The Last Lesabre

buickguy

The LeSabre name could have survived.  For a long time, GM did not give it cars that were worthy of the name...so it died.  Goodbye LeSabre, some incredible cars over many years wore you proudly.

The Lucerne would have made a good LeSabre, I think...

If nobody else makes a tribute post about the history of the LeSabre, I will. I did it for the Regal when nobody here took the initiative. Since this is the acclaimed GM fan-site and I am a huge Buick fan I couldn't let the Regal go without a history lesson. Is there any way we'll know when the last LeSabre rolls off the line?

Oh, I forgot to add that they are 06s...all dealer ordered....

They still want them on dealer lots around here...

[post="7287"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

There's a 2006 LeSabre? :blink: Virtually everyone I've talked to has said that 2005 is the last year. I'm just glad that I was able to get one of the last new LeSabres, a Cashmere Metallic Limited (non-Celebration), because the supply was dwindling rapidly in my region when I got it about four weeks ago. I figure it's a fitting tribute to my favorite car of all time. :) Not counting the new silver '05 Limited I had for one day back in May (and returned it the next day because I wasn't comfortable with the deal), it's my first new one and fourth overall -- the first three were all Limiteds, 1986, 1995 and 1998.

Rest in peace, LeSabre - The true American family sedan.

I second that notion. It's rather sad to see the LeSabre go. :(

If nobody else makes a tribute post about the history of the LeSabre, I will. I did it for the Regal when nobody here took the initiative. Since this is the acclaimed GM fan-site and I am a huge Buick fan I couldn't let the Regal go without a history lesson.  Is there any way we'll know when the last LeSabre rolls off the line?

[post="7438"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I'll try to find out...it's kinda a day to day thing as they are ramping up the lucrene..

I'll try to talk someone into pics too...

There's a 2006 LeSabre? :blink:  Virtually everyone I've talked to has said that 2005 is the last year. 
I second that notion.  It's rather sad to see the LeSabre go.  :(

[post="7522"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yep, they wanted to have some on dealer lots during the changeover period,
somewhat simular to the Cavalier/ Cobalt deal. It was a good idea since
D-Ham is behind in the Lucrene right now...at the moment X-mas looks
to be when they roll off in full force... :blink:

After that, it is all DTSs for a while..

I'm going to miss that car...they are a lot of fun to drive....

Oh... you mean right before it became the best selling large car in the US? :P

[post="7895"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Just goes to show most American dont care about styling or performance. I do care about styling so I have a Oldsmobile for a G2 FWD H body. Na, the 92+LeSabre was alright but the last of the H's I would buy, not so for the first gen.LeSabre, that was the cream of the crop for styling. I bet it was the 86-91's that put them on their way to best selling anyhow. They are getting rarer to see now but just a few years ago you would have sworn G1 FWD H's were the best selling cars in America, how else would GM have had so much money to squander at saturin, Fiat, Saab and who knows where else. :P

I wonder what the difference in sales of LeSabres to Eighty Eights to Bonnevilles was during all these various years. Used to be alot of Eighty Eights around here but the others as well.

Somehow I doubt that last LeSabre will ever be worth a penny more than its weight in scrap steel. Many years of leSabres as far as that goes. The 59 and a few various years of coupes or rather 2dr cars will probably be somewhat desireable.

[post="7992"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Sadly Razor, I think you're right. I mean we're all hoping we'll even get a picture of it when the last Corvette or Mustang rolls off the line it'll be worth a fortune. Granted the LeSabre was never a sports car but dammit it was always there for your family trips- something the Corvette and Mustang would have a hard time doing. Its reliabilty throughout its whole life was outstanding. And even though some of you disagree even until recently the LeSabre had a very unique and I'd say elegant style to it. I do think the curves of a current LeSabre will be attractive 30 or 40 years down the line.

Just because the engine was reliable, there was plenty of room, and was always affordable with the elegance standard doesn't mean it should be overlooked on its last year. I am very upset they killed a beautiful name. LeSabres have been in my family since 87 and we've owned at least 1 ever since. (there are 4 at my house currently and my grandparents own a Celebration Edition). Even if the rest of America overlooks the LeSabre we here at C&G will give a proper sendout.

Absolutely.

[post="7412"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

& The G6 would have made a great Grand Am...

Cobalt is growing on me as a great Chevy name and the LaCrosse would NOT have made a suitable Regal. I do not agree with the guys who say the SSR should have been an ElCamino.

In '59, the LeSabre was the low trim line of the Buick line up, not the whole full sized line. Other trim names were, Invicta and Electra. Then LeSabre and Wildcat were B body, different trim 1962-70, then LesSabre/Centurion from 1971-73. Electra was the C body. LeSabre then was the whole B body name starting in 1974, when the the Centurion name died. Then swtiched to FWD H in 1986. Edited by Chicagoland

'59s were static in value for a number of years, but about 5 yrs ago they began to jump and since then have tripled in market value. My '59 Invicta was listed as being worth $7K in #1 condition for years. It eased my decision to modify the car extensively. Now the price guide lists it as being worth $23K in #1. I am certain that the actual first '59 LeSabre was NOT saved for posterity purposes. Since '59 Buicks were made in 8 different assembly plants, by VIN number there would be 8 "first" '59 LeSabres, as far as tracking any survivors down today. But there is not a level of interest in '59 LeSabres that anyone is doing that. But there are tens of thousands of Buick enthusiasts and the LeSabre is as appreciated as many of the more flashy Buicks (Wildcat, Riviera, Electra225, etc).

In '59, the LeSabre was the low trim line of the Buick line up, not the whole full sized line. Other trim names were, Invicta and Electra.

Then LeSabre and Wildcat were B body, different trim 1962-70, then LesSabre/Centurion from 1971-73. Electra was the C body.

LeSabre then was the whole B body name starting in 1974, when the the Centurion name died. Then swtiched to FWD H in 1986.

[post="9125"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

LeSabre was the whole full-sized lineup? What about Park Avenue? That also survived until this year, you know :P

& The G6 would have made a great Grand Am...

Cobalt is growing on me as a great Chevy name and the LaCrosse would NOT have made a suitable Regal. I do not agree with the guys who say the SSR should have been an ElCamino.

[post="8192"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Sixty8, You're correct... the G6 would have made a great Grand Am.

The Cobalt name grows on me as well, and I have a feeling it's because I think the Cobalt is just such a great little car--really. It has available power, many different looks on the inside (between the trims)... it was well-planned and well-executed in my opinion.

I believe this is the case: if a car is good, the name change doesn't really tick us off any more and we adapt well to it. IE, Cobalt. If the car is mediocre, or sucks, we don't adapt well to it, and therefore it doesn't instill the same wonderful feelings previous cars did (IE, LaCrosse/Regal). I would never have given the LaCrosse a Regal name. I would have however, given the LaCrosse a Century name. For me, it seems to be a notch above the Century, but a notch below the Regal. It should have been twice the car it is.

I agree Harley but I am getting use to the idea of new names. I wont miss Regal or Century name but I will miss LeSabre and Riviera and Park Avenue or Electra Wildcat is and always will be the ultimate Buick name in my book next to Riviera Maybe the change will be OK.....though I could do without the limp wristed Heidi names. Our boy was after all Scotch........wonder if he wore a kilt? celt?

You have a good point there about Roadmaster & Century, but the Riv was never dropped & re-upped.
I'll agree with the 10-15 year interval for "LeSabre".

[post="9542"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well I guess the Riv wasn't really dropped... but its true there is no 1994 Riv.

• 5 weeks later...
I'm pretty much a life-long LeSabre fan. Mom & Dad bought their first Buick -- a spanking new '61 LeSabre -- on October 7, 1960. I was seven years old at the time, and every passenger car my folks bought from that day forward was a Buick. And, now, I drive every day the last car they ever bought. Yes, you guessed it -- a LeSabre. It's a Ruby Red '89 LeSabre Limited 2-door coupe that still looks new and drives like the day it left the showroom floor. If anyone should doubt the significance of the Buick LeSabre in automotive history, consider this: Beginning in the 1980's, the import manufacturers overran virtually every passenger car market segment in the U.S., and the Japanese nameplates dominate sales of small, mid-sized, and luxury cars. But the one car that the imports have never dethroned as king of its market segment is -- Buick's LeSabre. LeSabre, I'm sad to see you go. And I'm relieved to see that I'm not the only one who feels so strongly about this. If I had opportunity, I would love to tally up the LeSabre production for the entire 1959 - 2006 time span. I'd be curious to know how many million fine automobiles have worn the LeSabre nameplate. (Using figures readily available on the Internet, I was able to tally just the first two decades of LeSabre production -- 1959 - 1979. During that time span, nearly 3.3-million LeSabres were produced. Obviously, a great number have been produced in the years since 1979.) Edited by Centurion

I took my parents 1983 Buick LeSabre to my senior prom. It had blue velour seats and a padded vinyl roof. It was quiet as hell, and powerful. When I was younger my parents had LeSabre convertible and an Estate wagon. They still drive Buicks to this day. A Park Avenue and a Riviera.

According to the GM website, the Hamtramck plant produced 12 Lesabres in September.  Is the production run over for this car?

Why no mention of it by Buick?  LeSabre has been around longer than the Mustang!

[post="23812"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yes, the last few were finished mid-week the second week of Sept.,..
As they ramped up production of the DTS for a few weeks..I wanna say
that the last one was made sept. 7th.....

Buick should be ashamed of themselves for re-naming one of there best selling cars, the LeSabre. GM is on this silly new fad kick to rename everything that wasn't selling in huge quantities last year. Why the LeSabre was included in this thinking is bewildering. Does Buick actually think consumers are being fooled by a new name and different sheetmetal built on the same chassis with the same old 3800, ancient 4 speed automatic trans and conservative aproach to interior design that older folks love? My favorite LeSabres were the 77-85 B-bodies with there quiet ride and V8 engines underhood. Now those were nice cars.

LeSabre was the whole full-sized lineup?  What about Park Avenue?  That also survived until this year, you know  :P

[post="9320"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I did not say at all that the LeSabre was the "whole" full sized line up. I typed that the LeSabre was the only "B-Body" RWD Buick, from 1974-85. Electra and PA was the C body.

The LeSabre name is 47 years old, but from 1959 to 1973, there were other names used on the Buick B Body. Invicta, Wildcat, and Centurion.