Sign in to follow this  
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

MotorWeek Road Test: Chevy Equinox Vs Kia Sorento

5 posts in this topic

hyperv6    774

Good fair review.

Please take note of the less powerful Kia that gets 15% less MPG and is 1.4 sec slower to 60 mpg. This is a good example of where GM is going with some of these new engines and transmissions.

I could care less for the third row of seats but would like the under floor storage of the Kia.

The Nox handels well and is firm but not harsh. I would rather have that than cushy ride.

The Nox does fall short on cargo space. I am not sure how GM made it so big and lost space inside.

ocnblu    733

Shoot I thought the Equinox would compete more with the Sportage, size-wise.

regfootball    234

Good fair review.

Please take note of the less powerful Kia that gets 15% less MPG and is 1.4 sec slower to 60 mpg. This is a good example of where GM is going with some of these new engines and transmissions.

I could care less for the third row of seats but would like the under floor storage of the Kia.

The Nox handels well and is firm but not harsh. I would rather have that than cushy ride.

The Nox does fall short on cargo space. I am not sure how GM made it so big and lost space inside.

Equinox has rear leg room advantage, that is about it. As nice as the Equinox cabin is, the Sorentos is as nice or nicer and bigger, and actually has a lot more useful cargo area. Sorento can be equipped cheap as or cheaper than the Equinox across the board and has pretty strong warranty.

I've test driven the Sorento. It feels solid as a rock. But as a four cylinder, it is a bit challenged. It's interior is pretty damn nice and incredibly commodious except for the second row leg room.

I think Equinox cargo area is an achilles heel. Sportage is probably a more true competitor, but then the Sportage is even cheaper and probably still outhauls the nox. I've driven its cousin the new Tucson and that is a fantastic little rig aside from some cabin noise. The Hyundai is a better buy I would imagine the Sportage will be an even better buy yet.

I liked the Outlander I test drove yesterday. Equinox cargo hold is sorta pathetic in comparison. Outlander's only deficiency to the Equinox is some interior trim and even then the difference is not that great. It's too bad GM dropped the ball on providing real utility.

I hope to drive a Terrain one of these days, but I would never buy one unless they drop the price....and even then the cargo hold is semi useless for me. An HHR trunk would work just as well or better for me. If I can get a Sportage for 5-7 grand cheaper, or can get a one year old Flex for less than a new Terrain, then the Equ/Terrain twins become fairly irrelevant on my meter, even though I think the Terrain looks bitchen.

Ford will be aggressive with new Edge pricing and incentives. Edge with turbo four and front drive may not get the eye popping mpg EPA numbers but I predict better real world mpg. Last Saturn Vue, lots of forum Vue owners on saturnfans.com complained of bad mpg with the 4 and the 6. A four cylinder cute ute should get better than 18-20 mpg. In that regard at least getting an Edge at equal price and more space with the potential for more mpg seems like a good proposition as well.

Terrain if it shed 300-400 pounds would really help.

Edited by regfootball

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this