Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

The most BS statement you've ever heard

Sometimes my import oriented friends really get my nerves at times.

At one point, one claimed that the Civic Si (a 2006 one BTW) has LSD and it feels like an RWD car.

And then the owner of the Civic defends on the tuning of his engine (i.e. 195hp at like near the end of curve, which I find obnoxious) because "it's tuned for racing". He says that the tuning on my G6 (and all Americans as a matter of fact, he's a Honda nut), since the torque and power peaks are at such low RPMs, "will run out of power" when racing. I told him all I know is I don't have to rev all the way up there for a turn or overtaking a bus.

And as I mentioned before, my Mazda3 friend still insists on putting 94 octane gas in his car. And he's trying to get me to switch. He says it will improve my emissions as well as power. Again, all I know I will risk screw up my sensors and my DIC.

Have you heard of any other statements like this?

Edited by ToniCipriani

94 octane in a G6 or other daily diver (non-high comprs.) car is useless but also harmless... I ran 94 octane in my STS when it was still available at Sunoco... my Camaro got 94 ONLY, but these are both high compression cars that require 91 minimum. I was judt erring on the safe side plus the addatives in the 94 are supposed to work wonders to keep the car runnign clean.

Now as far as Fart-can Riceboys are concerned they're 80% clueless & 20% dumb.

I once was told that an American car will never last as long as the typical Honda/Acura.... Well I have a '68 Camaro & '79 Cadillac in my driveway, when is the last time you even saw a CCVC?, nevermind a 60s Japanesse car.

Honestly my biggest pet-peeve is that FWD is somehow superior in bad weather. Tis statement is usually spokne by retards who claim they would not have understeered into a telephone pole on black ice if they had not been driving a RWD Mustang. As it one has ANYTHING to do wiht the other. <_<:nono: Morons.

Edited by Sixty8panther

Yeah I like the longevity crap. Roach I lasted 390k miles with HEAVY abuse. I know there isn't a honda or toyota out there that could take what both Roachs have been given. Heck just taking one up a curb or going 60 mph down a dirt road with huge pot holes would take them out.

And for the record, our friends took his nissan sentra on our back roads (made of dirt with big potholes) only to throw off his alignment. He was going 30 mph. I take the same back road frequently in the Cobalt and 40+ mph and nothing has happened to the car.

This is more of an 'insider' BS statement for me:

I talked to a guy who stated his '59 Buick had factory prototype dual quads. Very rare, only 4,200 units installed. :lol:

Problem is, Buick didn't offer dual quads until '64 and BMD was NOT working on them 5 years earlier. That, and 4200 units is slightly outside the definition of 'prototype'.

In general, I overheard two women talking and one said she had an acura. The other asked 'why an acura?' and the first replied that they were built to go 300,000 miles. :lol:

Edited by balthazar

My former neighbor's rare, one-of-twenty Honda Prelude 'Type-R' wiht a 400hp turbocharged I4. Um. Okay. And my car flies.

Camaros are better than Firebirds or vice-versa. If only they weren't the same car.

Someone also told me Lexus was such high quality because it was started by former Mercedes and BMW engineers who were sick of their German companies' poor quality cars. This was apparently done in 1995. That was hillarious, by the way.

But my all-time favorite was when someone tried to argue with me that my car was bought from Honda by General Motors and rebadged 'Aurora' instead of 'Acura.'

What...the..f@#k are you smoking?

Camaros are better than Firebirds or vice-versa. If only they weren't the same car.

Well that depends in which department you're talking about, i.e. styling or mechanical.

e.g., when you're talking to BV, he'll say the Firebird is better than the Camaro, and the Fiero trumphs everything. :blink:

well, maybe 30 years ago, when they had different engine options, but yeah, kind of dumb today. . . .

BS statements, huh? The one that sticks out most in my mind occurred in '03, when Ford came out with a new Mach 1 Mustang. I went to the dealership to check one out, and the salesman saw me and came over and started talking about how much fun he used to have driving his old '68 Mach 1 (For all you GM guys who don't pay much attention to the blue oval, the Mach didn't come out until '69.)

I remember once I was at the car wash drying off my Riviera and a middle-aged gentleman walked up to me and complimented me on the car, then told me about his friend's father having a 1971 when he was around my age. He then told me that when he and his friend would go out in it they'd beat on it and do burnouts and stuff, and that people used to freak out when they saw all the smoke coming from the front wheel wells. I politely told him that the Riviera wasn't front wheel drive until 1979, but he insisted he vividly remembered he and his friend roasting the front tires off the thing when they were kids. Must've been one of those special ones that came with a Toronado engine and drivetrain in it :stupid:

i know a ricer guy who said his honda civic ex would beat my friends 02 impala, the same guy aslo said an 89 5.0 mustang would smoke our 99SS

Hey I think the last gen. Impalas had a lil power to them, and also it depends was that a base Impala or an LT Impala, they had different engines?

Hey I think the last gen. Impalas had a lil power to them, and also it depends was that a base Impala or an LT Impala, they had different engines?

it is an LT, and i meant by the comment that the civic didnt stand a chance against the impy, we fly around town in that sucker i was increadibly surprised the first time i rode in it at how fast it was

Oh, I remember another one.

Back when I was still driving the Cavalier, after filling up at a gas station, I took my car aside to check if things are OK under the hood. A guy came up to me and said how he liked the alternator was put in the front of the engine, and it's easy to work with. Then he asked me what year is my Accord.

I have a custom-made "3.8L V6" sticker under my passenger side taillight for a reason. I raced some guy in a Ram and he was on my right. I won the first one, so he said he messed up taking off (uhh, it's an auto.. wtf?), so we went again. Now that I beat him worse the second time he goes...

"Dude, your car's sweet. My truck's got the same power as you but your car weighs less."

"What engine you got in that thing?"

"A Hemi."

"Oh, well I only have a six cylinder. My car makes about 120 less HP than your truck."

He kind of looked dumbfounded.

listen to this.

Some one told me to put 4 quarts of octane booster into my gastank and it will clean my sparkplugs to like new condition. But I told him that it will Eff up my engine and he was like "no man try it".

Why is Emissions a big concern they dont test for that anymore.

besides my caprice would never pass from the factory if they did testing. besides when they did testing i would just give my freind $20 bucks and he would pass all my cars.

I ran my 91 caprice with no emissions equipment like i bypassed it all the PCV vaule, smog pipes, straight piped the Cat. you name it it was not working to "save the planet". It was ment for more power. That car was not legal by any means but i gained 67 HP and 79 Ft/lbs of torque.

Edited by capriceman

I had my hood up in auto class and this kid walks up, saying..

"Dude, you should put a Z06 cam on that thing."

"Um, dude, my engine's two cylinders too short. It'd never fit."

"Well it would take a few small adjustments, but hell yeah it would! Your car would be so fast."

"Dude.. no.. *pointing* 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. 6! Z06 has 8."

"Seriously though, it would work."

I just shut my hood and walked away.

besides your G6 curve has torque at low rpm and HP at high RPM.

And can stay under 3000 rpm on the highway.

Plus in racing Drivers would love low rpm power becuase then they could run more laps with out pitting for fuel. then in corners they could keep on it with out shifting.

besides your G6 curve has torque at low rpm and HP at high RPM.

And can stay under 3000 rpm on the highway.

Plus in racing Drivers would love low rpm power becuase then they could run more laps with out pitting for fuel. then in corners they could keep on it with out shifting.

In fact in real life driving it's well under that. At around 100-110km/h, I watched the tach and it's more like 1800RPM, unless of course I start driving @ 140km/h.

That's why I say I absolutely love my engine, no engine noise while cruising.

Oh, I just thought of something.

A former co-worker, we happened to be talking about the Georgetown Toyota plant that builds the Camrys, Avalons, and Siennas. He says to me, totally serious, that the new Sienna is built on the Tacoma frame. I'm totally serious. Really. I didn't correct him, just sorta nodded my head.

God only knows where he heard that...bless his heart, I hope he doesn't tell that to someone who knows better and won't care to point it out to him. Geeze.

Yeah a Civic drives like RWD just like a 1953 Corvette is FWD and over-powered. :P

Well that depends in which department you're talking about, i.e. styling or mechanical.

e.g., when you're talking to BV, he'll say the Firebird is better than the Camaro, and the Fiero trumphs everything. :blink:

What? :huh:

Anyways... some day, I will have a Firehawk. 8):D

A former co-worker, we happened to be talking about the Georgetown Toyota plant that builds the Camrys, Avalons, and Siennas.  He says to me, totally serious, that the new Sienna is built on the Tacoma frame.  I'm totally serious.  Really.  I didn't correct him, just sorta nodded my head.

God only knows where he heard that...bless his heart, I hope he doesn't tell that to someone who knows better and won't care to point it out to him.  Geeze.

He possibly got confused since the Sienna is now built in the same factory with the Tundra and Sequoia and not in Georgetown with the cars.

The V6 engines in the Taurus SHO were capable of revving to 14,000rpm, but the chasis couldn't handle it so they put a rev limiter in.

I've heard numbers of 9,000 and 10,000...and that the ACCESSORIES (not the chassis) couldn't handle those speeds. It was published in Motor Trend or Car and Driver back in the day.

Toni did you say the G6 has no engine noise ?!

Under normal driving conditions not much. I guess they tuned it so that it lets a bit in so that it feels sportier than the Malibu. But it's by far one of the quietest I've been in, comparable to my dad's S80.

Didn't you test drive one?

Edited by ToniCipriani

I was telling my father about the scion B and he asked "Does it have 6 cyl?"

So I said "no, 4"

He said" Definetly not, i dont even get enough power from my breeze and that has 6 cyl!"

Eveyone knows that the plymouth breeze doesnt come with 6 cyl...

My aunt:"i don't buy Japanese cars because the replacement oparts are expensive"

Guest YellowJacket894

Now, I won't mention names, here, but there is a certain member who thinks Camaros are for "mullet-heads" and "pimp-gold-chain-wearing-wannabes".

Guest YellowJacket894

Oh, I just thought of something.

A former co-worker, we happened to be talking about the Georgetown Toyota plant that builds the Camrys, Avalons, and Siennas.  He says to me, totally serious, that the new Sienna is built on the Tacoma frame.  I'm totally serious.  Really.  I didn't correct him, just sorta nodded my head.

God only knows where he heard that...bless his heart, I hope he doesn't tell that to someone who knows better and won't care to point it out to him.  Geeze.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think they even build the Sienna at the Georgetown Plant (Satan's garage, I call it) anymore. I think they shipped production to Indiana or somewhere so they could build the Solara on that line instead.

I don't know. I haven't been to that plant (and I don't plan on going back, either) since a 6th grade fieldtrip. (Kaizen. Everytime I would hear that word mentioned during the friggen tour, I would wish they would shut up.)

Under normal driving conditions not much. I guess they tuned it so that it lets a bit in so that it feels sportier than the Malibu. But it's by far one of the quietest I've been in, comparable to my dad's S80.

Didn't you test drive one?

Nope they only had one for test driving and it was being tested but I tested the Malibu before I was just figuring they drove the same, I'm going back tomorrow Ill test drive it then.

My aunt:"i don't buy Japanese cars because the replacement oparts are expensive"

That is true, at the shop I had to order front bumber and brackets and a hood for a Nissian 350Z and it was extremely expensive. while these same parts for a mustang where dirt cheap.

Edited by capriceman

That is true, at the shop I had to order front bumber and brackets and a hood for a Nissian 350Z and it was extremely expensive. while these same parts for a mustang where dirt cheap.

You think Nissan/Infiniti is bad? Try Toyo-Lex.

Vinyl seat for a BASE 1995 Toyota Tercel. (non-power, non lumbar... non any-freeekin thing) $650. I laughed my ass off when I heard that. :lol:

That's not the problem. The comment about the FWD car driving and riding like a RWD is the thing.

Ask Sixty8, and you'll know what I mean.

Absolutely.

BTW: Camaros and Firebirds shared VERY litle mechanical in their 1st gen. Suspension tunning, motors, rear ends, wheels, trim, interiors... all different. Even the inline-6 variants. Remember the base motor in the Poncho was a very sophisticated Over-head Cam design that was WAY ahead it's time for the price.

The 2nd gen. increased the homoginazation quite a bit and by the 3rd it was mostly emblems. But at least it never got as bad as the Mustang & Capri or Taurus & Sable.

As far as the SHO both the 1st gen. V6 and 2nd gen./ V8 were made by Yamaha and they do in fact have the potential of revig to like 10K. 14K is definatelly a hugge exageration.

The V12 in the Jaguar XJS was supposed to have 10K ability untill they cheaped out on some component in the heads. I forget but I want to say the camshaft & valve springs had to do with it. Valve float perhaps?

Edited by Sixty8panther

I don't think they even build the Sienna at the Georgetown Plant (Satan's garage, I call it) anymore. I think they shipped production to Indiana or somewhere so they could build the Solara on that line instead.

I don't know. I haven't been to that plant (and I don't plan on going back, either) since a 6th grade fieldtrip. (Kaizen. Everytime I would hear that word mentioned during the friggen tour, I would wish they would shut up.)

Where in Lexington do you live?

As I stated earlier, you are correct. The second-generation Sienna is built in Princeton while the first-generation model was built in Georgetown.