Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Buh-bye Seville

I know I'm late to the party, but have you checked out the Mercury Marauder? Just like a CV, except with more power and better handling! Also, since many were bought in the hopes that the car would one day become collectible, they usually have low miles and are well maintained. And this search shows that there are a few around for under $20K (NOTE: Since I'm from Canada, I didn't know what to use for the Zip code, so I looked one up for Boston when I did this search):

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searchresult...02101&x=49&y=11

The Infiniti Q-ship is also a sweet ride. The pre-'97 models had more power, but were rougher around the edges than the '97-'00 models, which were refined to better imitate the Q45's far more successful cross-town rivial, the Lexus LS400. The trouble, of course, is finding one; the Q45 was never a big seller. When/if you do find one, though, you'll be able to get it for a good price; they've depreciated way faster than the LS.

Edited by Petra

I so very desperately want to keep my next purchase RWD, the practicality of what is available out there in the real world in the classified ads and on ebay is a different story however.

Empowah:

Funny you should mention Audi A8... there's a loaded 2003 A6 4.2 on the local INfiniti dealer's lot. The salesman is super enthusiastic abotu even driving it out to ME so I can take a look at it. It's got 106K on it though.

High miles combined wiht VW/Audi electronic gremlins scare me somewhat however. :unsure:

At presant the new desirablility standing are as follows:

1. Any 1994-1996 B-body I can get Marcia to like

2. 1997-2001 Infiniti Q45 (thanks Variance)

3. Any BMW wiht a 5-speed I can get Marcia to "settle" for. <_<

I had to meet with a client in Boston yesterday and while driving on Memorial drive at sunset and soaking up the gorgeous scenary that is Boston, I saw a 2003? Park Ave Ultra. SOmehow the fact that the car if FWD can not offset how GOR-GE-OUS it is. :wub: x 1,000,000. Too bad Marcia is such a wet blanket and will not consider one. :nono:

I can see the headline now:  "Man Arrested for Strapping Toddler to Back of ATV"

:lol:

Thanks for the vote of confidence Enzora. ^_^

If this was RWD it would be my #1 Choice right now. White-diamond has a way of making me all warm & fuzzy inside. Marcia thinks it's a little too "Gradmaish" for her but I think she should at least test drive it. I'm pretty sure the car is worth the money all day long.

1996 Cadillac Sedan Deville $ 8,995

Exterior Color Pearl White

Mileage 68,700 Miles

Engine 4.6 liter V8 - Northstar

Transmission Automatic :(

Posted Image

Super Cheap (even by my standards) & very tempting. My personal #1 choice. I'd slap the newer Touring edition rims and the newer 2001-style headlights on this bad boy and call it a day. (all factory not some aftermarket Riceroni)

1997 Infiniti Q45 $ 7,495

Exterior Color Black

Mileage 103,700 Miles

Engine 4.1 liter V-8 Fuel Injected

Transmission Automatic With Overdrive :(

Posted Image

Edited by Sixty8panther

How about a Fleetwood Brougham?

Like I meantioned, I would LOVE a '94-'96 Fleetwood Brougham but the G/F will not even consider one. Her only objection is the "Grandma Styling". :(

We wrote out a $1000 deposit check les than two hours ago on a car mentioned in this thread. I'm happy, she's happy & if all pans out with the financing we'll be picking it up tomorrow. Until then I'll leave you guys in suspense.... I wonder who will guess the right car I bought. Well, unlike the STS which was legaly mine in terms of finacing & reg. this new-used car will be in Marcia's name.

So what do you guys think? Any guesses? :pbjtime:

Just one hint: I "sold out" to one evil while maintaining my strongly valued princliples in another aspect. Sound vague? it should.

Edited by Sixty8panther

Remove all badging indicating the car is a Buick.....

Wow, why didn't I think of that? :scratchchin:

Variance is "right on" without giving away the answer. 8)

Guest YellowJacket894

Where are you at again YJ? I'm thinking down south because here in New England the prices are much higher from what I've seen. G35 sedan & coupe is a possibility too, I love the copes styling and perhaps Marcia would deal wiht the lack of 4 doors. :ph34r:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Although I hate to admit it (saying the name leaves a bitter taste in my mouth), I live in Kentucky. But not anywhere near the coal fields where people lack shoes and "da booksmarts". I live in Lexington which is a decently sized city.

I was born in Manchester, WA, though.

Alright, here's a few clues.

1. It's NOT a diesel Bustleback Seville...

2. It has a 4.1 liter V8

3. GVWR is 4899lbs.

4. Overdrive Automatic

5. Tinted Windows

WMJ:

Nope, but my neighbor has one of those... a silver '88.

Yup! :D Picking it up on Monday if all goes as planned.

Before I go defendnig the purchase let me say this. I was only 50% of the decision and Marcia puts up with a lot of my $hit so the car she drives shuld be up to her... BUT since she respects my opinion she decided to go with a car that we could both want to drive. As it happens al the BMW 3/5-series & MB e-classes we could afford ddi nt appeal to her at all. When I showed her the pic of the Q and read her the specs she was blown away at the price.

It comes down to this: My love for RWD is stronger than my dislike of Japanese cars and love for Cadillacs. If we could have afforded a used RWD STS, Chrysler 300 or even a used Charger than things would be different.

Here's a few pics. :wub: Look at how mint it is, that photo from their website is crap.

Posted Image

Edited by Sixty8panther

Congrats, Sixty8. Looks nice, but it really needs the nicer looking headlights and wheels. Then it'd be... well, about as perfect as that particular Q45 could possibly get. :D Damn, though. You have a Datsun Maxima and soon an Infiniti Q45. Now all you have American is your Camaro, right? "Who would have thought it?" :P

Yeah the polished aluminum strut tower brace i sa nice touch. The quality & craftsmanship is pretty much on par with the STS, some things are nicer others are not... but the RWD layout is worth a $1500 hit on my vandalized trade. I have nothing bad to say abtou the STS or Cadillac in general. If we could have afforded a 2004 STS or CTS-V then we'd be driving that but that was not meant to be when we need a car payment of less than $250 right now. Buying a house is more important than having an almost brand new car.

ONe thing I'll say is that the No* has more balls in the low range but at like 5000rpm that little 4.1 starts really cooking. It's probably good for 155mph. The Infiniti is not as quick and there is some throttle delay but overall the car is a perfect fit for Marcia. The seats are comfortable to her and that's super important with her severe back/disk/spine problems.

Also god forbid some jackass in an SUV T-bones the Q it's heavy and sturdy, seems like a nice safe car for our most preciosu cargo. I'm willing to bet it matches the DTS in safety.

I see I was right and you chose the Japanese Buick.

Yes you were. It's a great way to put it, Japanese Buick. :P

Several times in my search for a nice Q45 I was told by salesman that they could get me into a nice Lexus or Acura & I always cut them off and told them that it was not even a remote possibility. I'm not selling out to the two brands that I consider the evil empire.

Although we're almost certainly just tying up loose ends on MOnday and taking this Q the Infiniti dealer less than 7 miles away traded a 1997 Q45 Friday btu the car will not be on the lot until Mon. because of the Blizzard. I'm wondering weather I should go at least take a look at it. It's got 9,000 more miles though.

BV: who would have though it is right. But hey, my future 1959 Buick will be cool enough for all three cars. It wil balance out the fung-schway in my driveway. (sp?)

The wheels are staying put. I like them. Those rims belong on that car... and I'm too cheap to buy the ones I'd want to if I was going to go with aftermarket. Either way nothing bigger than 17s or possibly 18s. The one thing you read my mind about is the headlights. One of them had a tiny bit of moisture so it's a great excuse to get the later HIDs off of a 2000/2001. :)

Also god forbid some jackass in an SUV T-bones the Q it's heavy and sturdy, seems like a nice safe car for our most preciosu cargo. I'm willing to bet it matches the DTS in safety.

No.

You say DTS, likely referring to the current DeVille, in which case, absolutely not. In relation to a '97 DeVille, I can't say exactly as NHTSA star ratings aren't available for any Q for some reason. 1997 DeVilles received 4-stars all around.

As far as the the Q itself, check to when exactly yours was made. If manufactured in March, 1997 or later, then it apparently was built with more safety enhancements than those manufactured before including side airbags. In either case, it earned a Marginal.

1997-2001 Q45 @ IIHS

Pretty nice. It looks to be in good shape for a 10-year old car. I see newer Kias in worse shape.

EDIT: In retrospect, that sounds like damning with faint praise (Kias aren't really the pinnacle of quality) but really it is meant to be a compliment. :AH-HA_wink:

Edited by Variance

Variance:

Don't apologize, I know what you meant. :wink:

Once again I'll take this opportunity to thank you for the suggestion of the Q45. Chances are slim I would have prusued it without your suggestion. This is a perfect case of how cool our C&G family is. I have to admit I was very narrow minded in my search at first. Japanese cars were out. Not even being considered. I told myself when I bought the Datsun last year that if I ever bought another Import it would be something German. Either a BMW, Mercedes or Porsche.

But the reality of the stuation is that for the same amount of money as this Q most of the BMWs and MBs were nowhere near as good values. Marcia is spoiled. The STS has awsome ergonomics. The heated seats, dual zone climate control, BOSE sound system & luxury-meets-sporty feel of the car were something she kept asking for. I trully beleive that the Q embodies these elements better than any of the dozens of vehicles I looked into for her. Hypotheticals aside the reality is that this car represente the best value.

I posted this thread, got great advice & now as a result I don't have to bitch about the Deville's FWD & Marcia doesn't have to complain about having to drive a car with the "Grandma" image. As soon as I saw that photo of the 1999 Q45 you posted something inside me clicked... if it was not for Marcia's love for Cadillacs I would not have even looked into the Deville at all.

So hat's off to you buddy! :cheers:

Nick:

This car is not a classic 1959 Buick or 1961 Caddy. If it's totaled in a bad wreck so be it. My family is not able to be replaced by a check from Commerce Insurance. A big factor in choosing a vehicle for Marcia was makign sure that little 32 lbs. of Precious cargo in the back seat is safe.

Fly:

Thanks for the link. It seems that a lot of cars form the 1990s get a marginal or poor rating. According to these results death is innevidable in my Datsun in any accident involving speeds of more than 15mph. Even if the other vehicle is a shopping cart. :P

If you shut the rear door on the Infiniti you'd know what I meant.... not in an offset frontal crash into a barrier but in a T-bone situation the cars's doors & B-pillar seem stronger than anything short of a MB S500.

BV:

Those Avalon-ish headlights will be replaced by the newer 1999-2001 style lamps as soon as I have some expendabl;e income on ebay.

Posted Image

Edited by Sixty8panther

Nick:

This car is not a classic 1959 Buick or 1961 Caddy. If it's totaled in a bad wreck so be it. My family is not able to be replaced by a check from Commerce Insurance. A big factor in choosing a vehicle for Marcia was makign sure that little 32 lbs. of Precious cargo in the back seat is safe.

I realize that...sorry, if I came off the wrong way or something...I was just going off of what Fly was saying...I was just basically thinking out loud...I've really never given much thought to it before, but say I was to put a strut brace on my car, which will happen eventually, if the car was ever to get even a slight hit from the side (god forbid), a hit that wouldn't normally total a car if it didn't have a strut brace, could very well total the car if it did have a strut brace...I could just picture the damages now...and boy they don't look pretty... :duh: Edited by Nick

I realize that...sorry, if I came off the wrong way or something...

Dude, don't apologize, I'm just yakkin out loud too. The irony is I have more of a fear of the Datsun being totalled since it even more rare and is SUCH a weird car. You'd never know it by the way I treat it sometimes. I think I subconsciously want to punish it for being Japanese. :P

Datsun Abuse

You're right, the force of impact would be transfered through the brace and into the suspension etc. but in any case modern cars are F*** when they're hit hard. A tap of the fender is $3000, once the chassis & suspension mount points are effected on these high end luxury cars you're talking about lazer-guided frame pulling machines & special ordered parts from overseas. I'd hate to be the poor schmuck to have to fix a stuffed Audi A8 or Acura NSX. Of course the fantastic pay probably eases the frustration.

Edited by Sixty8panther

Looks like I called this one.

Hope it works out for you, too bad you didn't find the right ImpalaSS.

Yes you did, I hope you're not too pissed at me for seling out... :ph34r:

Hey, wait a minute you have a Jaguar. The British Killed our men in the American Revolution and you also own a Maseratti. Rememebr that I-talian guy by the name of Musolini? :mellow:

[/clutching_at_straws]

Edited by Sixty8panther

You got me there... good job for destroying that Honda. :D