Sign in to follow this  
NewsFeeder

Report: Dodge originally developed SLS AMG to be next-gen Viper

8 posts in this topic

NewsFeeder    9

Filed under: Coupe, Chrysler, Dodge, Mercedes-Benz

02mbsls63amgfd-630op.jpg
Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG - Click above for high-res image gallery

There's a lot to like about the Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG. After all, we're talking about a sleek, 563-horsepower super-Benz with functional gullwing doors and a soundtrack to melt your heart. It's the embodiment of German engineering... or is it? Inside Line cites unnamed sources who say that the SLS AMG actually began life as the next-generation Dodge Viper.

The story apparently goes like this. Dodge engineers were already hard at work on the next-gen Viper, with an aluminum chassis already completed and a new suspension on the way. Mercedes caught wind of the project and decided that the chassis would be the perfect starting point for the upcoming SLS. The two teams reportedly worked side-by-side on the project until Chrysler's cash crunch caused the Dodge team to focus its resources elsewhere. The end result was a brand-new SLS for Mercedes and a hole in Dodge's Viper lineup. IL bolsters its account of the Viper-turned-SLS with the fact that early SLS test mules caught by spy photogs were fitted with ill-assembled Viper sheetmetal.

While it's hard to blame Mercedes for utilizing existing engineering work (it did, after all own Chrysler at the time) to bring the SLS to market faster and cheaper, we're thinking it would have been nice to have a new aluminum chassis Viper on the streets. Here's hoping that the 2012 Viper makes us forget about our loss.

[source: Inside Line]

Report: Dodge originally developed SLS AMG to be next-gen Viper originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 16 Jun 2010 15:58:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=RlEOhr4siTk:rjxYEjIjvFs:wF9xT autoblog?i=RlEOhr4siTk:rjxYEjIjvFs:V_sGL
RlEOhr4siTk

View the full article

Intrepidation    846

Just another case of the German pricks taking all the goods Chrysler had and leaving it behind with almost nothing.

I will never buy even a used product from that Daimler.

Z-06    493

I personally think had not Daimler got Chrysler, it would be the one going into bankruptcy. Daimler used Chrysler like it was a $2 whore on a nickel night.

ME412 and now this.

Intrepidation    846

Even if this story isn't true (in all likely hood it probably is, certainly sounds like something Daimler would do), it's already been well document how much Daimler bent Chrysler over and f**ked the life out of them. I'll sooner buy a Lexus than I would a Mercedes. :rage:

MyerShift    7

Definitely believeable.

Especially considering that apparently the new Grand Cherokee shares its guts with the next M-B ML-Class from what the rags and allpar say.