NewsFeeder

First Drive: 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee redefines the Tipping Point

13 posts in this topic

NewsFeeder    9

Filed under: SUV, Jeep, First Drive, Off-Road

lead1jeepgrandcherokeefd2011.jpg
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee - click above for high-res image gallery

In the span of three years, Chrysler has been bought and sold more times than Duke Cunningham. Its warped "merger of equals" with Daimler ended in 2007 and the disastrous reign of incompetence extended into its relationship with Cerberus Capital Management - now a "bad word" within the hallowed halls of Chrysler, according to one exec.

After filing for bankruptcy in April of 2009, the reformed Chrysler Group partnered with the Italian automaking juggernauts at Fiat and have since rolled out a five-year business plan that's nothing if not unambitious.

But you didn't come here for an abbreviated history lesson on Chrysler and its failed suitors. You want to find out how your $6.6 billion in federal funding is being spent and if the company's products are finally up to snuff. Well, here's the short version: The 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee is the first Chrysler product since the 300 that deserves your attention. Follow the jump to find out why.

Photos by Damon Lavrinc / Copyright ©2010 Weblogs, Inc.

Continue reading First Drive: 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee redefines the Tipping Point

First Drive: 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee redefines the Tipping Point originally appeared on Autoblog on Sun, 20 Jun 2010 00:01:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=XyOXNgZc2NA:PP6Mp690uSU:wF9xT autoblog?i=XyOXNgZc2NA:PP6Mp690uSU:V_sGL
XyOXNgZc2NA

View the full article

Just as I said about the Durango/ Magnum, its as if Chrysler is getting back to where it left off when it actually designed good looking vehicles across pretty much all of it's brands during the 90's...pre-Daimler. This is a very good looking evolution of the second gen GC, and that interior is simple, yet quite stunning, especially considering the mess that was the interior of the previous generation. I sure hope Chrysler can continue this upward momentum.

I saw a dozen of them last night. Laredos and Limiteds. Saw a dark blue one up close (was locked)...it looks fantastic in person..the interior looks very classy, the exterior crisp and clean. Jeep has a promotion going on at the Pacific Amphitheatre at the Orange County Fair (Ca), they had a couple outside the gates on display, and on the hillside in a semi circle around the amphitheatre there were 10 or so, some up on dirt mounds or rocks...neat display.

thedriver    39

Two glaring errors that would be easily corrected if the reporter did the research:

1. It does NOT, I repeat NOT, ride a modified Mercedes platform. The SHARED platform was developed concurrently, with the M-Class coming to market first. That is all.

2. The V6 engine is not called "Phoenix", they decided to call it "Pentastar". I don't know exactly why, maybe someone already had the rights.

Other than that, a very well written article.

regfootball    234

i checked one out today. wasn't able to get inside, but peeking in and reviewing the outside, but its an evolution, not entirely a new look. tidy enough anyways, outside. leather inside looked buttery, seat shape looked very nice, but otherwise i did not get a chubby for the interior. The plastics looked about mid level and the design of all the elements looked rather safe and pedestrian. the armrests on the doors looked nice and soft and squishy. but like the detailing around the vents didn't appear 'jewellike' or anything. and the radio and climate button arrays were fairly common issue.

not to say any of it was bad. it just looked rather anonymous, and just 'good'. Not 'stunning' or 'fresh'.

The previous GC and Commander and even the current Liberty actually have decent interiors already. I don't think these are Audi level interiors here, and while they are upgrades, i don't think until i sit in one am ready to pronounce them major improvements inside like some of the PR fluff pieces are saying about the interior of these things.

Also, if this is at all a litmus of how the next gen 300 interior will turn out.........

Edited by regfootball
  • Downvote 3

PONTIAC06    22

I have to say, I test drove a Laredo X with the giant sunroof and was thoroughly impressed. It is a beautiful evolution of my current 2003. The interior materials were nice everywhere that I touched, but I do believe that in most of the magazines they are driving Overland's with leather wrapped dashes, real wood inlays, etc. The only thing I found cheesy in the one I tested was how shiny the faux wood trim was. No worse than most out there, but still one of the reasons why I'm not a big fan of faux wood trim. Would it keep me from buying it? No, but then again I am definitely biased when it comes to this vehicle. I'd really like to test drive a Limited with the new selecTerrain and air suspension but I don't think anyone is going to let me take their showroom piece where they would be useful :smilewide: