Sign in to follow this  
gmhashope

Chicago Auto Show: Ford Display

Here are more pictures from my trip to the Chicago Auto Show. I will be adding more when I get the time to. The first 4 are of the Edge which is starting to grow on me. I just wish the headlights were a little different.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next are 3 pictures of the Ford Shelby GT500. This display received a lot of attention. I just wish they would have done something a little different with the hood vents, but otherwise I love it. 8)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next are 2 pictures of the interior of the Fusion. For some reason or another I do not like the material in any Ford Motor Company products. The grain is really noticable and for some reason or another I don't like the interiors on new products. It may or may not be noticable in the pictures but in person it really stood out to me.

Fusion:

Posted Image

Another Fusion:

Posted Image

Edited by gmhashope

I, on the other hand, LOVE most Ford interiors. They just feel right to me, and a lot more so than even some of GM's better recent offerings which still always come off as too rental car than anything else.

They aren't flashy, but there's a definate level of overall sophistication and quality to the build and finish of most every new Ford that is very nice.

Edited by caddycruiser

Agreed. Ford has some good interiors that are just perfect for what they need to be...nothing that'll "wow" you, but they don't underwhelm, either.

That's a very ugly radio unit in the Fusion. What's the deal with all the deadspace around and in between the controls on radio units these days? Its pathetic.

Agreed.  Ford has some good interiors that are just perfect for what they need to be...nothing that'll "wow" you, but they don't underwhelm, either.

I agree... they're up-to-date and seem professionally done.

Now see, I'm of another school. I think the grained surfaces in the Fords look very hard and unforgiving. Also, the general shape of the dashes seem dated... very 90's, with their sharp corners, etc. I prefer GMs latest theme, as seen in the GMT900s, Lucerne, DTS, Impala, HHR, etc.

I do like the Edge though, it's handsome, and should be a good competitor for GMs Lambdas. Although I am a fan of BOF trucks, I wouldn't mind seeing this type of vehicle replace midsize BOF SUVs from Ford, GM and Dodge (not Jeep), as long as they can accomodate an optional DOD V8.

Edited by ocnblu

I did not think the interiors of the Fusion and 500 were so related. Overall, it is a mixed bag for me. The materials in the Fusion seemed fine when I sat in one but I have yet to sit in a 500. The design is alright but both have CCSD (corporate center stack disease).

That's a very ugly radio unit in the Fusion. What's the deal with all the deadspace around and in between the controls on radio units these days? Its pathetic.

that particular unit is double din sized, like mine, it probably has the 6 disc changer which likely takes up room. ford for the longest time now has used double din head units. that particular radio is one of the easiest devices to use that I've encountered. it gets by on function with much fewer button than typical. I do agree it looks quite sparse and cheap however. Perhaps they could have made a much larger display and otherwise jazzed up the unit some. To some degree, folks like us might like more bling in our car radios, but I would guess Ford thinks their typical customer wants a simple and bland radio. Who knows. I do agree its pretty cheap looking but having owned this one, it functions beautifully. I would prefer that they add separate knobs for bass/treble and balance and fade. I despise having to go through menus for those basic functions. It also lacks an input jack.

If you hate that radio that much then there are plenty of hot looking dvd double din units with touch screens and such that are available to fill those holes.

I don't take major issue with the unit's looks because its so easy to use, but what i do take issue with is the sound sucks and i have the audiophile version.

For the record, I like GM's new radios other than the cheap plastic on the faceplate and buttons.

I did not think the interiors of the Fusion and 500 were so related.  Overall, it is a mixed bag for me.  The materials in the Fusion seemed fine when I sat in one but I have yet to sit in a 500.  The design is alright but both have CCSD (corporate center stack disease).

Most folks might like the 500's interior and I do to some degree, but driving one now for 4 months, I am already bored with it and have some issues with how low the center stack controls are and that they are parts bin Ford units. Also, like blu, I don't like the 90's/German knockoff graining. The plastic could stand a different grain and better quality. Still, overall its pretty decent and much nicer that what we have been accustomed to in a lot of domestics. For example, imagine being stuck with a Chrysler interior! YEESH!

Why in the world is Scooby-Doo on top of the Edge?

They were giving them away every hour or so at the auto show and to show off Scooby-Doo they put him on top of the Edge. I have no idea what Scooby-Doo has to do with Ford but that is why he's up there.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook