Sign in to follow this  
NewsFeeder

BMW Classic Center completes '72 3.0 CSi restoration for lucky owner

Filed under: Classics, Coupe, BMW

1972 BMW 3.0 CSi
1972 BMW 3.0 CSi - Click above for high-res image gallery

An increasing portion of BMW's revenue in recent years has come from dealing in older cars. The Munich brand's certified pre-owned program that reconditions and sells warranted used cars has reportedly been very profitable. Now BMW is taking that idea to a whole new level by opening the Classic Center workshop. The Classic Center offers a variety of services from parts re-manufacturing to full vehicle restorations.

The facility recently finished its first complete restoration of a 1972 BMW 3.0 CSi coupe. In addition to bringing the CSi back to pristine condition, the owner had BMW convert the coupe's transmission, originally a manual, to an automatic. The owner took possession of his restored beauty at the BMW Welt in Munich, which until now has only been used for new car deliveries.

[source: BMW]

Continue reading BMW Classic Center completes '72 3.0 CSi restoration for lucky owner

BMW Classic Center completes '72 3.0 CSi restoration for lucky owner originally appeared on Autoblog on Sun, 25 Jul 2010 11:07:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=iv_3F1IL7H0:OmjCy090MtE:wF9xT autoblog?i=iv_3F1IL7H0:OmjCy090MtE:V_sGL
iv_3F1IL7H0

View the full article

That's pretty awesome to be able to have the manufacture restore the car for you.

:yes:

That's pretty awesome to be able to have the manufacturer restore the car for you.

Nissan's been restoring 240Zs... unless its contracting it out.

Of course, IMHO, this is the ultimate in being green, not driving a Prius.

From a manual to an automatic? Blasphemous!

And if GM does that it would make billions. Because 50's, 60s, and 70s would have more cars worth restoring than making cars CPOs.

GM has restored vintage cars of it's own, also.

For 1, a very clean/original '64 GTO pillared coupe was restored. IIRC, it was the original owner who returned the Goat to GM.

I specifically remember them leaving a section of the steering assembly unpainted (and thusly, fairly rapidly, it flash-rusted) rather than paint it, since that was the way that component originally came off the line. Car was 100% factory-spec. I believe GM kept it, tho.

Edited by balthazar

It's not the same as being able to take your vintage car to the company that made it and having them restore it. From what I understand this is what BMW is doing, and that's really cool.

I bet if this became really popular, the gov't would shut it down because the classics don't meet current safety specs. There are too many politicians that won't be happy unless everyone's driving a Priusmobile.

It's not the same as being able to take your vintage car to the company that made it and having them restore it. From what I understand this is what BMW is doing, and that's really cool.

It's BMW's first vintage one from my read.

It's the same from the corporate standpoint- the ability & experience is there in both cases. I'm sure GM has restored more vintage vehicles than BMW over time.

And I'll bet you if you pay for it, GM would restore a classic. They just aren't talking about a program to do so (and I don't expect they would- esp at this point in time). However, even if they just offered to restore vintage post-war Chevys, perhaps offering modernized drivetrains too, they would make an absolute killing. There is FAR more vintage resto support for Chevrolet than bimmer.

What I wonder is what Johnny Law says about the practice in the U.S. ...

And if GM does that it would make billions. Because 50's, 60s, and 70s would have more cars worth restoring than making cars CPOs.

Agreed. A "new" pink Fleetwood or whatever sharing the showroom with a CTS would be sweet. Maybe keep the body and interior, but modernize it to today's standards.

Agreed. A "new" pink Fleetwood or whatever sharing the showroom with a CTS would be sweet. Maybe keep the body and interior, but modernize it to today's standards.

While it would be neat, a modern car with a classic body isn't as easy as it should be. For example, a number of hood ornaments, trim pieces, etc on classics stick out, and wouldn't fly on a new production vehicle today because of pedestrian safety standards.