You need a car and have 16K on hand. What do you get?

If I had $16K to buy my mother a car, I'd get her a ~2008 Camry Hybrid with ~30K miles. Good visibility, solid structure, 3600 lbs, economical, and easy to drive. Being so cheap, it's hard to imagine spending twice as much for a brand new Fusion Hybrid.

But if I were buying a car for myself, a used European sports sedan will do - E39 5-series, B5 or B6 Audi A4 or S4 (preferably Avant) - and the rest will go toward maintenance. A CPO MINI (Cooper S, if possible) or new Fiesta, if I wanted to be practical.

I'd do what I just did and buy a 2007 Saab 9-5 Aero. It's fully loaded, performs pretty well though the suspension is a little harsh, gets very good gas mileage and still has 1.5 years of factory warranty on it (2.5 yrs of powertrain) assuming Saab survives that long. So far I'm very happy with my purchase. Of course, I wanted a practical, fun to drive family car that will work well during Michigan winters. Without those requirements, I would have bought something else. I would have preferred a G8 but prices on those (even the 6 cyl models) are actually higher than what I could have bought a brand new one for a year ago.

Congrats on the new car, 2 quick...

In answer to the question....hmmm....

If I could find a decent BMW Clownshoe Coupe or E30 M3, that might be nice...

Or a GTI, manual, clean, couple of years old...

Or a used Cooper S....

Or a Cobalt SS TC used....

Or a nice clean SVTR Focus and 8k to take a trip to New Zealand or someplace interesting.

But probably the Cooper S....

Although the grage queen 93 Cobra in teal sounds like a winner also...as does a GTO..

Chris

I'd do what I just did and buy a 2007 Saab 9-5 Aero. It's fully loaded, performs pretty well though the suspension is a little harsh, gets very good gas mileage and still has 1.5 years of factory warranty on it (2.5 yrs of powertrain) assuming Saab survives that long. So far I'm very happy with my purchase. Of course, I wanted a practical, fun to drive family car that will work well during Michigan winters. Without those requirements, I would have bought something else. I would have preferred a G8 but prices on those (even the 6 cyl models) are actually higher than what I could have bought a brand new one for a year ago.

I think the warranty claim reverts to GM should anything happen to Spyker. That's why the sale took so long because GM wanted to be sure that Saab was staying gone and that they wouldn't have to take old warranty claims if Spyker failed.

Congrats on the new car, 2 quick...

In answer to the question....hmmm....

If I could find a decent BMW Clownshoe Coupe or E30 M3, that might be nice...

Or a GTI, manual, clean, couple of years old...

Or a used Cooper S....

Or a Cobalt SS TC used....

Or a nice clean SVTR Focus and 8k to take a trip to New Zealand or someplace interesting.

But probably the Cooper S....

Although the grage queen 93 Cobra in teal sounds like a winner also...as does a GTO..

Chris

Thanks! I actually came super, super close to buying a a certified '09 Cobalt SS TC sedan w/ 5k miles on it instead of the Saab. I was on my way to the dealership to buy it that night (Asking $17,900, guessing I could have had it for $16,500) and I made the mistake of calling the insurance company to check the rates. It was going to be significantly more to insure than even my Z28!!!! In fact, IIRC, it was almost double what my Saab is per year. If it had even been close, that would be in my driveway instead of the Saab.

I was just looking at this general price range... Quite a few different choices for me, mostly 2004 or 2005 models.

• VW R32
  • Subaru Legacy 2.5GT B-spec
  • Mazdaspeed6
  • Mazda Rx8
  • Pontiac GTO
  • BMW 3er
  • Etc...

That's a good list. Maybe add an Audi A4/S4 to it? Preferably an Avant?

Pish Posh. A homeowner needs a pickup truck. If you don't want payments, I'd find a nice used GM pickup truck. If you are willing to deal with payments, I'd find a nice new GM pickup truck.:smilewide:

I have a bunch of trucks at work I can pretty much use whenever I want...I'm with Viper, R32 FTW!

THAT is a gentlemans cruiser, fast, comfortable, stylish...not just yes but...sign me up for a payment!

I've always had a thing for the Pacifica...a nice `07 or `08 Limited with the 4.0 and 6-speed would make a good people mover. Plus it drove well wand had Chrysler's best interior.

On the flip side, 16k would go a long way towards restoring the `Cuda I bet...if it were in my name.

Perhaps a Satellite Sebring

plymouthsatellite.jpg

It's also possible to get a R/T LX car now for 16k if you look hard enough. :scratchchin:

Oh, and Saturn Sky...if you can get one for 16k now...I don't know, but I'd love to own one.

Oh and Nissan 300ZX twin turbo...mmm........

Cuda yes...and Sky could be had for 16K.

Sadly the GXP Solstice is still above the 16k mark with low miles...

Depending on the MY and Mileage GXP runs between $19k - 23k. I have been searching one.