Sign in to follow this  
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

BMW 5-Series GT Owners Beware; Your Fuel Gauge May be Lying- Recall on the Way

3 posts in this topic

BMW 5-Series GT Owners Beware; Your Fuel Gauge May be Lying- Recall on the Way

Friday, July 23, 2010

If your BMW 5-Series GT has covered several hundred miles since you last filled up and the fuel gauge needle hasn't moved a bit from 'Full', it isn't because of your eco-driving skills nor the car's extreme fuel efficiency. More than 6,000 owners of certain 2010 and 2011 model year BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo fastbacks manufactured from January 12 through July 1, 2010, are being cautioned by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration about a problem concerning their car's fuel gauge.

According to the release on NHSTA's website, the 5-Series Gran Turismo's fuel level sensor within the fuel tank can become wedged against the tank. If this occurs, then the fuel gauge in the instrument cluster will display a larger amount of fuel than what's actually in the tank.

The German automaker has not yet provided details on the fix nor a notification schedule on the recall. Concerned owners of the affected models can contact BMW at 1-800-525-7417.

link:

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2010/07/bmw-5-series-gt-owners-beware-your-fuel.html

balthazar    2,007

They should make a 'combo' recall- IIRC it was BMW with the most inaccurate speedometers in the industry, too- I think they read an average of 7 MPH (high. of course). What crap.

Nick    31

They should make a 'combo' recall- IIRC it was BMW with the most inaccurate speedometers in the industry, too- I think they read an average of 7 MPH (high. of course). What crap.

Actually I think I remember some e36 3-series guys claiming a difference of up to 10mph @ 100mph. That issue dates back a ways...I am not sure if there exists issues of it still (though nothing surprises me anymore.) Apparently there is an acceptable margin of error with speedos as long as they read higher, (or so I have heard ?). I suppose it is a good tactic to make the driver think they are going faster than they really are. :P

Ultimate driving machine.