Sign in to follow this  
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Patent Drawings Reveal New Chevrolet Pickup Truck?

27 posts in this topic

Patent Drawings Reveal New Chevrolet Pickup Truck?

TUESDAY, JUNE 29, 2010

This just in from the patent office; General Motors has filed these drawings of an unnamed Chevrolet single-cab pickup truck with a Cruze-like split-grille. We're not sure what to make of it since there's no additional information on the filing, but there's a chance it might be a successor to the South American market Chevrolet S10 compact pickup truck.

Another -though less likely- guess is that it's a replacement for the North American Chevrolet Colorado. Of course, we could be wrong in both cases. Either way, follow the break to check out the rest of the drawings and tell us what you think in the comments section.

READ MORE...

link:

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2010/06/patent-drawings-reveal-new-chevrolet.html

GM would be smart not to walk away from the small truck segment. A neighbor of mine recently bought a Frontier, and as he said, the issue isn't that people don't want small trucks, its that the small trucks on the market right now arn't very good.

Anyone know how to retrieve the images from the Patent office so they aren't water marked with Carscoop and maybe we can have DF or someone render them out?

I'm getting a GMDAT vibe from the overall design I'm gonna take a wild guess and say this is much smaller than a Colorado, maybe even smaller than an S10. and is actually replacement for the Tornado sold in Central/South America. The rollbar and the one-piece body suggest that to me.

Just like there are differences between the current NA and SA market Colorados, I'd say this is the new worldwide compact truck in SA guise, as it has bed hooks and the separate bulkhead, traditional for Third World consumption where functionality trumps smooth looks. I'll go on and say we will get a smooth-sided bed and no bulkhead, but overall, I believe this is a good indicator of what is to come to our shores. And I trust the patent drawings are not flattering, based on some of the other patent drawings we've seen before the actual product.

Just like there are differences between the current NA and SA market Colorados, I'd say this is the new worldwide compact truck in SA guise, as it has bed hooks and the separate bulkhead, traditional for Third World consumption where functionality trumps smooth looks. I'll go on and say we will get a smooth-sided bed and no bulkhead, but overall, I believe this is a good indicator of what is to come to our shores. And I trust the patent drawings are not flattering, based on some of the other patent drawings we've seen before the actual product.

Remember that the F-150 had those bed hooks on the step side bed, so it may not necessarily indicate what market this truck is for..

newf150flareside700.jpg

Has the look of the truck they were testing in Detroit a few weeks back.

The Truck was in camo but the over all shape was very similar.

GM needs a good smaller truck in this market and price it below full size enough to make it appealing to the market.

If Ford could sell the crap ranger all these years imagine what a good small Chevy could do? With the new MPG rules and the lack of many good small trucks this is a must to replace the Colorado. This time don't make it feel so cheap.

We haven't seen that type of bedrail hooks in this country since the LUV truck or the Datsun Li'l Hustler back in the 70's. They'd never fly nowadays.

We haven't seen that type of bedrail hooks in this country since the LUV truck or the Datsun Li'l Hustler back in the 70's. They'd never fly nowadays.

To me that's sad. Form over function has me standing with a ratchet-strap hook in my hands, searching for a place to put it. I've since had to weld numerous chain links to my steel bed-cap rail so I can actually tie things down. No hooks on the side because they're ugly? Fine. At least put some inside! It can't be that difficult to understand.

The GMT355 has a steel loop inside each corner of the bed for tying things down if one so desires.

the problem with the Colorado and Canyon they made them way too costly. I remember once you could buy a decent equipped 4X2 S10 for $14,000. now they cost $19,000. for the SAME price you can get a full size Silverado. That and there isnt any Blazers or Hummers to share the development costs. Hard to justify making an entire platform and powertrains just for a small pickup. The only way to make money on it is to do a joint venture with another automaker.

the problem with the Colorado and Canyon they made them way too costly. I remember once you could buy a decent equipped 4X2 S10 for $14,000. now they cost $19,000. for the SAME price you can get a full size Silverado. That and there isnt any Blazers or Hummers to share the development costs. Hard to justify making an entire platform and powertrains just for a small pickup. The only way to make money on it is to do a joint venture with another automaker.

That's why you make one platform and make it global. Not one platform for the U.S., another for Asia, another for EU, another for Australia....

That's why you make one platform and make it global. Not one platform for the U.S., another for Asia, another for EU, another for Australia....

I wouldnt mind bring back the Blazer. Do you think there is still a market for it? Or does the Equinox and Traverse pretty much cover it? I think that buyers of the Equinox and Blazer would attract a diffrent type of buyer although they would be almost the same size. this would help with the developement costs as the midsize truck and the blazer would be identical from the front doors foward.

I wouldnt mind bring back the Blazer. Do you think there is still a market for it? Or does the Equinox and Traverse pretty much cover it? I think that buyers of the Equinox and Blazer would attract a diffrent type of buyer although they would be almost the same size. this would help with the developement costs as the midsize truck and the blazer would be identical from the front doors foward.

If the Blazer returned as an off-road type of SUV, a'la Toyota's FJ Crusier and Jeep's Patriot, then I'd say it would do fine. The Equinox is too "street" and the Traverse is too "family" oriented. If a Blazer makes it to production in true 4x4 fashion, that would bring back some truck buyers to Chevrolet.

If the Blazer returned as an off-road type of SUV, a'la Toyota's FJ Crusier and Jeep's Patriot, then I'd say it would do fine. The Equinox is too "street" and the Traverse is too "family" oriented. If a Blazer makes it to production in true 4x4 fashion, that would bring back some truck buyers to Chevrolet.

A true rugged 4X4 SUV would fit in at GMC and only at GMC as they need something that is not just a fixed up Chevy. I would love to see a Raptor like truck at GMC too.

One of the articles I posted weeks said GM was working on small truck for America.

We will get a small truck and it will be based on this truck. The question is only when and what minor changes it will recieve.

We do not need an clue from an insider on this one to know it is coming. THe MPG, Regs, The Colorado being way out dated, a new Ranger and these drawings of a truck that looks like Nox are strong clues to where this is going. Add to that GM releasing new car on 4n markets first. We have all the bread crums we need.

We will get a small truck and it will be based on this truck. The question is only when and what minor changes it will recieve.

We do not need an clue from an insider on this one to know it is coming. THe MPG, Regs, The Colorado being way out dated, a new Ranger and these drawings of a truck that looks like Nox are strong clues to where this is going. Add to that GM releasing new car on 4n markets first. We have all the bread crums we need.

You hit that one on the head. This is indeed the truth and the case. GM is even thinking about getting back into the minivan market.

You hit that one on the head. This is indeed the truth and the case. GM is even thinking about getting back into the minivan market.

Only this time with a real minivan.

Guest randall

it was STUPID for gmc to quit making the chevy s10 everywhere you look there is s10's everywhere. they would not have went bankrupt and sold out if they would have continued to make the s10!!!!!

it was STUPID for gmc to quit making the chevy s10 everywhere you look there is s10's everywhere. they would not have went bankrupt and sold out if they would have continued to make the s10!!!!!

The issues GM faced hardly hinged on one model...

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this