NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Ten Cars With Faces Only A Mother Could Love

15 posts in this topic

The greatest car can be ruined by an ungainly snout. These are the ten cars you thought possessed the soul of a champion — and the face of a failure.

This is Answers of the Day — a feature where we take the best ten responses from the previous day's Question of the Day and shine it up to show off. It's by you and for you, the Jalopnik readers. Enjoy!

Want to see this gallery in one slow-to-load page? Click here.

link directly to this page:

http://jalopnik.com/5572622//gallery/gallery/1

read more: #answersoftheday, #topten, #aotd, #listicle, #uglycars

FUTURE_OF_GM    26

I like the EVO, the Lambo and the Bentley.

It's too bad that our society discourages individuality so much. A lot of today's cars, especially GM models are so bland and homogenious that it's sad.

Intrepidation    846

Are these guys retarded? Must be as the lists you keep churning out since they have nothing better to do (like real news) are getting more and more ridiculous. The Reventon? Seriously? That is one of the coolest cars ever built. The Evo looks mean and purposeful, and if you have a problem with it's big grill than every Audi for the last few years and most VWs until recently belong on that list. The Bentley? Yeah the outboard headlights are afterthoughts at best, but it's not hideous.

These 3 slots could easily have been filled with cars that were actually ugly.

I hate it when people who don't know a damn thing about design spew this sort of crap out of their mouth as though it were based on fact, not their own opinion.

SAmadei    224

I've always nominated the Renau' Fueygho for all 'round uglyness.

Funny. I've always felt that was one of the most attractive French cars up until recently.

• Upvote 1

Are these guys retarded? Must be as the lists you keep churning out since they have nothing better to do (like real news) are getting more and more ridiculous.

It's summertime...lots of slow news days..

Funny. I've always felt that was one of the most attractive French cars up until recently.

I like it also...my favorite French design probably is the Citroen SM, followed by the DS..like the Alpine A110 and A310 also.

I love the Renault Avantime for it's pure audacity (2dr ht minivan!). It was one of those designs that just looked like it was from 20 years in the future...

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Blake Noble    146

To me:

1. The top half of the car looks severly bloated from that front 3/4 angle, kind of like a balloon half way filled with flatulence.

2. The front end reminds me of this:

1719.jpg

3. I don't know what's up with the ribbed plastic that runs around most of the lower belt line of the car. Not even Pontiac put ribbing up that high.

Styling is subjective as always, though.

Edited by whiteknight

SAmadei    224

I like it also...my favorite French design probably is the Citroen SM, followed by the DS..like the Alpine A110 and A310 also.

I really can't say I ever liked the SM or DS much. OTOH, I had COMPLETELY forgotten about the Alpine. I really liked the A310.

To me:

1. The top half of the car looks severly bloated from that front 3/4 angle, kind of like a balloon half way filled with flatulence.

Looks at picture of Fuego... Are we looking at the same car?!?

*Looks at Fuego picture*

*Looks at Sea Lion picture*

*Looks at Fuego picture*

*Looks at Fuego picture*

*Looks at Fuego picture*

*Looks at Fuego picture*

*Looks at Fuego picture*

I'm just not seeing it.

3. I don't know what's up with the ribbed plastic that runs around most of the lower belt line of the car. Not even Pontiac put ribbing up that high.

Well, the Fuego ribbing was really chintzy up close. At least Pontiac's cladding didn't look like it came out of a toy factory.

Stylistically, the ribbing is the most odd part of the Fuego. Most contemporaries didn't look radically different... Dodge Daytona,Dodge Omni 024, Mitsu Starion, Porsche 924, etc.

Styling is subjective as always, though.

It is. I'm not saying your wrong... but you can't fairly judge styling against different eras.

Intrepidation    846

To me:

I don't see it either.

*Looks at Fuego picture*

*Looks at Fuego picture*

*Looks at Fuego picture*

*Looks at Fuego picture*

*Looks at Fuego picture*

*Looks at Fuego picture*

I'm just not seeing it.

Neither do I.

Blake Noble    146

I really can't say I ever liked the SM or DS much. OTOH, I had COMPLETELY forgotten about the Alpine. I really liked the A310.

The Alpine was really cool.

Indeed we are.

I'll amend my statement, though. It looks bloated from most every angle.

Renault_Fuego_GTX_2.0_1981.jpg

It's really the glass to metal ratio of the whole design. It's not as bad as an AMC Pacer ... though that's what this car is starting to make me think of: a better designed AMC Pacer (and that's not saying much).

It doesn't look too bad from an almost direct side view, though.

Renault_Fuego_France.jpg

*Looks at Fuego picture*

*Looks at Fuego picture*

*Looks at Fuego picture*

*Looks at Fuego picture*

*Looks at Fuego picture*

*Looks at Fuego picture*

I'm just not seeing it.

That's seriously what it makes me think of.

I've yet to find a car that makes me think of a narwhal, but when I do ...

Well, the Fuego ribbing was really chintzy up close. At least Pontiac's cladding didn't look like it came out of a toy factory.

That's a bad thing, IMHO. I'm sure it may have looked cool in sketches, having a broad, thick black line breaking up the upper and lower half of the car, but it translated poorly. It also translated to poor panel gaps, especially the hood. Every Fuego I've seen has had a poorly gapped hood and I believe that it's due to that cheap-o plastic ribbing.

Stylistically, the ribbing is the most odd part of the Fuego. Most contemporaries didn't look radically different... Dodge Daytona,Dodge Omni 024, Mitsu Starion, Porsche 924, etc.

Those cars you listed made this look work. They managed to make curvy blistered lines work with straight angles. The Fuego didn't. There's a subtle arch to the mid section of the car that makes me think of a guy in a strongman competition trying to bend a steel pipe or a toothpick bending before it breaks in half. The front of the car is boxy, ugly, '80s-tastic and it doesn't blend into that arch well at all.

It is. I'm not saying your wrong... but you can't fairly judge styling against different eras.

While true, I'm just judging the design on its own merits, not versus what's out there today.

Edited by whiteknight

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.