Sign in to follow this  
mustang84

Ford Transmission Improves Performance, Saves

9 posts in this topic

Ford Transmission Improves Performance, Saves Money

By Ford FCN. Fossen, John

Published: February 20, 2006

Posted Image

Ford Motor Company's innovative new 6F 6-speed automatic transmission can deliver up to a 7 percent improvement in highway fuel economy and more refined performance at the same time.

The 6F transmission will debut in the 2007 Ford Edge (above) and the 2007 Lincoln MKX crossover utility vehicles. For more information, go to Fordvehicles.com, or Lincoln.com.

------------------------------------------

(DEARBORN, MI) BlueOvalNews.com - Ford Motor Company's collaboration with General Motors on the design and development of the 6F (6-speed, front-wheel-drive) transmission saved both companies a significant amount of time and money. But Ford saw an opportunity to further improve the performance of its gearboxes while, at the same time, realize even greater savings.

The Ford 6F50 - scheduled to debut in the 2007 Ford Edge, and Lincoln MKX and Lincoln MKZ - is controlled by a microprocessor, which integrates transmission control functions into the powertrain control module (PCM).

Ford employees developed a complex manufacturing and information technology solution to improve transmission operation using this integrated processor. Called Transmission System Characterization (TSC), this innovative solution instantaneously adapts to each individual transmission's optimum operating parameters.

"There is inherent manufacturing variability in every transmission of the same design, so they all operate a little differently," explained Bruce Palansky, technical expert, Ford Powertrain Operations. "Typically, we calibrate, or program, transmission operation within an average range, which is based on testing. Occasionally, additional minor calibration is needed. That task is performed automatically with on-board adaptive software."

With TSC, no such post-production transmission tweaks are necessary.

"We are able to program the unique operating characteristics of each individual transmission into its corresponding PCM, which results in an extremely smooth operating transmission from the first time the vehicle is driven," Palansky said.

TSC also provides substantial cost savings to the company, in addition to performance benefits for the consumer. And the technology may have other applications.

"TSC is being studied for use with other Ford automatic transmissions," added Kurt Nickerson, calibration supervisor, Ford 6F50 transmission. "In fact, it can be leveraged in almost any situation where variability is an issue, such as for fuel injectors in an engine."

TSC received the top honor in Ford's 2005 Annual Powertrain Technology Excellence Awards. In addition to Nickerson and Palansky, the winning team also included Derek Kinch, Ralph Walker and Michelle Grytzelius.

Information Technology, Powertrain Engineering, Powertrain Manufacturing, FCSD, Powertrain Quality, Vehicle Operations, Automatic Transmission Engineering Organization, and suppliers were among the many stakeholders in the project.

Link

EDIT: The article says CVT transmission, but they are talking about the 6-speed.

Edited by mustang84

Sorry... had to.

Seriously, I hope this one is better then their last FWD auto.

And what, exactly, was wrong with that one?

Regardless, sounds good to me, and I sure hope GM starts pumping out and using something similar because, regardless of how many times people argue "but they're still some of the smoothest", etc., etc., the antique 4-speeds are also a leading reason in why so many GM vehicles have "choked" power. One great example is the Lacrosse with the typically powerful 3.6L, but that feels a lot less lively and is strangled by the 4 widely spaced gears.

Edited by caddycruiser

Regardless, sounds good to me, and I sure hope GM starts pumping out and using something similar because, regardless of how many times people argue "but they're still some of the smoothest", etc., etc., the antique 4-speeds are also a leading reason in why so many GM vehicles have "choked" power.  One great example is the Lacrosse with the typically powerful 3.6L, but that feels a lot less lively and is strangled by the 4 widely spaced gears.

The point with the 4-speed argument is that people in general act like these things are totally worthless pieces of junk. Again, your reasoning about the gearing is legitimate and one I would agree with. I sure wouldn't mind a 1000 less RPM when I'm cruising at 85-95 (which I never, ever do...'casue its illegal...an-and stuff...). But the point I know I'm trying to make is that GM has a fantastic thing going with its 4-speed autos because as old as they are, they still deliver silky gear transitions that don't shift as much as they simply glide you up to the next gear. Keep that shift quality and throw in another gear.

Regardless, sounds good to me, and I sure hope GM starts pumping out and using something similar because, regardless of how many times people argue "but they're still some of the smoothest", etc., etc., the antique 4-speeds are also a leading reason in why so many GM vehicles have "choked" power.  One great example is the Lacrosse with the typically powerful 3.6L, but that feels a lot less lively and is strangled by the 4 widely spaced gears.

Drive a final generation Taurus and you'll see. That old transmission was a "hunter" and wasn't exactly known for it's reliability.

The point with the 4-speed argument is that people in general act like these things are totally worthless pieces of junk. Again, your reasoning about the gearing is legitimate and one I would agree with. I sure wouldn't mind a 1000 less RPM when I'm cruising at 85-95 (which I never, ever do...'casue its illegal...an-and stuff...). But the point I know I'm trying to make is that GM has a fantastic thing going with its 4-speed autos because as old as they are, they still deliver silky gear transitions that don't shift as much as they simply glide you up to the next gear. Keep that shift quality and throw in another gear.

Great point, BUT imagine that same level of terrific shift quality married with much more usable range of gear ratios...that's what they NEED.

Smoothness is great, but an engine being able work to its full extent would be even better.

i do not like the mention that ford leveraged more out of the tranny design that they developed with the General. you know, they "bested" GM.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this