closing, the car is not secure from thieves or weather. Plus it should be torn down to get a thorough estimate on the damages.

I would be checking your car's value on the NADA website. Check "clean retail", because that's what the insurance co will go by for value. NADA usually gives the most accurate value, but it is still a ballpark figure. The insurance company will place a value on the car, which you have the right to question.

It is going to be close. Good luck either way, Vipes, and keep us in the loop.

EDIT: when you go to the NADA site, choose "consumer", then "new and used car center", you will be able to go in and see.

He was actually a PA resident, as well. Same with the guy I was pushed into, coincidentally. We didn't get any of the insurance info... The cop took everything, gave a slip to send in for a police report and sent us on our way.

Clean retail for NADA is $8200. KBB is at $8600.

Oh no... you didn't get the Jetta guy's insurance info? This will drag on way too long, as it usually takes forever for the police to get a report together on a non-injury accident. If you had gotten his info, you could have been on the phone to them THAT DAY and gotten things underway. You certainly have the right to call his insurance company and make a claim. Call that officer and get the Jetta guy's insurance info and call those people as soon as you can!

Good luck Corey, and Darn..sorry to see that happen to you and the 'balt, dude. As bad as it sounds, I would push them to total the car.

Some times you can take things through your insurance company and get things started, and then your insurance company will collect from the Jetta owners company....

Oh no... you didn't get the Jetta guy's insurance info? This will drag on way too long, as it usually takes forever for the police to get a report together on a non-injury accident. If you had gotten his info, you could have been on the phone to them THAT DAY and gotten things underway. You certainly have the right to call his insurance company and make a claim. Call that officer and get the Jetta guy's insurance info and call those people as soon as you can!

QFT

He was actually a PA resident, as well. Same with the guy I was pushed into, coincidentally. We didn't get any of the insurance info... The cop took everything, gave a slip to send in for a police report and sent us on our way.

Clean retail for NADA is $8200. KBB is at $8600.

$8k for a 2005 Cobalt???? Am I missing something??? WTF

/currentkilometers/177777"]Check this

Edited by the_yellow_dart

I really hate this new forum software. Can't even get the link posted properly. :facepalm:

Regardless, what it says when I enter my 2005 LS manual coupe with 177k km is $600-$2k. How you get $8k is beyond me. Even when I enter 1,000 km, I don't get a number that high.

Trade in vs retail, Canada vs US, 177k vs ~67k (41k miles).

cobnada.jpg

cobkbb.jpg

Based on the photos you've posted and that NADA value, I think you're in good shape. It appears to me the car will be repairable, not a total loss, even if it needs a trunk floor. But you need to get the ball rolling, Cory. Even if you put the claim through your own insurance and let them subrogate to the other guy's company.

Yikes. And the lack of insurance info...as OCN said, not a good thing. Anything to expedite the process, so hopefully that's still possible.

Lots of damage to a 5 year old Cobalt, and anything is fixable. Been in this situation more than once, never at fault. Insurance, info on estimate/repair/other ASAP, and so on. Ugh...

I don't really understand this part...like the police were one car behind you and arrived IMMEDIATELY at the scene, swooped in and seized everyone's licenses, insurance cards, and registrations before anyone could trade information? Because that's the first thing you do: trade information. Licenses, insurance cards, etc. Call up the police and get that info, or call up your agent like stat and give them the name of the other guy, so the onus is on him to provide the info of his insurance.

• Agree 1

I don't really understand this part...like the police were one car behind you and arrived IMMEDIATELY at the scene, swooped in and seized everyone's licenses, insurance cards, and registrations before anyone could trade information? Because that's the first thing you do: trade information. Licenses, insurance cards, etc. Call up the police and get that info, or call up your agent like stat and give them the name of the other guy, so the onus is on him to provide the info of his insurance.

:yes:

• Agree 1

The police trooper was already sitting there with lights flashing for the construction. It literally happened right beside him. First, we all pulled over on the left side since we were in the left lane to survey the damage. He immediately had us move to the right side of the road and collected everyone's information starting with his.

We're going through our insurance first. Once we get the report, they'll seek the guy-at-fault's insurance, and if need be, hire lawyers. I'm just lucky I have a dozen vehicles to choose between and am unemployed.

OK, glad things are progressing for you. I just had two concerns, going with your own insurance: The other guy's insurance owes you a rental car, and you will likely have to pay your deductible after the car is fixed and then wait for reimbursement, possibly for months afterward.

• Agree 1

OK, glad things are progressing for you. I just had two concerns, going with your own insurance: The other guy's insurance owes you a rental car, and you will likely have to pay your deductible after the car is fixed and then wait for reimbursement, possibly for months afterward.

A dozen cars to choose from....don't think he's worried about a rental.

Much depends on what company each driver had. This might get nasty.

A dozen cars to choose from....don't think he's worried about a rental.

Much depends on what company each driver had. This might get nasty.

Agreed. Corey, can you even get a rental? Laws vary, but I thought it was 25 to rent a car??

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Viper I hadn't seen this thread till today. I did not know you got hit by the curse. Very sorry to hear about this accident. It's even a more specialized curse, red cobalt owners apparently.

To have to wait for this post accident $h! to unfold and all the uncertainty.....I in some way this works out ok in the end....some facet of it.

Edited by regfootball
  • Agree 1

I've been waiting to hear back from this. They must be replacing the trunk floor, among a whole bunch of other stuff, for that price.

It can take a long time for things to get settled when info is not exchanged at the scene. I see it too often.

Keep us posted.

• Agree 1

Totaled. We're getting about $8k.

It's for the best. Even if you could repair it, it would never be the same. Little creaks and rattles, paint mismatches from the replaced body parts, weakened sheet metal from the areas that were bent back, and not to mention resell value for a totaled and repaired vehicle.

Getting another non-damaged, factory-painted car is the best way to go.

• Agree 1

DF, remember Cory said the estimate was for $6700+. The car is apparently worth $8000. That's almost 84% of the value of the car. Most insurance companies repair a car up to 60-70-80% (depending on the car, its salvage value and which insurance company you're dealing with) of the current retail value... so yes, the Cobalt is beyond totalled. "Totalled" does not mean the damage meets or exceeds the "total" value of the vehicle. It means only that the damage comes to or above the percentage set by the insurance company of the current retail value.

And there's always a possibility of a "supplement", or more damages found in the course of the repair, which ups the bill.

siegen is right, this is for the best. Hopefully there is no money owed on the Cobalt and Cory's mother can use that entire insurance check to put a down payment on something she really likes.

The important thing is Cory and his passenger(s) were not hurt. I'm sure Cory will agree that while it will be extremely difficult to find a vehicle to replace that gorgeous little red coupay, it would have been impossible to replace himself.

DF, remember Cory said the estimate was for $6700+. The car is apparently worth $8000. That's almost 84% of the value of the car. Most insurance companies repair a car up to 60-70-80% (depending on the car, its salvage value and which insurance company you're dealing with) of the current retail value... so yes, the Cobalt is beyond totalled. "Totalled" does not mean the damage meets or exceeds the "total" value of the vehicle. It means only that the damage comes to or above the percentage set by the insurance company of the current retail value.

And there's always a possibility of a "supplement", or more damages found in the course of the repair, which ups the bill.

siegen is right, this is for the best. Hopefully there is no money owed on the Cobalt and Cory's mother can use that entire insurance check to put a down payment on something she really likes.

The important thing is Cory and his passenger(s) were not hurt. I'm sure Cory will agree that while it will be extremely difficult to find a vehicle to replace that gorgeous little red coupay, it would have been impossible to replace himself.

That's pretty much what the insurance told us. Per the estimate, they found more than expected. Both front seats were broken from the force of the accident. Frame was bent, trunk floor, as well as all the obvious. The biggest lost; this was my Grandma's car and my Mom wanted to have it because of that.

Myself, I'm not getting another car right now. We'll soldier on with the Sunfire and Golf for now. I'll probably wait until I find another job, as I'm really aiming for a nice, shiny, new MK6 GTI. :P

Vipes and I might be getting the same ride, as I love the MK IV GTI.

Thought of both Vipes and DF today...was at the scrap yard, scraping out a bunch of copper and aluminium, and they brought in a nearly undamaged Intrepid, and a mildly damaged but amazingly clean Hardbody Nissan like Vipes originally wanted.

This is a scrap metal Yard, not a salvage yard, got to watch as sadly both were lifted up and dumped into the crusher...what a waste!