Curb Weight: ??

2003-2006 Accord

2.4L

166 HP @ 5800 RPM

160 TQ @ 4000 RPM

5sp Manual MPG: 26/34

5sp Auto MPG: 24/34

Curb Weight (avg between manual and auto): 3,177 lbs

Starting prices for both base models are within $100 of each other. Shouldn't the new Camry (considering the 4cyl models are the most popular) be better than the old Accord? From those numbers, they look pretty close, with a slight edge going to the Accord.

2007 Camry

2.4L

158 HP @ 6,000 RPM

161 TQ @ 4,000 RPM

5sp Manual MPG: 24/34

5sp Auto MPG: 24/33

Curb Weight: ??

2003-2006 Accord

2.4L

166 HP @ 5800 RPM

160 TQ @ 4000 RPM

5sp Manual MPG: 26/34

5sp Auto MPG: 24/34

Curb Weight (avg between manual and auto): 3,177 lbs

Starting prices for both base models are within $100 of each other. Shouldn't the new Camry (considering the 4cyl models are the most popular) be better than the old Accord? From those numbers, they look pretty close, with a slight edge going to the Accord.

Not that this makes a huge difference, but the 2003-2005 2.4L in the Accord output 160hp/161torque... it is in 2006 that it received "more power than ever before" (according to the Honda website).

Not that this makes a huge difference, but the 2003-2005 2.4L in the Accord output 160hp/161torque... it is in 2006 that it received "more power than ever before" (according to the Honda website).

holy weak engines batman! "more power then ever before"

sounds similar to, the most power a chevrolet has ever made... the all new Z06 505 hp...

... All this standard equipment adds up to excellent value with a base MSRP of $18,270, a decrease of $175 or 0.9 percent, for four-cylinder manual models, while the four-cylinder automatic models will carry an MSRP of $19,320, an increase of $45 or 0.2 percent.

Anyone else notice that the automatic transmission costs about $1,100 more than the Manual? Now, I know all automakers do this, but this is the Camry we're talking about here. I mean, I'm sure that $18,270 base price will be appreciated by the approx. three dozen people who buy a base Camry with a Manual, but the other 99.99999 percent of Camry buyers who choose the slushbox are paying more... so that "excellent value" base MSRP is a bit misleading. Frankly, I don't see why Toyota continues to make the Camry with a Manual.

Anyone else notice that the automatic transmission costs about $1,100 more than the Manual? Now, I know all automakers do this, but this is the Camry we're talking about here. I mean, I'm sure that $18,270 base price will be appreciated by the approx. three dozen people who buy a base Camry with a Manual, but the other 99.99999 percent of Camry buyers who choose the slushbox are paying more... so that "excellent value" base MSRP is a bit misleading. Frankly, I don't see why Toyota continues to make the Camry with a Manual.

Good point. The Accord 5sp Automatic value package starts at $19,025 (only $800 more than the manual model), which makes it even more appealing than the Camry (not to mention the Accord offers a 6sp manual option, for those who want that).

Why else would Toyota continue to make the Camry with a manual? To lower the base MSRP and give that option to the people who want it. Also, it is a good business practice. The majority of Camry buyers purchase the car with an automatic so why not raise the price a little bit? If buyers do not notice it, it is on them.

$19320 for automatic. Wow for that sum you get a car that looks like a Mazda in front, droopy in the rear, naked bland side looks with bodyside moldings deleted, smaller trunk, less 4 cylinder hp that before and basically the same underpinnings as last years model. Wow such progress! Oh and i'll be willing ot bet the hybrid doesn't get the mileage on the sticker too!

$19320 for automatic. Wow for that sum you get a car that looks like a Mazda in front, droopy in the rear, naked bland side looks with bodyside moldings deleted, smaller trunk, less 4 cylinder hp that before and basically the same underpinnings as last years model. Wow such progress! Oh and i'll be willing ot bet the hybrid doesn't get the mileage on the sticker too!

Actually, Hp is up by 4 compare to the 06 version. Toyota didn't use SAE ratings prior to 06 model hence pre 2006 Camrys were rated at 160 Hp. But I agree 158 Hp is a bit disappointing since the 2.4L engine in GM cars is rated at 170 to 177 Hp. Does anyone if GM is using SAE ratings for 06 models ? I would have thought Toyota would have tried to match the 2.4 Ecotech engine in output. Also, the 07 Camry is about 150 lbs heavier than the previous models so i dont know how good the accleration is going to be. I guess, Toyota is trying to force more people to move up to the V6 versions.

My main question is did they really need to kiss their own ass so much in the press release? Reading the pricing release for the Suburban and reading this one back to back made the difference quite noticeable. The one for the Suburban got straight to the relevant information rather than give the reader all kinds of rediculous quotes from high-ups about what a great car the Suburban has been and this one will be.

$27,520 dlls for the v6 model with 268hp  <_<

$27,285 dlls for the 06 impala ss v8 303hp 8)

Throwing a huge engine in an average car does not make it great, no matter what price.

Comparing V6 to V6, the Impala is outclassed by a car it does not compete with.

Hmm, I always thought the Impala was an Avalon fighter. Wasn't that the original intention ? I thought the Malibu was the Camry fighter.

The Avalon was intended as a LeSabre-fighter. I would consider GM's competition against the Avalon to be Impala, LaCrosse, and Lucerne in various trims. I would also consider both the Malibu and Impala to go against the Camry, again, in various trims.

I don't think its always the best to say "X vs. Y and only as such" because there are so many overlapping markets these days

The Avalon was intended as a LeSabre-fighter. I would consider GM's competition against the Avalon to be Impala, LaCrosse, and Lucerne in various trims. I would also consider both the Malibu and Impala to go against the Camry, again, in various trims.

I don't think its always the best to say "X vs. Y and only as such" because there are so many overlapping markets these days

Alright, I see where you are coming from. To me, this is one of the instances where GM's many brands/cars seem like overkill.

Or as some people in a free society would call it choice!

When has it become admirable to only have a few choices?  I love how Toyotites brag about only having a few model choices! :thumbsup:

DCX doesn't have that many choices, either. :duh:

DCX doesn't have that many choices, either.  :duh:

Well, DCX has almost exactly TWICE as many choices as Toyota does for every class of vehicle they compete in.....except for the couple Lexus clones of other Toyota vehicles.

But nobody (I) ever said anything about DCX. I was talking about GM offering choices.....which I fully support. Toyota obviously supports the cheapening down of products so that every one will fit into exactly ONE model choice. I cannot support that coming from a free society based on choices.

Not only is Toyota destroying our economy....they are also trying to take away our FREEDOM!!

Posted Image

:lol: I love going overbaord when ragging on Toyoda!!

Well, DCX has almost exactly TWICE as many choices as Toyota does for every class of vehicle they compete in.....except for the couple Lexus clones of other Toyota vehicles.

But nobody (I) ever said anything about DCX.  I was talking about GM offering choices.....which I fully support.  Toyota obviously supports the cheapening down of products so that every one will fit into exactly ONE model choice.  I cannot support that coming from a free society based on choices.

Not only is Toyota destroying our economy....they are also trying to take away our FREEDOM!!

Posted Image

:lol: I love going overbaord when ragging on Toyoda!!

Joke all you want but it is quite poor for GM to need three vehicles to go up against Toyota's one.

Joke all you want but it is quite poor for GM to need three vehicles to go up against Toyota's one.

This is a mischaracterization. GM didn't set out to build three different Camry competitors, merely field a range of midsize entires to satisfy different tastes in the market. Its clear the Camry simply does not satisfy all tastes, otherwise people wouldn't be choosing Altimas, Accords, and 6s above it.

I think you forget GM's multiple choices and brands came before Toyota's "one-model-fits-all", so GM's multiple choices are not a reaction to the Camry. Cars did not use to cover a $15,000 price range like the new Camry does.