Sign in to follow this  
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

HARVARD STUDY SAYS OBAMA SEEKS $7 A GALLON GAS

HARVARD STUDY SAYS OBAMA SEEKS $7 A GALLON GAS

By Mark Kleis

As the disaster in the Gulf of Mexico worsens daily, talk is increasing concerning the need to address “global warming,” despite the obvious disconnect between the required solutions for the two problems.

The Harvard Study, as discussed in the New York Post, points to White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanual’s well known quote in which he suggests, “You never want a serious crisis to go to waste – and what I mean by that is it’s an opportunity to do things that you think you could not do before.”

The New York Post is referring to the resurgence of the cap-and-trade bill which was introduced last year, and found to be very unpopular with the American people who did not take kindly to the idea of drastically increased costs of fuel and electricity. When the original cap-and-trade bill failed to gain traction, the Obama administration then began to push the benefits from the bill by labeling it as a “green jobs” bill.

The green jobs push proved to be equally unpopular, as Americans took notice of the extreme failure of similar initiatives in Spain, which required an average of $774,000 in government subsidies for each green job position created. The bill would also target the clean coal, oil and natural gas production within the U.S. – further damaging the economy and reducing jobs.

Gulf spill reignites fire behind cap-and-trade

With the massive negative publicity surrounding the current disaster taking place in the Gulf as a result of an oil rig explosion, the Obama administration is yet again hoping to re-open talks of passing a cap-and-trade bill. Obama believes that cap-and-trade would help to avoid future oil spills by pushing people away from using oil due to the dramatically increased costs through new taxes.

The Harvard Kennedy School’s Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs suggested that it “may require gas prices greater than $7 a gallon by 2020″ in order to meet Obama’s proposed goal of reducing emissions by 14 percent in the transportation sector.

link:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/harvard-study-says-obama-seeks-7-a-gallon-gas.html

Penalties and limits don't efficiently create change. They go against the American spirit. You can cap and trade industry to try and get them to convert over to clean technologies, such as solar, but they will lobby until the cows come home and complain the entire way. The best way to get industry to "go green" is to make it cheaper for them to do so. Since government subsidization isn't sustainable, the only solution is to advance solar (and other green) technologies until they are the most economical. This will require numerous breakthroughs from where things currently are.

Talking heads like to yammer on about "tapping into America's entrepreneurial spirit" to achieve things like advancing technology, but they rarely provide methods for doing so. Here's one method: Create a "Solar Race", which will be a series of events held several times a year, every year, in which hobbyists, companies, and public organizations compete to create better solar power devices. The events will be televised in a way that has mass appeal (reality TV perhaps) and the prize money will be substantial (paid for with the gas tax of course ;-]).

The events will take many different forms to appeal to different markets. One event could be a race across the desert or the ocean in a solar powered vehicle. Another could be a race around a popular Nascar track, or a top speed race. Another could be to create the best solar power generator. Etc. The winner gets money to continue research, and the amount of the prize money is based on what level the winner was able to achieve (that way if everyone sucked the least sucky person wouldn't get a large amount of money).

• Upvote 3

Penalties and limits don't efficiently create change. They go against the American spirit. You can cap and trade industry to try and get them to convert over to clean technologies, such as solar, but they will lobby until the cows come home and complain the entire way. The best way to get industry to "go green" is to make it cheaper for them to do so. Since government subsidization isn't sustainable, the only solution is to advance solar (and other green) technologies until they are the most economical. This will require numerous breakthroughs from where things currently are.

Talking heads like to yammer on about "tapping into America's entrepreneurial spirit" to achieve things like advancing technology, but they rarely provide methods for doing so. Here's one method: Create a "Solar Race", which will be a series of events held several times a year, every year, in which hobbyists, companies, and public organizations compete to create better solar power devices. The events will be televised in a way that has mass appeal (reality TV perhaps) and the prize money will be substantial (paid for with the gas tax of course ;-]).

The events will take many different forms to appeal to different markets. One event could be a race across the desert or the ocean in a solar powered vehicle. Another could be a race around a popular Nascar track, or a top speed race. Another could be to create the best solar power generator. Etc. The winner gets money to continue research, and the amount of the prize money is based on what level the winner was able to achieve (that way if everyone sucked the least sucky person wouldn't get a large amount of money).

I'd like to nominate you and Olds for Office.

• Upvote 1

Carbon taxes on products like gasoline are good economics, as long as they are revenue neutral.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We actually already do much of what you proposed already.... it just doesn't get press time because it lacks flare.

Which annoys me to the ends of the Earth. People sit there and watch reality and drama TV, which is mostly garbage. Why do they do it? Who knows. Our society is messed up and lazy. At the very least they could watch a documentary or something.

Another idea I had was for the government to lower the sales tax and raise the gas tax. Do it so that the overall taxes leveled out, but people would be paying more of it into gas and less elsewhere. No change in people's financial situations at first, and they'd have an incentive to cut down on gas usage.

• Upvote 1

What about installing a $0.10 clean energy tax on oil products. 10 cents per gallon, 10 cents per quart of engine oil, etc. This is a fairly minor hit to consumers, yet would generate something like 10-20 billion dollars in revenue per year. Use 100% of the tax to fund clean energy R&D with a focus on bringing the cost down to the point where it is beneficial to use solar panels or wind instead of traditional fuel-burning energy.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What about installing a $0.10 clean energy tax on oil products. 10 cents per gallon, 10 cents per quart of engine oil, etc. This is a fairly minor hit to consumers, yet would generate something like 10-20 billion dollars in revenue per year. Use 100% of the tax to fund clean energy R&D with a focus on bringing the cost down to the point where it is beneficial to use solar panels or wind instead of traditional fuel-burning energy.

and whom would this hurt the most? the poor and the elderly on fixed incomes that still like to get out and drive their cars.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Best idea yet. Got my vote too.

• Downvote 1

and whom would this hurt the most? the poor and the elderly on fixed incomes that still like to get out and drive their cars.

Does it really matter? Neither of these should be driving anyways (yeah, I know it sounds bad)

One set is often too dangerous to drive, other other often driving cars that are dangerous (shape wise)

Along with the usual morons, we need less drivers on the road anyways....

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

nice post

again i would be fine with this. i am not opposed to a modest tax increase on oil to fund incentives or R&D for new diversified technologies.

• Downvote 1

Does it really matter? Neither of these should be driving anyways (yeah, I know it sounds bad) One set is often too dangerous to drive, other other often driving cars that are dangerous (shape wise)
Stereotypes. There are many older folks just fine to drive. Some of the slowest, most dimwitted drivers I know are have been under 30... mowing over anything and everything and then just driving away. As for the poor, another stereotype... there are plenty of 'working poor' that have a brand new or nearly brand new car... and can barely afford to insure it or put gas in it.
Along with the usual morons, we need less drivers on the road anyways....
OK... I'm up for getting rid of the morons... Mandatory driver testing every N years... physical and mental. It'll be a 6 hour written test, in English, covering the law, driver etiquette, driver theory, and the basics of how the car works. Since that is going to tie up the DMV, we need to raise the bar of entry... only people who paid $30K a year or more to Uncle Sam in taxes can apply to drive. Careful what you wish for... the people actually running this country are much richer than anyone on this website. Can you imagine the mindset change at your average CPA to get them to _INCREASE_ your taxes due just to allow people to get a license... LOL. ... Anyway, I'm up for a serious driver testing, as I can out test 99% of the people on the road. I'm not really up for limiting driving to the rich, that part is JK. Edited by SAmadei
  • Upvote 1

Does it really matter?

you would be instituting a tax that would make life harder on a fair part of the population. many of those people have jobs that practically require to have a car, and while many of those people do make bad life decisions, making a tax will only let them beable to point a finger at why they'll have to work more hours, or cut back on necessities, as apposed to not being able to via the market system. pointing fingers causes unrest, not being able to and having compassion builds society, through personal charity.

not that i'm against more strict driving tests

Stereotypes.

yup.

+1 for funny post though. :)

Edited by loki
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Stereotypes. There are many older folks just fine to drive. Some of the slowest, most dimwitted drivers I know are have been under 30... mowing over anything and everything and then just driving away. As for the poor, another stereotype... there are plenty of 'working poor' that have a brand new or nearly brand new car... and can barely afford to insure it or put gas in it. OK... I'm up for getting rid of the morons... Mandatory driver testing every N years... physical and mental. It'll be a 6 hour written test, in English, covering the law, driver etiquette, driver theory, and the basics of how the car works. Since that is going to tie up the DMV, we need to raise the bar of entry... only people who paid $30K a year or more to Uncle Sam in taxes can apply to drive. Careful what you wish for... the people actually running this country are much richer than anyone on this website. Can you imagine the mindset change at your average CPA to get them to _INCREASE_ your taxes due just to allow people to get a license... LOL. ... Anyway, I'm up for a serious driver testing, as I can out test 99% of the people on the road. I'm not really up for limiting driving to the rich, that part is JK.

True...(hence my knowing it came out bad.) But at times hard ones to shake.... I'd much rather see more bus use there....

Man o man, could we use a good test around here....

you would be instituting a tax that would make life harder on a fair part of the population. many of those people have jobs that practically require to have a car, and while many of those people do make bad life decisions, making a tax will only let them beable to point a finger at why they'll have to work more hours, or cut back on necessities, as apposed to not being able to via the market system. pointing fingers causes unrest, not being able to and having compassion builds society, through personal charity.

not that i'm against more strict driving tests

yup.

+1 for funny post though. smile.gif

Yeah, but at some point, we can't look out for everyone. People have to learn to take care of themselves. (I'll just leave it at that, or it will end up in the political section) But I understand what you mean...

I like the strict driving tests.....

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook