Sign in to follow this  
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Rumormill: Smart Roadster to make a comeback

3 posts in this topic

Rumormill: Smart Roadster to make a comeback

by Zach Bowman (RSS feed) on Jul 23rd 2010 at 7:00PM

The internets are abuzz with word that the recent partnership between Mercedes-Benz and Renault may allow the the long dead Smart Roadster to be revived. The folks at Autocar report that a source within Smart says the company has had its eyes on bringing the roadster back to market for awhile now. Evidently, the purveyor of pint-sized transportation is interested in branching out from its city car roots – something that the recent partnership with Renault just might facilitate. Renault has a host of experience producing inexpensive small cars that Smart just might be able to capitalize on.

Autocar doesn't say exactly which Renault model Smart would use as the basis for the reborn Roadster, but there is some indication that other products may be part of the company's plans as well. The article even made mention of a potential Mini Countryman competitor, meaning that Smart is eying jumping into the CUV fray. Either way, any new blood in the Smart portfolio is bound to help. With fuel prices down, American buyers aren't interested in making the kind of sacrifices that the ForTwo requires, but an ultra-compact convertible? That has some potential.

link:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/23/rumormill-smart-roadster-to-make-a-comeback/

regfootball    250

I see a few around here. The problem is here in the US there is no value in buying a smart, nor is there performance, or fuel economy. I am guessing insurance is a bitch too. Just having two seats is a limiting thing in the market as well.

In the end, the only reason you'd buy a smart logically is you have trouble parking and getting around town. Or, You just like something unique.

I really can't fault the concept and the car itself is cheeky.

If Smart addressed the fuel economy first, and the performance, I think they could have a hope.

I'd buy one if I wanted a spare toy car. And if it got 50mpg and could crack 60 mph in 9 seconds.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this