Buick planning up-level LaCrosse

wildcat

I think the profile is nice looking.  The interior's really, really nice.  I think with this interior, with a revised front end on our Lacrosse (waterfall grill), and the Enclave's 3.6L 270HP HFV6 as standard equipment, and the ES really be in trouble.  The only other thing it'd need is navi.

Posted Image

Posted Image

It has Navigation. If you look at the pictures of the interior and dash it appears to have the same nav unit that is now appearing in the GMT-900s and Enclave.

GM - are you listening? Give us this interior for the US Lacrosse.

Buick has a high reputation to uphold in China. They are a highly-regarded luxury brand there, are they not?

Still doesn't mean we should get the short end of the stick, though. <_<

You are correct, Sir. Buick has true lux standing in China. It's a very aspirational brand there, like Lexus is here. Infact, their reputation there is what GM's trying to achieve for Buick here.

You are correct, Sir.  Buick has true lux standing in China. It's a very aspirational brand there, like Lexus is here.  Infact, their reputation there is what GM's trying to achieve for Buick here.

If that is the case - then why not give us the same high quality interiors for our Lacrosse? It seems as though we received a LaCrosse that was conceived in the 90's both interior and exterior. It may have a quiet interior and of high quality - but it looks 10 years old. This Lacrosse looks current and contemproary - especially the interior. If GM wants Buick to be an aspirational brand, then they need to give us this kind of interior in the Lacrosse. The fact that you can't even get a navigation unit in the US Lacrosse is shameful.

I really can't wait to see what changes will actually be in store for the up-level LaCrosse. A definite refresh of the car is in order--even though it's only been out for 2 years now.

If that is the case - then why not give us the same high quality interiors for our Lacrosse?  It seems as though we received a LaCrosse that was conceived in the 90's both interior and exterior.  It may have a quiet interior and of high quality - but it looks 10 years old.  This Lacrosse looks current and contemproary - especially the interior.  If GM wants Buick to be an aspirational brand, then they need to give us this kind of interior in the Lacrosse.  The fact that you can't even get a navigation unit in the US Lacrosse is shameful.

Because you cheap-ass Americans won't pay for it and GM knows it. Every time they make a major upgrade with a price even close to what Toyota or Nissan charges you howl and complain they're it's $8K too much. You can't have it both ways. Be realistic This LaCrosse, with a base 3.5 L V6 instead of the 2.4, would probably need to cost over $30K in the US, and how many of you would really be willing to pay that much? Dealers would have conniptions without a cheaper model (perhaps a smaller 4-cylinder like the BLS) as well.

Because you cheap-ass Americans won't pay for it and GM knows it. Every time they make a major upgrade with a price even close to what Toyota or Nissan charges you howl and complain they're it's $8K too much. You can't have it both ways. Be realistic This LaCrosse, with a base 3.5 L V6 instead of the 2.4, would probably need to cost over $30K in the US, and how many of you would really be willing to pay that much? Dealers would have conniptions without a cheaper model (perhaps a smaller 4-cylinder like the BLS) as well.

I call BS on this. Even those prices are still a couple grand cheaper than the Lexus ES. And the car looks no worse than an ES. All GM would have to do is give it a new name, have a big ad campaign involving an "all-new" "mystery car" (no badging, nothing giving it away...just a few stealth shots) that will be revealed at a specific date...that will generate buzz. Re-introduce "When Better Cars Are Built, Buick Will Build Them." Don't offer it as a replacement for anything (hence the name change). I think if done carefully it could be made to work. Again, Americans seem to have no problems spending more on Lexus ESs. Griffon, when the American manufacturers have tried to price vehicles close to Honda and Toyota, they are $8k too expensive because the cars aren't worth that much. The SRX is right in line with other vehicles in its class but my God that interior is atrocious-looking. The MCE better be good...

I honestly am really surprised at the 2 threads on this (I started with this one so I'm just sticking posting on this one). The exterior screams unoriginality. Buick should not become the Hyundai of lower end luxury vehicles.

The interior is very nice though. I agree most of the way it looks should be in a Buick. My gripe is not with that. But the exterior- come on guys- that says every other japanese company out there plus some Montego in there. This is honestly what this forum wants for exterior styling? It's already out there for you- go buy them.

I honestly am really surprised at the 2 threads on this (I started with this one so I'm just sticking posting on this one). The exterior screams unoriginality. Buick should not become the Hyundai of lower end luxury vehicles.

The interior is very nice though. I agree most of the way it looks should be in a Buick. My gripe is not with that. But the exterior- come on guys- that says every other japanese company out there plus some Montego in there. This is honestly what this forum wants for exterior styling? It's already out there for you- go buy them.

I agree with you on this... the exterior is horrible.

We complain because the vehicles have never truly been up to par to the competition. G6 gets a price increase, but the interior design/quality still suffers, also uses a vastly lower powered engine compared to competition. Lacrosse gets price increase, same realities here, the car doesn't "feel" like it should cost that much. It's not up to the bar totally set by others, and so it should be priced where it is, under the competition.

Aura will be the next American car to show what Americans will pay when provided with an attractive, desirable choice with the right quality and features. Until then, this point is rather moot, since there are cars people are willing to pay for, they're the desirable ones, Tahoe goes for list now, Solstice, Vette, etc, etc.

Finally, what is it that would constitute such a gross price increase over our Lacrosse. All I see in that car, besides content I'm not really asking for in a base Lacrosse, are quality materials, that may cost GM an extra $200, and care for detail. W-body basing over 30k, I just could never imagine that. In terms of dynamics, this platform has achieved a lot, but it has well been paid for long ago, and is severly outclassed in certain respects. The exterior is the only other difference, but what does it cost GM to refine thier designs a bit more? Nothing.

I think a lot of people are getting confused.

THIS IS NOT THE NEXT LACROSSE. This is the Chinese LaCrosse. Not available in the United States. Nothing short of a miracle will bring it to the United States either. The LaCrosse is new enough that that design would be way out of style by the time it was produced here.

Is that your Cutlass?  Nice car. I told the Dingbat working at the Buick display at the NY auto show that car should get a V8, maybe she listened she told me she worked for Buick in MI , I would rather have that Cutlass.

i would rather have that Cutlass over 98% of the bland rubbish on out roadways today myself. That was when cars actually had style and interior colors other than tan/black and gray! :P

Guest YellowJacket894

Hey, a thought just struck me. Since this is a W-Body and there is a plant here in North America, copes of all the dies, molds, etc. could be sent to the North America factory and the LaCrosse could be given a cheap -- or maybe not -- overhaul instead of a mild refresh that will, most likely, make the current product look like &#036;h&#33;. I remember the pictures that C&G had posted about 2 months ago for the Super and the grille was very, let's say, sharp edged. The current LaCrosse is very rounded, and those two things, sharp edges and curves, do not mesh well.

Plus, since this is a W-Body, the 5.3 liter V8 will go in like a charm.

i would rather have that Cutlass over 98% of the bland rubbish on out roadways today myself. That was when cars actually had style and interior colors other than tan/black and gray! :P

I love my dark blue interior :)

And I love my dad's maroon interior. Miss having those options!

We complain because the vehicles have never truly been up to par to the competition. …

… Finally, what is it that would constitute such a gross price increase over our Lacrosse. All I see in that car, besides content I'm not really asking for in a base Lacrosse, are quality materials, that may cost GM an extra $200, and care for detail. W-body basing over 30k, I just could never imagine that. In terms of dynamics, this platform has achieved a lot, but it has well been paid for long ago, and is severly outclassed in certain respects. The exterior is the only other difference, but what does it cost GM to refine thier designs a bit more? Nothing.

You make my case for me, making it clear that you wouldn't pay what is required even for this much nicer Chinese LaCrosse. Clearly you don't want a Buick that deserves to cost more than the current cheap LaCrosse, so you can't complain if that's all you get.

I had the misfortune of sitting in on the funeral that passed for the most recent big BPG dealer meeting.

--Saw the Super: it's very attractive, and a major step toward correcting the incredible, overwhelming blandness of LAX. Sadly, GM thinks that this will be a premium version, deserving of a pricing premium. The dealers thought that GM should get real and simply make this a running change and forget trying to create a halo version of a marginal vehicle.

--GM admitted that the old "Kill 2, Replace 1" strategy of whacking 2 sedans and replacing them with one (e.g. Lucerne) has....resulting in exactly 50% of the sales that the two cars delivered. I recall that the Lucerne is selling at something like 4K/month, and that GM is hoping to at least double that this year. I say "good luck to you, gentlemen."

Not to take this very good thread off on a tangent, but there was a real feeling of desperation in the air in that meeting. You get the clear impression that GM has a very clear plan for Chevy, Saturn, and Caddy, but not a clue in hell what to do with BPG. It's almost like they wish it didn't cost so much to terminate a division.....

I had the misfortune of sitting in on the funeral that passed for the most recent big BPG dealer meeting. 

--Saw the Super:  it's very attractive, and a major step toward correcting the incredible, overwhelming blandness of LAX.  Sadly, GM thinks that this will be a premium version, deserving of a pricing premium.  The dealers thought that GM should get real and simply make this a running change and forget trying to create a halo version of a marginal vehicle.

Okay, you saw the Super... can you tell me if you heard any news about a refresh for the non-Super versions? Like, will there be a grille change for the others? And maybe a body-colored grille for the Super?

I'm sorry to hear about the pricing for the Super being high, because I would have thought with GM's new pricing strategy, they would have come down a little.

You make my case for me, making it clear that you wouldn't pay what is required even for this much nicer Chinese LaCrosse. Clearly you don't want a Buick that deserves to cost more than the current cheap LaCrosse, so you can't complain if that's all you get.

hmm....I do want a Buick that deserves to cost more, I guess I'm just missing it with the Chinese Lacrosse. I could understand a couple thousand more than our Lacrosse, but in my mind, being based off the W-body and all I could not picture it being a lot more expensive, especially when what I am looking at is essentially an exterior redesign and an interior refresh...

hmm....I do want a Buick that deserves to cost more, I guess I'm just missing it with the Chinese Lacrosse. I could understand a couple thousand more than our Lacrosse, but in my mind, being based off the W-body and all I could not picture it being a lot more expensive, especially when what I am looking at is essentially an exterior redesign and an interior refresh...

What exactly dissuades you from the W-body besides the fact that you know its been around for awhile? All W-cars have good interior room, good trunk space, and up-to-date safety features. So what's the problem?

Sometimes I wish GM would disguise their platforms' age as well as Toyota does.

What exactly dissuades you from the W-body besides the fact that you know its been around for awhile? All W-cars have good interior room, good trunk space, and up-to-date safety features. So what's the problem?

Sometimes I wish GM would disguise their platforms' age as well as Toyota does.

interior space, overall bulk and inefficiency using that space [this may not be a big deal to you, but when parking and manueverability matters in a huge overpopulated city, it becomes a higher priority to get the most out of less, that's part of the reason why Honda keeps gaining so many sales here and in other cities], overall driving dynamics are good, but still lagging the class leaders....other than this the only thing that dissuades me has been the execution of the cars, which as we all know isn't just about the platform itself.

I think Americans would pay about $34k for the Chinese LaCrosse that is pictured (with leather and looks like it's pretty loaded) and the 3.6. The CXS is already $34k if it's loaded. The LaCrosses that are cheap are the ones with cloth and not many features or options. If they decontented the Chinese LaCrosse and gave it cloth, less standard features, etc., then I think people would still pay about $25-26k for it. Leather models could start about $27k with not a whole lot of features.

I think Americans would pay about $34k for the Chinese LaCrosse that is pictured (with leather and looks like it's pretty loaded) and the 3.6. The CXS is already $34k if it's loaded. The LaCrosses that are cheap are the ones with cloth and not many features or options. If they decontented the Chinese LaCrosse and gave it cloth, less standard features, etc., then I think people would still pay about $25-26k for it. Leather models could start about $27k with not a whole lot of features.

And the collective admirers of Buick, past and present, would cringe at it's arrival. If Buick is to continue in its pursuit of Lexus-like respectability in the entry luxury segment, this would not champion the cause. Just a glance at its familar rectangluar shape(see prior post with picture comparos with the now defunct Mercury Sable) is enough to turn many perspective buyers, like myself, dead cold. While I am no fan of the fish-eyed look of the Lacrosse, I find the higher end models--particularly the black-on-black, chromed rimmed model-- to be quite substantial looking. Just the other day coming out of a hotel, my female co-worker who happens to be 26 yrs old, saw a grey cxs parked out front and remarked ''thats a fancy looking buick''. A clue that buick is getting closer to another goal of theirs: establish a stronger following with the pre-AARP crowd. The interior of the chinese LAX definetly gets high marks though and the wood looks richer than the simulated wood in the US Lacrosse. On another note, I seriously hope that GM decides to freshen the entire Lacrosse line. Though I have read an all-new version is being developed for 09(I think) Buick must continue to claw back market share with fresh product line. Take the Chevy Malibu for example, the new treatment to the front fascia make for a vast improvement to it's overall appearance. Further, new owners can distinguish themselves from older model year owners-a very valid concern for car shoppers. I hope Buick's corporate brass will consider this for the coming model year.........

And the collective admirers of Buick, past and present, would cringe at it's arrival. If Buick is to continue in its pursuit of Lexus-like respectability in the entry luxury segment, this would not champion the cause. Just a glance at its familar rectangluar shape(see prior post with picture comparos with the now defunct Mercury Sable) is enough to turn many perspective buyers, like myself, dead cold. While I am no fan of the fish-eyed look of the Lacrosse, I find the higher end models--particularly the black-on-black, chromed rimmed model-- to be quite substantial looking. Just the other day coming out of a hotel, my female co-worker who happens to be 26 yrs old, saw a grey cxs parked out front and remarked ''thats a fancy looking buick''. A clue that buick is getting closer to another goal of theirs: establish a stronger following with the pre-AARP crowd. The interior of the chinese LAX definetly gets high marks though and the wood looks richer than the simulated wood in the US Lacrosse. On another note, I seriously hope that GM decides to freshen the entire Lacrosse line. Though I have read an all-new version is being developed for 09(I think) Buick must continue to claw back market share with fresh product line. Take the Chevy Malibu for example, the new treatment to the front fascia make for a vast improvement to it's overall appearance. Further, new owners can distinguish themselves from older model year owners-a very valid concern for car shoppers. I hope Buick's corporate brass will consider this for the coming model year.........

Yes, thank you, I thought I was the only one.