HYUNDAI AZERA

regfootball

I think a gent who takes his kid to the same D/C I do works for Hyundai. He's always showing up with some Hyundai and special mfr. plates. Well, the other day he had a brand new Azera. In the limited bit of time I got to scope it out, here's what I thought.

exterior-uninspiring. A very droopy, melted butter look and the rear fender flares seemed contrived, IMHO. Nothing about the face or tail was particularly standout. The overal shape was lacking of any sort of eyecatching ways. As a blandmobile, its not anything great either.

interior-appeared to be spacious. The seats themselves looked to be of high quality leather and nice to look at and sit in. Of course, they look like Catera knock offs. The dash and door panels had the same knockoff/cheesy look to them that many Korean/Asian products have. You know, the 'something about it is not quite right / great for BIG LOTS' kind of look. You can tell they are trying, but its not near as nice as MOTOR TREND or some other of the 'experts' have said. Its like its already dated, by about 5-7 years.

overall

B-

you can tell they are trying, but they just aren't there. Even with good runniing gear and great price this car lacks big time in the style and cache department. And if you're gonna try to compete in the upper price ranges, style is a neccessity.

Edited by regfootball

Their commercials say it's more spacious than a BMW 760i.  Pretty impressive in that regard...but seriously?  Hyundai comparing themselves to BMW?  Seriously?

Not if they're using EPA interior passenger volume ratings which they most certainly are. A 1995 Buick LeSabre is 'more spacious' than a 760i, 760Li, Audi A8 L, and a Vanden Plas L.

Their commercials say it's more spacious than a BMW 760i.  Pretty impressive in that regard...but seriously?  Hyundai comparing themselves to BMW?  Seriously?

visually, at least in the back seat it seemed to have more room than the Impala, but then, that ain't sayin much either.

If folks want a luxury car, get a luxury car....not a faux (Korean) knockoff.

wait, i meant Li.  I just saw the commercial again, and it said 760Li.

Variance is right. Check out the government website, too. If Hyundai claims greater volume than the 760Li, its a 'Li'.

And, yes, Brewswillis, I saw the same. Like a reshapeed LaCrosse with a goofier front end.

you guys continue to bash the Koreans, yet they are making ground and squeezing GM at the bottom end. I wouldn't be so quick to criticize to make yourselves feel better. it's not like the Malibu, G6, LaCrosse, Impala, Cobalt are setting any styling benchmarks.

the fact remains that Hyundai does not make the $h! product that they used to. they have some pretty decent quality these days. factor in a pricing model that gives you a lot more features for the $$$ and a stellar warranty and you've got a very compelling story for a segment of the market.

you guys continue to bash the Koreans, yet they are making ground and squeezing GM at the bottom end. I wouldn't be so quick to criticize to make yourselves feel better.  it's not like the Malibu, G6, LaCrosse, Impala, Cobalt are setting any styling benchmarks.

the fact remains that Hyundai does not make the $h! product that they used to. they have some pretty decent quality these days.  factor in a pricing model that gives you a lot more features for the $$$ and a stellar warranty and you've got a very compelling story for a segment of the market.

I agree with you 100%, but argue all you want, there are members on this board who wear blind-folds when it comes to anything non-American.

you guys continue to bash the Koreans, yet they are making ground and squeezing GM at the bottom end. I wouldn't be so quick to criticize to make yourselves feel better. it's not like the Malibu, G6, LaCrosse, Impala, Cobalt are setting any styling benchmarks.

Yes but GM for the most part does not blatantly copy other cars. Pick any Korean model and it will look incredibly similar to an equivalent domestic or japanese car.

you guys continue to bash the Koreans, yet they are making ground and squeezing GM at the bottom end. I wouldn't be so quick to criticize to make yourselves feel better.  it's not like the Malibu, G6, LaCrosse, Impala, Cobalt are setting any styling benchmarks.

the fact remains that Hyundai does not make the $h! product that they used to. they have some pretty decent quality these days.  factor in a pricing model that gives you a lot more features for the $$$ and a stellar warranty and you've got a very compelling story for a segment of the market.

I'll take the Azera's interior ANY DAY over the Lucerne's interior (although I'll keep the Lucerne's exterior styling.)

I'll ALSO take the Azera's powertrain over the V6 Lucerne's.....

Yes but GM for the most part does not blatantly copy other cars.  Pick any Korean model and it will look incredibly similar to an equivalent domestic or japanese car.

so what? there is only so much you can do with a std 3 box design.

(like the new Mustang is a rip-off of the old one... but is that ok, because they are copying themselves?)

so what?  there is only so much you can do with a std 3 box design.

(like the new Mustang is a rip-off of the old one... but is that ok, because they are copying themselves?)

Copying other cars makes the car look cheap. Look at the Kia Amanti...tried to copy several different car manufacturers and it just ended up looking cheap.

This is completely different from copying an old design of your own. Sure it still shows no design creativity..but at least you are copying yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks a hell of a lot better than the current Avalon or Camry. In fact an older gentleman that had a 2005 Avalon was checking out the new Azera at a local Hyndi dealer and remarked how it looked more expensive than his car and how it had more nice chrome trim on the outside, and a better looking interior, something his car lacked.

It looks a hell of a lot better than the current Avalon or Camry. In fact an older gentleman that had a 2005 Avalon was checking out the new Azera at a local Hyndi dealer and remarked how it looked more expensive than his car and how it had more nice chrome trim on the outside, and a better looking interior, something his car lacked.

HA. Can you say anything positive about Toyota? Second thread in a row here...

The older gentleman probably forgot his glasses anyway.

While I agree with what you are saying, I do have to make a couple of comments. First off, I owned an Exel in the late eighties whose engine blew up at a little over 100,000 miles(not unlike our Corall that just blew up short of 200,000 though we will drop a new engine into it). So I still have a bad taste in my mouth from that experience. On the other hand I saw an Azera from the rear three quarters and I liked what I saw. Would I buy one, probably not. Personally, I think the Pontiac G6 is a good looking car and if I was in the market for a small sedan it would be on my list. The G6 however is a disappointment when compared to the show car I think should have been built instead. The Azera will be a threat both to the domestics and to Japan.

Well, I like the Azera. It looks a hell of alot better than the Lacrosse, Lucerne, and Avalon. Those three range from Taurus knock-off, bland multi-car knock-off, and frumpy, but bland, yet weird. The Azera is the only one that looks elegant and stylish, IMO. The rest... you couldn't pay me to own. I'm not a fan of any of their interiors, though... They all suck, design-wise, if you ask me. The Lucerne, however, also sucks material wise. I mean... the Lacrosse has better plastics...

The only thing attractive about the Azera is the price, I think. The styling looks like melted butter and the interior is nothing to write home about. I am the exact opposite of BV, I would not take it even if it were free.

The Azera is a scaled up Elantra. This explains it because you like small cars.

The Elantra is ugly... The Azera isn't. There's a difference. And no... this isn't about size. The other cars styling... well... laughable at best. For one, I don't like Taurus's, Infivolksq45passpheawagoniti's, or stingy/frumpy/weird mobiles. So... don't make excuses. :P

The only thing attractive about the Azera is the price, I think.  The styling looks like melted butter and the interior is nothing to write home about.  I am the exact opposite of BV, I would not take it even if it were free.

Melted butter appearantly means being more attractive than it's competitors... especially that Avalon. It doesn't even look luxurious... or elegant... or classy... or expensive... or interesting... or anything related to being even remotely attractive. :D

The Avalon continues to uphold Toyota's tradition of building cars so stodgy even Buick and Mercury wouldn't build them. The '06 Avalon builds upon this heritage by adding gangly looks, highlighted by its awkward grille treatment and flimsy plastic dash covers. Toyota engineers highlight this year's Avalon as the being the first car with a standard conundrum; in Avalon's case, such a huge ass yet such a tiny trunk.

Sciguy is pretty much right. The price is attractive, the car is not. Interestingly, you'll find much of the same switchgear, etc in the Azera as you will an Elantra or even a few Kias. In reality, a Sonata is a much better deal because as boring and bland as it is, the Azera isn't that much larger.

The only thing attractive about the Azera is the price, I think.  The styling looks like melted butter and the interior is nothing to write home about.  I am the exact opposite of BV, I would not take it even if it were free.

sat in an AZERA yesterday at the autoshow. I am telling you, this car screams 'third world' like a cheap suit from K mart. The exterior is a limp lifeless blob that makes the Oval taurus seem like high well executed design and is among the most dull cars I've ever seen and the interior is filled with all sorts of mismatched materials. the design is a hodgepodge, and the cloth especially on the seats is worse than some of the heavily criticized cloths of the GM past. This, along with the new Sonata and Kia Optima, are three of the most disastrous looking products on the market. Friends, don't kid yourselves, Kia and Hyundai have made upgrades to their hardware, but they are still selling on price primarily. The press' love affair with these two cars will soon subside as the months go by and there is newer iron to write about. Anyone who buys this car is a fool. Sorry, but that's my opinion. Just by a damn Camry or Accord or Altima if this is what you want, because all three of those are superior.

Aside-the new Camry is BLAND, but well built seemingly except for loose trim pieces and climate control knobs that move around sloppily. The Camry dash has GM cheap plastic on the lower half and the door panels are cheap ass vinyl that wouldn't even be acceptable in my Ford. The blue green center stack control look a bit cheap as well. As usual, it has the cheesy Toyota cloth going on. Credit, the precision of the dash fits and the almost unnoticable seams on the construction of it do make seem well done overall.

Still, it comes off way better than the AZERA.

Edited by regfootball

Front of the Azera is far better-looking than the LaCrosse!

Rear is offensive to me, but Hyundai is gearing up to take on the world. According to Asian-lovers Motor Trend, Hyundai is racing to have a rear-drive automobile (coupe/sedan) in the U.S. while Ford (and even to some extent GM) seem to be hoping that no one notices the Chrysler 300 and its siblings.

Factor in the warranty and features available for the price, Hyundai has seemingly nailed that elusive factor of "value' when shopping for a new automobile.

The new Sonata has a pleasing VAG quality to the front design.

Mismatched interior panels? Yeah, there was a glaring example in a 2006 Cobalt coupe that I drove. The air bag panel cover was of an entirely different texture and sheen from the rest of the dash and was worse overall than even the aged Elantra.

All the Hyundais that I've ever ridden in, or been in at NAIAS seemed very well constructed. My g/f's Elantra is pleasingly quiet, much as the Cobalt.

Grade Report for the Azera: B+. Great features, excellent warranty, and unbeatable price for the package. Shortcomings include certain dynamic aspects, the LCD displays of the stereo head unit, the green lighting of the gauges, and the profile coupled with odd rear styling.

Grade Report for Hyundai: A. Hyundai is making improvements lightning fast, and striving to make products America wants.

Sonata B- (still says 'third world' in too many ways)

Azera C- (too many better choices at this level, incompetently styled inside and out)

Accent B (outclassed by the Yaris and new Aveo)

Tuscon B+ (nice interior, but bland exterior)

Santa Fe C

Elantra (my sister definitely is never buying another one, she wishes she had her Focus back, too many other killer choices) C+

Edited by regfootball

Didn't get to sit in it, but looks and size-wise the Azera is really nothing special. The only thing full-size about it is the fact that it has a large-class interior-that's it-otherwise, its as mid-size as it comes. The Accent and Sonata were impressive though.

I think the Azera is pretty nice inside and out. Is it beautiful? No. The Lucerne is far better looking (I saw a black one today, it looked sweet). Is it ucking fugly like the Avalon? Nope. It looks nice, and far better than the vehicle it replaces. I would personally take the Lucerne..or the 300C...cuz it's RWD, has a Hemi, and looks badass, but I can see a lot of people buying an Azera because of the value and it's understated design. Hyundai's quality has gotta much better than it used to be, so buying one no longer means it'll only last 4 years. My only complaint is the rear looks a bit awkward at some angles, but then the Avalon looks bad at any angle so there ya go.

Edited by Dodgefan

HA.  Can you say anything positive about Toyota?  Second thread in a row here...

The older gentleman probably forgot his glasses anyway.

When Toyota gets off there high horse, builds cars with decent styling and America starts putting on there glasses and laying off the crack pipes then maybe yes I will have something good to say about Toyo, but not before! :pokeowned: