Sign in to follow this  
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

UAW TO FORCE TOYOTA INTO UNIONIZATION NATIONWIDE

8 posts in this topic

UAW TO FORCE TOYOTA INTO UNIONIZATION NATIONWIDE

By Mark Kleis

Earlier this week the United Auto Workers union voted Bob King as the new president to succeed Ron Gettelfinger.

Only days into his reign as the new head of the UAW, King is already making waves as he has called the UAW members to picket Toyota dealers nationwide, along with a banner campaign at dealers in hopes of pressuring Toyota Motor Corp. to allow the UAW to unionize across all of its facilities in the U.S, according to Automotive News.

King even went as far as to suggest existing UAW members “adopt” a local Toyota dealer and focus their efforts on individual stores, rather than simply randomly selecting different dealers on different days. King spoke with Automotive News following his inauguration, where King explained that Toyota’s closure of the NUMMI plant in California sparked the call for direct action.

“We’re going to show these corporations that if they are unjust to our members that they are going to pay a price,” King said. “It’s a better business decision to work with us than treat people unfairly.”

King explains strategy moving forward by looking back

During his interview, King explained that the UAW once had representation across 70-80 percent of the automotive, aerospace and agricultural production plants in the U.S. King went on to explain that it was at that time that the UAW had enough power to command the most in wages and benefits, and King believes unionizing the foreign automakers operating in the U.S. today would be the best way to “recapture lost concessions.”

King won’t stop with Toyota, targets suppliers too

In an interesting and revealing moment of candor, King also suggested that a higher percentage of auto suppliers need to be unionized as well, citing a competitive disadvantage for the suppliers that are currently unionized compared to the non-unionized suppliers which don’t carry the burden of increased costs due to union demands.

King went on to say that if the UAW can manage to grow through a “multi-pronged growth strategy” that would make use of direction action by UAW members and legislative initiatives – aided by a pro-union administration – then the UAW could work to drive up wages and benefits to provide livable compensation.

link:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/uaw-to-force-toyota-into-unionization-nationwide.html

PurdueGuy    72

Since when was the unionization of a company between that company and a 3rd party union? What I fail to see here is the crying out by TOYOTAS WORKERS for a union. The UAW can declare what they're going to do all day long - it doesn't mean it's going to happen. I have a hard time seeing the UAW as anything more than a floundering collection of greedy mobsters anymore. Many workers represented by the UAW are good, respectable workers, but the UAW organization has my contempt.

PONTIAC06    22

Since when was the unionization of a company between that company and a 3rd party union? What I fail to see here is the crying out by TOYOTAS WORKERS for a union. The UAW can declare what they're going to do all day long - it doesn't mean it's going to happen. I have a hard time seeing the UAW as anything more than a floundering collection of greedy mobsters anymore. Many workers represented by the UAW are good, respectable workers, but the UAW organization has my contempt.

Agreed...it sounds like they want to force other carmakers into unions just so they can get some things from the domestics that they lost...I'd say for those that are still there, suck it up and be happy you didn't lose your jobs in bankruptcy...

PurdueGuy    72

Agreed...it sounds like they want to force other carmakers into unions just so they can get some things from the domestics that they lost...I'd say for those that are still there, suck it up and be happy you didn't lose your jobs in bankruptcy...

Well, separating the UAW management from it's members, I'd say it's simply that the UAW management is grasping for power, just like it always does. There is no concern as to whether their actions are reasonable or moral, there is only one question behind the UAW's decisions - will a particular action potentially gain them power or money? If it will, they'll do it. Funny, that sounds like EXACTLY the kind of decision making by corporations that the unions were created to keep in check...

Workers who are members of the UAW are usually far from so callous, they are simply having to look out for themselves in tough times. There are some who take advantage of the system and are the stereotypical lazy bums, and they ought to be tossed out on the street, but many of them are simply hard working people. It's UAW management that seems rotten to the core.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this