Sign in to follow this  
Mach5GTP

My butt + Solstice seat = Joy

If you don’t need yet another Solstice opinion, skip to the last paragraph for something possibly more interesting.

I was at my local Pontiac dealer yesterday picking up a couple things for my wife’s Aztek, when I was again drawn to the silver Solstice they have in the showroom. I’d looked it over a few weeks prior (I’m actually surprised it’s still there, since I’m pretty sure it’s the same one), but couldn’t bring myself to sit in it, for fear of being overcome with desire. I got in this time, and it felt nice- not great, but nice. (I’ve been a Grand Prix pilot for almost 11 years, very used to it and it’s obviously a totally different feel.) I’m not what you’d call “svelte” (I’m workin’ on it!), so the seat was a bit of a tight fit, but I liked the ergonomics, even tho the only tilt steering wheel setting that worked for me was the very highest, which I guess is OK since I would be raising it anyway to get out. The seat was all the way back; if I were any taller it would be a tight fit, it seemed, and I’m barely 5’11” in shoes. I found the seat belt hard to get at when sitting. The driving position was good, tho. The sun visor was next to useless; I couldn’t get to it swing out to the side, it looked like it doesn’t (didn’t want to force it). Seemed like good visibility, at least to the front and sides.

As has been mentioned before, the central cupholders are a bit of a reach; driving, I would prob. use the one on the pass. side of the console. For the life of me, I could not find the hood release or the power lock switch. I imagine there might not even be a PL switch. I did find that the HVAC controls are very clever, in that you turn a knob for one function (temp, fan speed, vent selection), and push it for another (AC, rear def., recirc)- well done! Not so crazy about the 4-way flashers button and the IP light dimmer; both knobs are sorta jammed into free space on the dash and sticking out like erect nipples (something I don’t usually object to). Likewise, the radio leaves me cold w/ it myriad of flat buttons set immediately next to each other- forget trying to operate the radio by feel, easy in my GTP. Likewise, the steering wheel radio controls seemed limited in function; I could only decipher volume, seek, and mute (why can’t they just *say* that, what’s w/ the hieroglyphics, stupid globalization)- my GTP adds AM/FM and tape/CD play. The central storage bin was nice, and only a little hard to get to. The cubby behind the driver seems useful, altho the knob to release the seatback was hard to get at. This car had the premium sound, with what looked like a speaker behind the passenger; without that option, is there another cubby back there?

The doors and trunk felt very solid in opening and closing. Great fit in all the panels, in and out. The trunk liner was a little badly fit, tho, but that’s trivial. The top was down on this one, and the trunk space is indeed tiny but not useless for us lovers of soft luggage. I really really like this car.

OK, here’s the part I thought would be interesting: this was a fully loaded model, all the option pkgs including AC, ABS, and limited-slip diff. MSRP on the sticker was something over 24k. When I saw this car a few weeks ago, it had a sticker next to the price that showed a $5000 “Market Value Adjustment”; nice, thanks. :censored: Yesterday, however, this sticker was *gone*. So this was a loaded Solstice, at list-price, just sitting there, aching to be parked next to my GTP.

Poverty sucks.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook