Sign in to follow this  
NewsFeeder

Report: GMC Granite approved for production [w/poll]

14 posts in this topic

Filed under: Concept Cars, Hatchback, GM, GMC

gmcgraniteconcept000.jpg
GMC Granite concept - Click above for high-res image gallery

When General Motors debuted the GMC Granite concept at this year's Detroit Auto Show, it was a huge hit with both the media and public in attendance. A small hatchback like this would shake up GMC's legacy of only building trucks and crossovers, but it would be a good way to expand the brand's lineup and better establish it as a core part of GM.

Now, the folks at Motor Trend report that the Granite has been given the green light for production, though The General is still in the process of figuring out if it can keep those nifty rear-hinged doors intact. The Granite shares the same architecture as the Chevrolet Orlando which will be produced for other markets and will likely be powered by GM's new 1.4-liter turbocharged inline-four, possibly mated to a six-speed dual-clutch transmission.

It's still unclear when we'll actually see a production version of the Granite concept, but we wouldn't be surprised if a few test mules start popping up outside of GM's proving grounds within the next year. Can a tall Scion xB-like hatch exist under the GMC nameplate? Be sure to give us your opinion in the poll below.

View Poll

[source: Motor Trend]

Report: GMC Granite approved for production [w/poll] originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 29 Jun 2010 17:59:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=93Ojm2GUG_o:3dJa6uZiz3A:wF9xT autoblog?i=93Ojm2GUG_o:3dJa6uZiz3A:V_sGL
93Ojm2GUG_o

View the full article

No suprise here GM really wanted this and GMC need some higher mileage vehicles.

Even with normal doors it should do well if priced right. Many HHR owners are showing interest.

Hmmm Panel version for company fleets?

This going into production is probably the real reason for Orlando not coming here, which I still think is a shame. And they should forget about the rear-hinged doors.

This going into production is probably the real reason for Orlando not coming here, which I still think is a shame. And they should forget about the rear-hinged doors.

Well bobo, I gotta agree with you on the note that this is this is the reason why the Orlando won't coming here, besides chevy has alot of vehicles in its line up.

I don't think this killed the Orlando as they really are aimed at two different buyers.

This is more a niche car that is aimed at the Asian boxes and the Mini Cooper. THe Orlando is more a people mover and minivan than a niche car.

You are correct on Chevy having so many models. I just hope GMC can keep this under $30K as if it over that it will be an epic fail.

2013 GMC GRANITE

OFFICIAL IMAGESLIVE IMAGE UPDATE

By Mark Kleis

GM took the wraps off of its GMC Granite concept vehicle – the “professional grade” version of the Chevy Orlando at the Detroit Auto Show earlier this year, but gave no indication of whether the vehicle would see a production version in the future.

Today General Motors hosted its first annual Global Business conference at its Warren, Michigan, technical center, and among the topics discussed was the confirmation of the GMC Granite for near-term production. The news was confirmed by Motor Trend, who cites Tom Stephens, GM’s North American vice president, as stating that the Granite has a place in the near-term product strategy for GM.

Why this is a significant vehicle for GMC

In what is likely a sign of the time, this concept represents a significant change for the GMC brand as this vehicle would become the smallest GMC ever built if it were to go into production.

GMC has long been a brand associated with rugged, tough and big trucks and SUVs – touting the slogan of “professional grade.” But with the changing economy and the future of fuel prices destined to continue their upward volatile climb, GMC will now turn to a vehicle for the times – the Granite.

The Granite is GMC’s take on the already revealed Chevy Orlando concept, a new crossover-based utility vehicle, or CUV. GM has decided that the Granite is so unique, however, that it doesn’t fit an existing segment – instead creating the ‘urban utility vehicle,’ or UUV segment.

“Granite was conceived as a new type of vehicle from GMC – one that could stretch people’s ideas of what a GMC can be,” said Lisa Hutchinson, product marketing director for GMC. “We call it an ‘urban utility vehicle’ and our goal was redefining what the GMC name could mean to a new generation of customers looking for both bold design and functionality.”

GMC did stick true to its roots with the exterior styling of the Granite keeping a very rugged look – slightly more bold than than Orlando concept. At the same time, many will likely find similarities with the current Scion xB’s exterior and the Granite concept – and that is likely no fluke. In fact, as we showed in the teaser image release for the Granite, the two vehicles ae virtually identical in exterior shape and size.

On the inside of the Granite GMC says it tried to make the vehicle like an urban loft apartment – or that is to say, livable, comfortable and stylish. GMC says that the interior was also inspired by aircraft-type mechanical instruments and precision tools.

GMC also took it upon themselves to equip the Granite with reconfigurable seats – a feature it believes will appeal to young professionals in need of versatility.

“We think of the Granite as the automotive equivalent of an urban loft apartment,” said Dave Lyon, executive director of North American interior and global cross-brand design. “The exterior has an unmistakable industrial look, but the interior is warm and personalized.”

To move this UUV GMC supplied this concept vehicle with a 1.4-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder engine and matched it to a six-speed transmission for what it believes is a great blend of efficiency and sportiness. The transmission also features dual-clutch design for faster, crisper shifts.

Some of the more edgy style and engineering points of the concept Granite will likely go away for final production form, but expect the overall shape and style to remain very close to the concept – giving GMC an offering that should appeal to both the environmentally conscious and the youth alike.

link:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/gmc-granite.html

x2

Forget the rear hinges and get this thing to market ASAP.

x2

Forget the rear hinges and get this thing to market ASAP.

They could be quick and use the rear hinges. They have the Meriva's platform available for use.

Element?

No Element here. It is lower and more Mini Cooper crossed with a Scion than the Element. It really has a cool factor in in person the Element never had. Besides the body is fully painted and no cheap black fenders.

They need to taylor this more to guys and older people. This car is more male dominate vs the Orlando. It has a more rugged sporty feel and look to it.

Also the interior need to be comfortable to people 50 years and older since this segment is dominated by older people vs the younger people. The Element and Scion were marketed as Dorm rooms on wheels and they became Retirment homes on wheels.

A performance version could compete with the Cooper. It is low and wide so it would support a stable handling platform.

i still think the element is one of honda's best vehicles, despite the low power, bad mpg, tractor supply interior, and inconvenient rear seat access. the doors in theory were an asset, but to people who want to use the rear seat for passengers they are a tremendous liability. If the element had 4 real doors it would sell more than it does. The other part where Element screwed the pooch (which is why they came out the with the dog package, to make up for it), the seats fold and tumble up to the sides, which is cool and preserves cargo height. They don't fold and tumble down or come out, which would preserve more overall utility.

Utility might be part of Granite's calling card but the only GM vehicle I know of that was efficient with cargo and a low flat floor was my Aztek (and its twin the rendezvoux).. And to think the Granite won't approach the cargo space and flexibility of something like an Element or Mitsubishi outlander, then it's almost a 'what's the point' deal.

Went for a Mazda6 test drive last weekend, (need to write that up) and when i was waiting went and sat in a Mazda5, and thought, "wow, this is very space efficient. Chevy really could use a vehicle like this. wait........."

If they can't bring the Granite with a low flat cargo floor and pull out rear seats, then don't frickin bother if its not much bigger than a mini or something like a Vibe.

Edited by regfootball

Cool, I liked it better than the Orlando...let's see how close the production car looks to this.

Although it begs the question: how Professional Grade is a people mover?

Cool, I liked it better than the Orlando...let's see how close the production car looks to this.

Although it begs the question: how Professional Grade is a people mover?

well, considering this new GMC which i spotted in Walmart a couple weeks ago, it seems they are open to spreading that professional grade status to lots of different vehicles....Denali even.....I am sure Susan was behind this....

post-16-12779672140057.jpg

Edited by regfootball

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this