Sign in to follow this  
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

2012 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 spied for the first time!

2012 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 spied for the first time!

Although the future of the high-performance, range-topping Z28 Camaro has been on and off many times, Leftlane now has proof that the Z28 lives on with a massive supercharged V8 under the hood.

In May, Leftlane reported that Chevrolet would be bringing an updated and improved interior for the 2012 Chevrolet Camaro, but we also reported that the Z28 was definitely approvedto go into production featuring a 6.2-liter supercharged V8 – the same engine from the Cadillac CTS-V, meaning output will likely be at least 556 horsepower.

Now our spies have images of this model in testing, wearing only moderate camouflage, but with a revealing shot confirming the ultra high-output drivetrain under the hood. The spies reported that the exhaust from the test model was “nothing short of unholy!,” and they hoped to report back with more images later today. At the rear we can see a monster set of dual pipes on either side. There are also subtle changes to the rocker panels as well as the lower-rear fascia.

From the spy photos it is clear that the Z28 will come with a heavy-duty brake package, as well as high-performance ultra-wide Goodyear Eagle F1 tires wrapped around a set of 20-inch wheels. The doors are also bearing a bit of joke from the GM engineers with a NASCAR-like “2″ decal, likely a suggestive joke about the car’s near-racecar-like performance.

link and photos:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96645

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2012-chevrolet-camaro-z28-spied-for-the-first-time.html

SPIED: 2012 Chevy Camaro Z28 with 6.2-liter Supercharged V8

Friday, July 23, 2010

Spy photographers have snagged a lightly camouflaged Camaro that is believed to be the long-rumored Z28 model packing the same 6.2-liter supercharged V8 engine found in the Corvette ZR1 and Cadillac CTS-V models. And how do we know this, you may ask? Well, GM's engineers were kind enough to leave a sticker on the prototype's dashboard that read "2012 Chevrolet Camaro, 6.2L SC V8, 6AT". Head over to the Camaro5 forums for the full set of spy pictures from Brenda Priddy and gang.

link:

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2010/07/spied-2012-chevy-camaro-z28-with-62.html

SPIED: 2012 Chevy Camaro Z28 with 6.2-liter Supercharged V8

Friday, July 23, 2010

Spy photographers have snagged a lightly camouflaged Camaro that is believed to be the long-rumored Z28 model packing the same 6.2-liter supercharged V8 engine found in the Corvette ZR1 and Cadillac CTS-V models. And how do we know this, you may ask? Well, GM's engineers were kind enough to leave a sticker on the prototype's dashboard that read "2012 Chevrolet Camaro, 6.2L SC V8, 6AT". Head over to the Camaro5 forums for the full set of spy pictures from Brenda Priddy and gang.

link:

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2010/07/spied-2012-chevy-camaro-z28-with-62.html

If it's a 6AT, it'll make as much as, but no more than, 555hp & 550 lb-ft of torque. It'll also redline at no higher than 6000 rpm. OK< maybe they'll go 1 or 2 points higher like they did with the CTS-V, but no more.

The reason is that the only transmission GM has that is suitable is the 6L90. This unit is rated for a maximum engine power of 555hp and maximum engine torque of 550 lb-ft. It also has a maximum shift speed of 6000 rpm.

I wonder where the price point will be...$50-60k?

i hope not, whats a V go for these days?

Edited by CanadianBacon94

i hope not, whats a V go for these days?

$65k (USD) or so.. The Shelby GT500 starts in the upper $40s, so I would think the Z28 will be probably be similarly priced..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

The Camaro will be right with the Shelby. They do not expect to sell a ton of them as that is what the SS is for.

This picture was a photo op for Chevy as they would not post the info on the dash like this in a mule. I was told my one of the engineers how they plant cars often for sneek peaks and this one reeks of a plant.

The nose is right but the wheels, interior and most of the body trim are not Z/28. This is just a drivetrain and suspension car. In discussions with a Camaro friend who has connections he said the hood was even not even correct.

Also note this is a good lead in to the big Camaro Suprise at Woodward. GM always leaks photo's leading to the into's at Woodward.

I also expect we will see more Convertible pic's soon. I have found GM is bringing in the Diciples for Woodward for sure now so they do have an anouncment coming.

Edited by hyperv6

It's a good thing they covered up the Camaro nameplate on the fender, or I might have guessed what kind of car it is.

It's a good thing they covered up the Camaro nameplate on the fender, or I might have guessed what kind of car it is.

I think it says something other than Camaro.

Even more laughable is they covered up the Chevy badge. Why didn't they just use SS trim if they are testing a prototype? Seems pointless to cover up badging, etc considering the regular car is so familiar.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook