Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

MY CALIBER INSPECTION

regfootball

This car had great potential of reinventing their reputation of their horrible past with the Neon, however based on what I saw, the interior is the cheapest I have seen since Lada. If they put such cheap materials in the interior, then it scares me what kind of cost-cutting they did on the mechanical parts :unsure:

This car had great potential of reinventing their reputation of their horrible past with the Neon, however based on what I saw, the interior is the cheapest I have seen since Lada.  If they put such cheap materials in the interior, then it scares me what kind of cost-cutting they did on the mechanical parts  :unsure:

Does your Corolla have a cooler/warmer in the glove box? Does your corolla have a 300 hp version? What?.......no?? Please go back to your Toyota hole now.

Yeah, what a horrible past I've had with my Neon...why, once the thermostat stuck and it cost me $9 and about 20 minutes to replace it. And can you believe it, I jabbed my finger with the screwdriver while I was doing it. Gosh darnit, after that lousy experience, I'm gonna trade it for one of those far superior Japanese compacts.

Yeah, what a horrible past I've had with my Neon...why, once the thermostat stuck and it cost me $9 and about 20 minutes to replace it. And can you believe it, I jabbed my finger with the screwdriver while I was doing it.  Gosh darnit, after that lousy experience, I'm gonna trade it for one of those far superior Japanese compacts.

An article was posted on FARK.com, to discuss the end of the NEON (and the replacement Caliber).......and some people started ripping the NEON for being a POS. Then just a ton of people posted that they just love their NEON......and had it for like 10+ years with 100K+ miles and very little problems. And that site is usually loaded with Asian car humpers. The NEON rippers got pwn3d with countless stories of very satisfied owners (not just Asian humpers with biased opinions).

You call yourself a Dodge fan....and you didn't like the Spirit??  :fryingpan:  The Spirit was one of the most handsome cars out at the time.  The R/T was boxy and kinda mean lookin....plus had 224 hp and did 0-60 in 6.5 sec.  I always tried to get my Dad to buy a Spirit R/T.....but he ended up with a Dynasty.  He did love his Dynasty though.

Posted Image

lol...my family had a 91 Spirit...the paint peeled a lot on the trunk and roof but it had zero rust. I just never cared for the old-school look of the interior, and the exterior always looked to me like a big Shadow. :P

Yeah, what a horrible past I've had with my Neon...why, once the thermostat stuck and it cost me $9 and about 20 minutes to replace it. And can you believe it, I jabbed my finger with the screwdriver while I was doing it.  Gosh darnit, after that lousy experience, I'm gonna trade it for one of those far superior Japanese compacts.

Sorry to hear about your Neon, my friend's mother has a 2000 and has never had a problem with it. But you know Corollas brake down too, sorry to disappoint ya.

Edited by Dodgefan

QUOTE(NeonLX @ Mar 28 2006, 03:46 PM)

Sorry to hear about your Neon, my friend's mother has a 2000 and has never had a problem with it. But you know Corollas brake down too, sorry to disappoint ya.

I don't think he is really complaining.

l

I was just being a goof. I did replace the thermostat on my '00 Neon and it did cost $9. But I never actually jabbed my finger with the screwdriver. I was just being sarcastic.

Personally, I really like Neons. Before I got my 2000 I didn't pay much attention to them because I didn't think I was interested in 4-cyl. cars. But my wife talked me into selling the '94 Spirit and on a whim, I tried out a year-old '00 Neon while looking for a replacement car. I was hooked immediately--the car was almost as quick as my V6-powered Spirit and the fuel economy was better as well. It wasn't quite as comfortable inside but it handled better. So I wound up with a Neon.

I traded the '00 Neon in for a year-old '04 model back in February of '05 because they were offering a great deal on some "program cars" with extended Chrysler warranties. I've been really happy with the '04 as well.

Does your Corolla have a cooler/warmer in the glove box?  Does your corolla have a 300 hp version?  What?.......no?? Please go back to your Toyota hole now.

Does my Corolla go throgh three transmissions a year? No, Does my Corolla go through head gaskets every 20,000 km? No, does my Corolla have a re-sale value of a styrofoam cup? No, go back to your Dodge service department customer waiting area now.

Does my Corolla go throgh three transmissions a year? No, Does my Corolla go through head gaskets every 20,000 km? No, does my Corolla have a re-sale value of a styrofoam cup? No, go back to your Dodge service department customer waiting area now.

See above.

Ask NeonLX how many transmissions and head gaskets he has been through with his neons.

See above.

Ask NeonLX how many transmissions and head gaskets he has been through with his neons.

Ummm...let me count here...lessee...

Zero.

Only gasket I've ever had go on a Mopar was the cam cover gasket on my '94 Spirit's V6 engine. Interestingly enough, that engine was sourced from the superior Japanese engineering over at Misterbitchy. I mean Mitsubishi.

On edit: I've had the following vehicles equipped with the A604/41TE 4-speed tranny:

'89 Grand Caravan

'94 Grand Voyager

'99 Voyager

'02 Caravan

and both of my current vehicles (see below). Total tranny failures in approximately 300,000 cumulative miles of driving these vehicles?

None.

My '94 Spirit and '00 Neon had the 3-speed auto trannies. They never missed a beat either.

Edited by NeonLX

My Dodge has has 207k miles on it with the original engine and tranny. So blow it out your exhuast pipe

Edited by Dodgefan

Is your Corolla a boring appliance that could be mistaken for being from 3-4 other car companies as well? YES, yes it is... :pbjtime:

Don't want to add to the fire... but even Brookvillians wouldn't buy Neons. That says alot, if you ask me... I mean, considering Grand Ams rule this town and the reputation it has is... well... you know. Not pretty. Even though I think it's overhyped... My mom's 00 GASE was very reliable. :D:P Don't hurt me, please. I'm fragile. I really am.